Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ New updated Travel Waiver Policy (9th Apr 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ New updated Travel Waiver Policy (9th Apr 2020)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 4:35 pm

New policy change 5/29

They've updated their policy now so that "tickets issued on or before 15 March 2020 for travel between 24 January to 31 July 2020" qualify for a refund or future credit with bonus.

I was supposed to have flown one-way to Singapore on February 25th for a cruise that was cancelled due to the virus and had no reason or desire to go to Singapore at that point. I had a non-refundable ticket and never got any satisfaction from SQ or Chase Travel (who I had booked thru) and had all but given up hope of getting anything back. ANYWAY, fast forward to today and I just got this email from SQ. Looks like I'll be getting my refund, after all! I'm shocked. I wonder what happened that caused them to change their minds?

Dear Sir/Madam, As these unprecedented times continue, we would like to reassure you that Singapore Airlines continues to place your interests at the heart of everything we do. All Singapore Airlines and SilkAir tickets issued on or before 15 March 2020 for travel between 24 January to 31 July 2020, and any flights cancelled by us due to Covid-19 are now fully covered by our global travel waiver policy. This provides you with the following two options:

1. Retain the value of the unused portion of your ticket as flight credits.This option enables you to:
  • Rebook travel up to 31 December 2021 with rebooking fees waived
  • Choose a new destination or fare type on rebooking
  • Use any surplus flight credits towards a second booking
  • Consider using flight credits to book a higher fare class ticket
  • Receive bonus flight credits, ranging from SGD75 to SGD500, for all unutilised adult fare tickets
  • Obtain a refund for excess baggage and seat selection fees associated to your original booking
Note: Bonus flight credits will be based on your original cabin class, corresponding bonus flight credits in your local currency, may be found here.

2. Opt for a refund for the unused portion of your ticket, which entails the following:
  • Having your remaining ticket value refunded to its original mode of payment
  • A refund of all excess baggage and seat selection fees associated to your original booking
  • A waiver of any cancellation or no show fees
All our travel agency partners have been made aware of these changes, and we encourage you to speak to them to find out about the options available to you. You needn't take any action, if you have already chosen to retain your ticket as flight credits or requested a refund via your travel agent. The full terms and conditions of our global travel waiver policy may be found here, and further details on flight and bonus flight credits may be found here. We look forward to flying with you again in the near future.

Last edited by MisterBill; May 31, 2020 at 9:54 am
Old May 29, 2020, 5:28 pm

Booked by or travel by June 30, 2021

Just received an email that my 72k is deposited back in account . Is this booked or travel by June 30,2021.
original flight was booked in August 2019 from JFK to FRA biz class award ticket.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metoo
Just received an email that my 72k is deposited back in account . Is this booked or travel by June 30,2021.
original flight was booked in August 2019 from JFK to FRA biz class award ticket.
the new expiry of the miles is jun 30 , 2021. So u have to book by that date.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:51 pm

Thanks . Good to hear . I don’t plan to vacation till early 2022
Old May 31, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Hi guys,

Just to be clear, any flights ticketed prior to March 15, 2020 with a travel date prior to July 31 is eligible for a full refund back to original form of payment? Even though the flight is NOT canceled by the airline?

And does this apply to non refundable fares too?
Old May 31, 2020, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supatight80
Hi guys,

Just to be clear, any flights ticketed prior to March 15, 2020 with a travel date prior to July 31 is eligible for a full refund back to original form of payment? Even though the flight is NOT canceled

by the airline?

yes. Any flights which meet above criteria even if it is not cancelled by airlines
for all fares categories

MisterBill likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by supatight80
Hi guys,

Just to be clear, any flights ticketed prior to March 15, 2020 with a travel date prior to July 31 is eligible for a full refund back to original form of payment? Even though the flight is NOT canceled by the airline?

They sent me the email and I had a non-refundable ticket and was a no-show for my flight in February. If they come back and say that I do not qualify, I will NOT be happy since there is nothing in the terms that exclude it.

Unfortunately, since I booked thru an agent, I had to get them to request the refund. I tried the form on the SQ website and it asked me for the ticket number and then told me to talk to my booking agent.

In checking another thread here on refund timings, it seems like it will be 2+ months to get my money back. But I guess it's better than not getting it back at all.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
So today I found out my July flight, booked with SQ miles and operated by AC, has been cancelled by AC (not that they ever told me). SQ.com can't pull up any info, other than: "The flights in your booking are fully flown, or your booking has been cancelled. For flights cancelled by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir, you may check if you're eligible to retain the unused value of your ticket as flight credits. Visit our Covid-19 Information Centre to learn more."

Does anyone know the best way to get my miles back in this case? Thanks.
Old May 31, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by italdesign
So today I found out my July flight, booked with SQ miles and operated by AC, has been cancelled by AC (not that they ever told me). SQ.com can't pull up any info, other than: "The flights in your booking are fully flown, or your booking has been cancelled. For flights cancelled by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir, you may check if you're eligible to retain the unused value of your ticket as flight credits. Visit our Covid-19 Information Centre to learn more."

Does anyone know the best way to get my miles back in this case? Thanks.
call KrisFlyer. It is the one refunding your miles.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
FYI , this is what I received 1 June - hope it helps :

Changes to your flight
Booking reference

Dear Sir/Madam, We regret to inform you that SQ352, scheduled to depart from Singapore to Copenhagen on 22 Jun 2020 at 23:50, has been cancelled. If your ticket was purchased from our website, mobile app or any of our reservation offices, the full value of the unused portion of your ticket may be used to rebook another flight by 31 December 2021. You may also be eligible for bonus flight credits on rebooking. No further action will be required by you. For customers holding a redemption ticket or Mix KrisFlyer Miles and Cash bookings, refunds may be requested via this form. Your miles will be refunded to the KrisFlyer account(s) from where the miles were originally deducted, and cash to the original mode of payment. Fees to redeposit miles back to your account will be waived, and any expiring miles will be extended where applicable. If your ticket was purchased from a travel agent, please contact your agent for assistance. For more details, please visit our Covid-19 Information Centre or check out our FAQs below. Please ignore this message if the value of the unused portion of your ticket has already been retained in the form of flight credits or if you have recently requested for a refund.​ Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.​ Yours sincerely,
Singapore Airlines

Frequently Asked Questions: What is the value of my flight and bonus credits? If you have not completed any of the sectors in your booking, your flight credits will be equivalent to the amount you paid for the fare inclusive of taxes. You may wish to refer to the e-ticket that was sent to your registered email address at the point of booking for the amount paid. In addition, each adult booking will be entitled to bonus flight credits, ranging from SGD 75 to SGD 500, based on the original cabin class at the point of booking.
Customers holding redemption and Mix KrisFlyer Miles and Cash tickets are not eligible for flight or bonus flight credits.​
I am ready to rebook what should I do? When you are ready to rebook your new travel itinerary, please use our online form to inform us, and a customer service representative will reach out to assist you with your request. Please do not use Manage Booking to rebook your travel.
What if I want a refund? You may request a refund for your remaining flight itinerary through our online form. Our customer service agent will help issue a refund for your ticket, as well as any seat selection fees and additional baggage, to the original mode of payment.
How long will a refund take? We aim to process refunds as soon as we can. However due to the high volume of requests, we seek your patience and understanding as we work through your requests.

Download SingaporeAir mobile app
Explore an extensive library of newspapers and magazines right at your fingertips on the SingaporeAir mobile app. Download it now here. This is an automatically generated message. Please do not reply to this email address. You may not use, reproduce, or transfer this message or its contents into any medium without the written permission of Singapore Airlines Limited.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I had an award flight in May 2 pax Suites JFK-SIN that was of course canceled. I haven't gotten my refund or anything - any chance of just pushing it to next year regardless of available inventory? I'd rebook myself, but have yet to find 2 seats in Suites on that route even out to EOS.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I had an award flight in May 2 pax Suites JFK-SIN that was of course canceled. I haven't gotten my refund or anything - any chance of just pushing it to next year regardless of available inventory? I'd rebook myself, but have yet to find 2 seats in Suites on that route even out to EOS.
You won't find even 1 saver seat on that route and they will not under any circumstance rebook you in to saver. SIA had the gaul to tell me they'd be happy to rebook me if I gave them the original miles + nearly $10,000 USD. You read that right. I'm reviewing options with my attorney.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by saaveraward
You won't find even 1 saver seat on that route and they will not under any circumstance rebook you in to saver. SIA had the gaul to tell me they'd be happy to rebook me if I gave them the original miles + nearly $10,000 USD. You read that right. I'm reviewing options with my attorney.
I figured, but thought I'd see what the hive mind thought. Thanks! Too bad COVID ruined the two seats I did find. I'll see what they say.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I figured, but thought I'd see what the hive mind thought. Thanks! Too bad COVID ruined the two seats I did find. I'll see what they say.
Good luck. Attempted extortion doesn't sit well with me.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
yes. Any flights which meet above criteria even if it is not cancelled by airlines
for all fares categories

Thanks!

Got another quick question,

My departing flight is on July 30th & my return flight is on August 12 (1 ticket)

If I choose the refund route, does that mean I only get refunded half what I paid since the return flight is after July 31st?

I read from the waiver policy that the "unutilised sectors" have to be on or before July 31st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.