In Singapore, advice sought

Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Zilchster
Well with the community spread in the foreign workers' dorms in Singapore, things are not looking good. Singaporeans and residents have been issued with resuable masks. I don't think you are entitled to one unfortunately. I suggest that you return to the US.
My girlfriend and I prepared masks in February for personal use.. we have a few hundred. Originally, I thought I would need them for Japan. Then my flights to Japan got cancelled, so we're using the masks here. I don't go outside without a mask, unless it's exercise in a park and not near anyone. Sometimes other joggers will sneak up behind me panting over hard.. I don't like that. Everyone should just keep their distance right now and practice social distancing. It's also not good that some locals are talking non-stop in shared elevators / lifts without wearing masks. People need to take more precautions and be more courteous of others at this time.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:10 am

There are flights to LAX this month. Direct flight.
One way economy fare at around S$988

actually this is more or less a cargo flight but they do take in some paxes as well as there are still paxes returning from USA.

The first flight last week to LAX only have 3 paxes.

Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was at ION office the other day and had basically 2 mins wait time. Some people across the aisle were re-booked onto one of those LAX flight from what I heard so definitely seems that there is space and SQ plan to operate them selectively in April. You can just book it online as the other poster showed. Shouldn't be a problem. Transportation within the US is a different story though there is still a limited domestic schedule being operated by the major carriers.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
The SQ Ion office is closed now. You'll have to head to Changi Airport T3 if you need any ticketing support.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
There are flights to LAX this month. Direct flight.
One way economy fare at around S$988

actually this is more or less a cargo flight but they do take in some paxes as well as there are still paxes returning from USA.

The first flight last week to LAX only have 3 paxes.

Bargain. Are they offering full service, or just lunch bags?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by davidj1
Bargain. Are they offering full service, or just lunch bags?
You are flying at this time for the food??

(Audio)
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fimo
The SQ Ion office is closed now. You'll have to head to Changi Airport T3 if you need any ticketing support.
Who says that? You know or assume?

I was there on Monday and asked the SQ staff if they will close the ION Center as of Tue, 7 Apr in line with the "circuit breaker" measures and they confirmed that they will still be open throughout as they are considered an essential transportation service provider. Not sure this will stay as is, but that was the info as of 2 days ago directly from the people who should know.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by demue
Who says that? You know or assume?
I don't assume.

sl00001 and williamluk like this.

Last edited by fimo; Apr 8, 2020 at 2:17 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by treepuppy
I'm not staying in a hotel. I live with my long-term Singaporean girlfriend in our apartment, but that's off-topic.

I was at SQ's main office last week asking for any options to the U.S. They told me there are none. Are you certain that the flights to LAX are running? The schedule on SQ's web site does not reflect the reality of flights. Although I don't live in California and my home state is thousands of KMs away (it would be like flying to Fuzhou near Taiwan when your home city is actually in Harbin near Russia), and California is predicted to be the next world COVID-19 hotspot within the next few weeks (though hopefully not), I'd still consider it as an option if I'm sure the flights actually exist. We stay about 1 hour by public transport from SQ's main office, so it's not the easiest thing to keep going down there to ask in person. Last time I tried calling SQ, I was on hold for two and a half hours, and when someone picked up they immediately said they are unable to answer any scheduling questions.. only if I have a question about a reservation within the next 24 hours.

This is a difficult time for EVERYONE. It's not like people aren't trying.
The scheduling has definitely been erratic, at one point there weren't any flights planned, then suddenly a whole bunch appeared - I believe as another poster has indicated they are primarily for cargo but are accepting the odd passenger if they need to travel. I have called SQ a couple of times the past week and got through immediately each time to a "proper" agent (I think at the height of the rush they had some temps handling calls who's job was just to send you back to the website!)

So it's definitely possible to go and once in the US air travel is possible, as part of the bail out airlines are not allowed to close any stations. The frequency may be limited however
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by fimo
I don't assume.

SQ FB announcement

Fair enough, haha. I was there lunch time on Monday and the staff were convinced they would remain open. What difference a few hours make apparently. So my gut feel was right to go on Monday as a last chance before May and am glad I got my items (April and early May flights) sorted for the time being.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:42 am

Did mr treepuppy manage to fly out ? I see a number of flight to Tokyo operating. N SIN-LAX flights as well.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Did mr treepuppy manage to fly out ? I see a number of flight to Tokyo operating. N SIN-LAX flights as well.
He's back and posting. It seems he got a month's extension of the visa in Singapore and now is looking to see how to get from Singapore back to the US.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:53 am

Arrow

Originally Posted by s0ssos
He's back and posting. It seems he got a month's extension of the visa in Singapore and now is looking to see how to get from Singapore back to the US.
That's correct, and I planned to take ANA SIN -> Tokyo -> Seattle but then those flights were cancelled a few days ago until 01 June, 2020. So now I don't know what to do. I have a lot of extreme flight phobia. I've managed 9 - 10 hour flights before with a lot of stress, but never attempted a 16 hour non-stop flight before. I know most people on these forums don't have aviophobia or an extreme case of fear of flying, unfortunately I do though. That's actually why I joined these forums. It has helped to learn more about flying and read experiences from other people, but in general I still have serious problems with any flights over 8 - 9 hours. I can't sleep on planes either and don't drink anymore. Basically, the last longhaul flights that I took caused very scary panic attacks for me, so I don't know how to overcome that in a short period of time for a 16 hour flight to L.A.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:07 am

That's correct, and I planned to take ANA SIN -> Tokyo -> Seattle but then those flights were cancelled a few days ago until 01 June, 2020. So now I don't know what to do. I have a lot of extreme flight phobia. I've managed 9 - 10 hour flights before with a lot of stress, but never attempted a 16 hour non-stop flight before. I know most people on these forums don't have aviophobia or an extreme case of fear of flying, unfortunately I do though. That's actually why I joined these forums. It has helped to learn more about flying and read experiences from other people, but in general I still have serious problems with any flights over 8 - 9 hours. I can't sleep on planes either and don't drink anymore. Basically, the last longhaul flights that I took caused very scary panic attacks for me, so I don't know how to overcome that in a short period of time for a 16 hour flight to L.A.
Given some suggestions via the Q&A thread. Not sure how doable those are but JAL and Eva Air might still be operating to Seattle. Worth a look.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:50 am

as per separate post ANA is still selling SIN-NRT-LAX-SEA or SIN-NRT-SFO-SEA. Seem to have a flight every two days. Not sure why u mention it is cancelled ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.