Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Big Top 1980s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:36 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
SQ Big Top 1980s

My first ever international flight as a kid was on a Big Top back in 1989. I'd love to hear from those of you who remember this plane, especially the different classes. I seem to recall business class sections both in the main cabin and upstairs. The upstairs section I remember vividly because I was allowed to visit the cockpit mid-flight (yes, it was a different time back then). On my way to the lavatory downstairs I recall passing by what looked like business class seats (wider and more legroom compared to economy with blue/greenish fabric) but why would I walk by the J cabin on my way to the lav remains a mystery. Either those weren't J class seats or moving between cabins was permitted back in those days. I can't remember. And on one of my flights I remember being seated right behind the First Class section in the nose... so either J class was upstairs on that config or there was a mini Y section sandwiched between F and J classes downstairs.

Have you ever flown the Big Top in First or Business? What was it like? Of course if anyone has photos or seat maps, feel free to post. I have such fond memories of this plane and of SQ in general. It was a class act back then even in coach...
Cryofern likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Here's the seat map:

https://www.boeing-747.com/seating_l...eat_layout.php
allthem likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AaaChiuuu
That's the "Mega Top" 747-400 which was introduced later. I was referring to the 747-300s which were called "Big Top"... more info here about the history of the 747 fleet:

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...17Feb2012-1545
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:18 pm

I flew a "Big Top" from AKL-SIN in 1988 and remember being in J on the main deck. I also recall we were invited to the cockpit and I remember thinking how spacious it was. On the same trip we also flew on the "Big Top" SIN-AMS with a stop in Mumbai (for fuel?).

On another AKL-SIN flight in 1991 I was in J on the upper deck and if memory serves it was when Raffles Class branding had just launched. On this flight the AKL caterers were on strike and we ended up with food from a local restaurant.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Never flew the Big Top, had a couple of flights on the SQ 25/26 Mega Top before they retired those. Sad to see the 744s going to the boneyard.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC
I flew on a Big Top 747 in 1990 from SIN to PER in the first row of economy. I remember the flight attendants being amazingly friendly and being a kid, I was invited up the spiral staircase to visit the cockpit. There were three people on the flight deck at the time, the English captain Dennis, the co-pilot and the flight engineer. Each took time to explain what they did, answer my many questions and pose for photos. I've held fond memories of SQ ever since then, and fly with them whenever I can.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzed
I flew a "Big Top" from AKL-SIN in 1988 and remember being in J on the main deck. I also recall we were invited to the cockpit and I remember thinking how spacious it was. On the same trip we also flew on the "Big Top" SIN-AMS with a stop in Mumbai (for fuel?).

On another AKL-SIN flight in 1991 I was in J on the upper deck and if memory serves it was when Raffles Class branding had just launched. On this flight the AKL caterers were on strike and we ended up with food from a local restaurant.
I also flew SIN-AKL//AKL-SIN in 1986 when working in Singapore in the mid-80s. I flew in economy, but I do recall the Y seating being generously sized and the food being pretty good. Sadly few photos from those days, and none of the aircraft I travelled around Asia in the mid-80s unfortunately. Only relic is the paper ticket from my first ever THAI airways flight SIN-HKT-SIN in 1985.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Far Siren
My first ever international flight as a kid was on a Big Top back in 1989. I'd love to hear from those of you who remember this plane, especially the different classes. I seem to recall business class sections both in the main cabin and upstairs. The upstairs section I remember vividly because I was allowed to visit the cockpit mid-flight (yes, it was a different time back then). On my way to the lavatory downstairs I recall passing by what looked like business class seats (wider and more legroom compared to economy with blue/greenish fabric) but why would I walk by the J cabin on my way to the lav remains a mystery. Either those weren't J class seats or moving between cabins was permitted back in those days. I can't remember. And on one of my flights I remember being seated right behind the First Class section in the nose... so either J class was upstairs on that config or there was a mini Y section sandwiched between F and J classes downstairs.

Have you ever flown the Big Top in First or Business? What was it like? Of course if anyone has photos or seat maps, feel free to post. I have such fond memories of this plane and of SQ in general. It was a class act back then even in coach...
As a kid you might have been allowed special dispensation to use a WC outside your cabin Some versions of SQ's 747s (including the 400 in the early days before they went full flat) extended first class beyond door 1, so there would have been some sort of 'mini' row or two with those seats. AFAIK they never adopted any configuration with economy between F and J. Raffles class was always behind first, and on the upper deck. The seats in Raffles class were originally pretty similar to First class in size.

Originally Posted by turbo79
I flew on a Big Top 747 in 1990 from SIN to PER in the first row of economy. I remember the flight attendants being amazingly friendly and being a kid, I was invited up the spiral staircase to visit the cockpit. There were three people on the flight deck at the time, the English captain Dennis, the co-pilot and the flight engineer. Each took time to explain what they did, answer my many questions and pose for photos. I've held fond memories of SQ ever since then, and fly with them whenever I can.
I think you have a mix of aircraft here The 747-300 'big top' had a three person flight crew, but the staircase was long, situated by door two (same as the 747-400). The 747-100/200/SP had the spiral staircase (or sometimes box) staircase located by door 1.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Some of us were on the last flight SQ 747 SIN - HKG & some did RT HKG - SIN , 6 April ‘ 12 . It was bitter sweet .
Was on 18 A but switched to my usual 17 , Raffles Upper Deck , as possibly my first FTer friend wanted the window

Needless to say , there were quite a few FTers on board .

Have some photos , may have another FTer post them unless I figure out what to do ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 29, 2020 at 8:28 am
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:17 am

Here is what your looking for from 1986.

sl00001, cowie, Carfield and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

These are great thank you Qatar Airways!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:52 pm

I remember one more config that's not shown in the pics above - J class on the lower deck was only on the left with a galley on the right (think ala TG's 744 at one stage)

This was circa 1988 - and was on 9V-SKA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.