Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Cancel fee when Singapore now ban all foreigner to enter or transit through Changi?

Cancel fee when Singapore now ban all foreigner to enter or transit through Changi?

Old Mar 23, 20, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

So i got the memo directly from SIA site about the government ban foreigner to enter or transit through Changi Airport so i called in to cancel my upcoming award flights on 4/29/2020, the rep said I still get charge $75 cancel fee? I don't understand why they do this because even if i keep the booking i cannot fly from SGN-SIN-LAX anyway...

Last edited by hondaman82; Mar 23, 20 at 11:43 pm
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:58 pm

Escalate. Obviously someone didnít get the right memo.
lokijuh likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
When is your travel date?
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi, April 29 is the travel date
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wait a few days. Nothing gets to the front line people quickly. Chances are that there will be mass cancellations anyway and once the flight is cancelled, there won't be any need for you to cancel in any event.
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Maybe best approach, rather than calling in again and risking getting another incompetent operator, you could submit online requesting redeposit of miles. You travel is within the current fee waiver period.
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:25 pm

Greedy passenger? Wants to cancel for free, when 96% of SIA employees will have no job soon.

But anyway, you can do what lokijuh recommended or just wait til your flight is cancelled (it will be soon)
Old Mar 23, 20, 10:26 pm

Programs: A3*S, LH, SQ, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Marriot Silver
What has that got to do with greed? Travel on or before 30 Apr is clearly within SIA's current waiver policy whether the flight is cancelled or not.

So asking for a free change to future flight is fine though a full cash refund (vs. travel credit) will be more challenging especially when flight is not yet cancelled. If a flex fare you would still have to pay cancellation fee to get the cash back or wait until flight is cancelled officially. Non-refundable fare best option is to take the credit else you'll be in for a battle.

The challenge here is that the information about cancelled flights, latest policies etc. does not seem to flow well to agents / people handling the queries / cases. That is a bit messy as customers shouldn't have more up to date info then the SIA staff. YMMV.

PS: The figure of 96% is the number of capacity cuts that SIA is implementing, not number of employees to be let go. No such announcements have been made yet about layoffs though there is a risk of course.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by demue View Post
What has that got to do with greed? Travel on or before 30 Apr is clearly within SIA's current waiver policy whether the flight is cancelled or not.

So asking for a free change to future flight is fine though a full cash refund (vs. travel credit) will be more challenging especially when flight is not yet cancelled. If a flex fare you would still have to pay cancellation fee to get the cash back or wait until flight is cancelled officially. Non-refundable fare best option is to take the credit else you'll be in for a battle.

The challenge here is that the information about cancelled flights, latest policies etc. does not seem to flow well to agents / people handling the queries / cases. That is a bit messy as customers shouldn't have more up to date info then the SIA staff. YMMV.

PS: The figure of 96% is the number of capacity cuts that SIA is implementing, not number of employees to be let go. No such announcements have been made yet about layoffs though there is a risk of course.
Ask the OP. OP said "greedy company" ...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: