Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Singapore, advice sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by williamluk
Intensive Care Unit cost upwards of 7-8k a night. My friend suffered a serious illness last year while visiting and end up in ICU for 2 weeks. The bill came to 130k. Go figure.
My friend had an appendectomy last year, and even for such a (relatively) routine surgery the bill was 36k (Mt E Novena)
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
In the same boat in Singapore now. Afraid Sg will ask tourists to leave before shutting the airport, but I believe it is an extremely unlikely scenario. Hopefully the new cases in S'pore will taper off and government will ease off restrictions soon. We should all meet up.
Umm, isn't social distancing a "thing" there yet to reduce contagion?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:55 pm

If it comes to a point where Singapore has to decline critical care, it's hard to think of anywhere better to be (Japan/SK are the only options). UK & USA will definitely not be able to offer better care at that point, citizen or not.

At the end of 90 days, Singapore can't ask you to leave unless there is a viable way to get back to your home country, so there is little benefit in leaving now.

The only real concern is that they'll ask all tourists to leave while they still have 4% of the flights going, but I believe it to be highly unlikely. The only countries that did that are in the Caribbean. Singapore healthcare is not on trajectory to be overwhelmed. They have little to gain but expelling tourists.

Originally Posted by estnet
Umm, isn't social distancing a "thing" there yet to reduce contagion?
There is close to zero community spread in Singapore and restaurants all open, albeit mostly not crowded (no tourists).

The only thing closed in Singapore is the Apple Store
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Pleb
If it comes to a point where Singapore has to decline critical care, it's hard to think of anywhere better to be (Japan/SK are the only options). UK & USA will definitely not be able to offer better care at that point, citizen or not.

At the end of 90 days, Singapore can't ask you to leave unless there is a viable way to get back to your home country, so there is little benefit in leaving now.

The only real concern is that they'll ask all tourists to leave while they still have 4% of the flights going, but I believe it to be highly unlikely. The only countries that did that are in the Caribbean. Singapore healthcare is not on trajectory to be overwhelmed. They have little to gain but expelling tourists.
I believe Spain, Malta both asked tourists to leave and closed Airbnbs/hotels; there may be others.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:50 am

It's best you proactively reach out to ICA to pre-empt this situation, and ask what your options are. I wouldn't wait til it's close to the deadline before reaching out, as they are likely to already be swamped.

As for medical care, it is possible for a private hospital bill run into nearly 100k within a couple of weeks. My mother was hospitalized at Mount E Orchard for 5 months (requiring ICU except for the last 2-3 weeks) and her bill came up to about 500k. Not sure if there will be additional charges for isolation etc if it's cos of COVID. I hope you have some form of hospitalization insurance, if not, I'm not sure if it's possible for you to cover yourself with one now.
xerosum likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
It's best you proactively reach out to ICA to pre-empt this situation, and ask what your options are. I wouldn't wait til it's close to the deadline before reaching out, as they are likely to already be swamped.

As for medical care, it is possible for a private hospital bill run into nearly 100k within a couple of weeks. My mother was hospitalized at Mount E Orchard for 5 months (requiring ICU except for the last 2-3 weeks) and her bill came up to about 500k. Not sure if there will be additional charges for isolation etc if it's cos of COVID. I hope you have some form of hospitalization insurance, if not, I'm not sure if it's possible for you to cover yourself with one now.
I’m over two months from the expiration, so I suspect if I ask them what the plans are for two months from now they will burst out laughing.

I’m insured.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by xerosum
I suppose that if other countries took the reciprocal measure of banning Singaporeans (already in country before the situation had worsened) from receiving treatment there would be an equal outcry. It might even be a violation of international treaty obligations.
I would agree with you if these are normal times; but these are not normal times. Singapore is calling all its citizens back into this country, and helping them get here. If UK has called you home, and you failed to take personal responsibility to return home; I don't see sympathy by either country (Singapore or UK).

If you were advised you to not to go to a country, and you went anyway, and then needed help, I don't think your native country would bend over backwards to help you. Similarly, UK has called its citizens home. If you choose ignore this, then is UK still responsible to advocate for you? I would think you now are assuming personal responsibility for your own health. (And if UK no longer is responsible for your health, then why should Singapore be?) It would be very reasonable for a country to say: "Sorry, we have to take care of our citizens first."

Let's have a hypothetical-- If NHS had only one bed, and 2 patients showed up: 1) a UK citizen who had paid into the system all their life with concerned family members in tow, or 2) a tourist, who do you think NHS would give priority to? Who do you think the staff would check in? And if you still think the tourist would be given priority, then add in Asian culture that respects family and elders. Remember, a Singaporean will have many family members invested in that patient -- and all of these are voters.

Sorry to seem harsh, but you seem to want reassurance that Singapore will take care of you and aren't listening to what the Singapore residents are telling you. If you read the news articles cited in this thread, or listen to the speeches by the ministers, it is clear that the concern is for the Singaporeans.

My advice stays the same -- if you want to stay in Singapore, just stay healthy and don't get infected.
xerosum and Lightraveller like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happybelly
I would agree with you if these are normal times; but these are not normal times. Singapore is calling all its citizens back into this country, and helping them get here. If UK has called you home, and you failed to take personal responsibility to return home; I don't see sympathy by either country (Singapore or UK).

If you were advised you to not to go to a country, and you went anyway, and then needed help, I don't think your native country would bend over backwards to help you. Similarly, UK has called its citizens home. If you choose ignore this, then is UK still responsible to advocate for you? I would think you now are assuming personal responsibility for your own health. (And if UK no longer is responsible for your health, then why should Singapore be?) It would be very reasonable for a country to say: "Sorry, we have to take care of our citizens first."

Let's have a hypothetical-- If NHS had only one bed, and 2 patients showed up: 1) a UK citizen who had paid into the system all their life with concerned family members in tow, or 2) a tourist, who do you think NHS would give priority to? Who do you think the staff would check in? And if you still think the tourist would be given priority, then add in Asian culture that respects family and elders. Remember, a Singaporean will have many family members invested in that patient -- and all of these are voters.

Sorry to seem harsh, but you seem to want reassurance that Singapore will take care of you and aren't listening to what the Singapore residents are telling you. If you read the news articles cited in this thread, or listen to the speeches by the ministers, it is clear that the concern is for the Singaporeans.

My advice stays the same -- if you want to stay in Singapore, just stay healthy and don't get infected.
Not entirely fair. There has been a mixture of advice in this thread, some advising to stay, some advising to leave. I am highly grateful for all the advice. Your post about family ethos is persuasive. I pushed back in a couple of places, but you may be confusing me with some of the more sanguine respondents.

For what it's worth, in all the coverage I've seen of the NHS, where there have been more deaths, I (refreshingly) haven't seen much evidence so far of 'those bleedin' foreigners'.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:53 am

Personally I'd ride out the 90 days here- there are plenty of "staycation" deals to be had. Just taking great care to socially distance etc

In terms of leaving, currently it does look like SQ are tentatively planning to resume 1 x daily LHR in mid April. BA currently have their daily 777 on the schedule but are facing issues with Sydney transit passengers being barred, so that's fluid. But 90 days is a lot time in the current world - by then a visa run within Asia may be possible if you want to stay longer. But at least the UK situation will hopefully have peaked by then.

I really cannot imagine a Spain style situation where tourists will be evicted unless the situation here rapidly deteriorates - but then it would need flights to be running to deport you on...
xerosum likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
Does anyone know the best way to do this? I rang the number today several times but the message was ‘please call back later’.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by xerosum
Does anyone know the best way to do this? I rang the number today several times but the message was ‘please call back later’.
u mention that you are sixty days away from datelines right ? Suggest you wait another one month to see how it go. Hopefully it will stabilize.

If really need to talk to ICA, can go down personally (lavender mrt) or maybe can write email. I think it is [email protected].
xerosum likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Additional measures have been announced today, worth reading through all the details so you can decide how this might influence your decision to stay/leave.

News: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...rings-12571538
Official govt circular: https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...ad-of-covid-19

Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: Krisflyer

There is close to zero community spread in Singapore and restaurants all open, albeit mostly not crowded (no tourists).

The only thing closed in Singapore is the Apple Store

From Thurs 11.59 PM all bars, cinemas and places of entertainment will be closed. We have several clusters, including churches. I was contact traced after a few members of my church was diagnosed. I would not say there is no community spread.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Lightraveller
I would not say there is no community spread.
We've had community spread for months but vast majority of them were traceable ... until recently. Since the 2nd wave of returning residents brought the virus back with them from Europe and the USA, we've been getting a rising number of untraceable cases, these are the worrying ones (and probably the trigger for the govt's latest almost-lockdown-but-not-quite measures). If the untraceable case numbers continue rising I think sooner or later we might be forced into actual lockdown too.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by shuigao
We've had community spread for months but vast majority of them were traceable ... until recently. Since the 2nd wave of returning residents brought the virus back with them from Europe and the USA, we've been getting a rising number of untraceable cases, these are the worrying ones (and probably the trigger for the govt's latest almost-lockdown-but-not-quite measures). If the untraceable case numbers continue rising I think sooner or later we might be forced into actual lockdown too.
Indeed. And there's been anecdotes of folks coming back and not properly observing SHN, or those who rush back before the SHN but going about without taking any precautionary measures at all. And unfortunately a significant percentage (90% per local media) of cases from returnees only present symptoms a few days after they arrive, so that small window is a high risk of exposure, which is why furture returnees will be bused directly from the airport to a hotel where they will serve out SHN, all meals provided.

It's going to be a bit touch and go over the next two weeks and it'll heavily depend on people taking this seriously and also SHN family members to take extra precaution and not just go about as normal just because they aren't technically subject to SHN.

(SHN - stay home notice, where you are prohibited from leaving your residence for 14 days)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.