SQ solvency

Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
SQ solvency

I, like many others, am holding non-refundable tickets for travel soon that will likely be converted to open tickets due to the transit ban just enacted. These open tickets are essentially a voucher for future travel.

I assume SQ becoming insolvent is a real possibility.
I admit to knowing nothing about how SQ is owned so I have no idea what sort of financial backing they have.

How concerned should I and others be about SQ making it through this?

Given the much bigger issues this pandemic is presenting, I hope this post doesn't come across as selfish. If we all get through these horrible times and I'm left with a worthless travel voucher, so be it.
Brendan, tbm13 and Jaunt411 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
If SQ is allowed to fail, then it will be a sign of the end of Singapore Inc. Put simply, they are quite integral to the Singapore economy that one just cant see the government letting them fall over
Duhh, poopbunny, billgris and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
yeah. not gonna happen. Singapore Airlines will get all the govt backing needed to recover from this. If anything while a publicly traded company it's probably considered an essential govt 'asset' for security reasons too.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:35 am

Temasek Holdings controls quite a substantial share in Singapore Airlines I think.

Between Changi Airport and Singapore Airlines, the government will prioritize Changi as seen from the liberal air policy.

But SQ is a national carrier and national pride, the Singapore government won't allow it to fail. If they have to bail out only one carrier, between SQ and Jetstar, they will bail out SQ. In times of crisis, they still need Singapore Airlines, see the thread on the government arranging for Singapore Airlines to bring Singapore students in the UK home.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Zilchster
Temasek Holdings controls quite a substantial share in Singapore Airlines I think.

Between Changi Airport and Singapore Airlines, the government will prioritize Changi as seen from the liberal air policy.

But SQ is a national carrier and national pride, the Singapore government won't allow it to fail. If they have to bail out only one carrier, between SQ and Jetstar, they will bail out SQ. In times of crisis, they still need Singapore Airlines, see the thread on the government arranging for Singapore Airlines to bring Singapore students in the UK home.
temasek holding hold 55% of SIA.
Basically SIA is still hold by SIN gov.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: Accor Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SQ TPPS
Do not forget that the Finance Minister of Singapore holds the one special share in SQ.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: Alaska
Most todays operating carriers will continue after crisis. It is not likely that suddenly the world does not require air travel any more.

shareholders may be destroyed, not the company.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by work2fly
How concerned should I and others be about SQ making it through this?
https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...report1819.pdf

I am not in finance / finance-related line so I don't know how to read financial statements properly and this 'analysis' is therefore little more than guesswork.

But it seems to me that (i) Expenses are around 1.3b a month, and (ii) General Reserves are around 11.2b. Expenses will undoubtedly come down a bit by capacity cuts and pay reductions for staff, so even without government help it does seem that SQ won't be in too much trouble unless COVID lingers into Q4 or into next year.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:47 am

Programs: SQ KF, Marriott Bonvoy, GA Miles, QR Privilege
Can anyone here telling me what is the common ratio of fix cost vs variable cost in an airline?
That might be applicable as well with SQ.

I read somewhere that some of the crew are sent home unpaid, meaning they can manage the variable cost in some way.
Not sure about fix cost dilution though.

Thanks....
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:23 am

This is their latest financial statement
so staff cost/fuel is around 50% of their expenditure. Depreciation is around 13%. So these 3 are around 63%

depreciation cant be avoided. Staff cost - might be able to reduce a bit only? Fuel cost -should have some losses due to the hedge.
the rest should be able to reduce.

Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: SQ KF, Marriott Bonvoy, GA Miles, QR Privilege
Thank you for the P/L statement, sbs2716g

Never thought there is still big chunk of fix cost.
Temasek will be able to help easily with fresh cash if needed, in my opinion.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Highly unlikely that the government of Singapore that is rich in reserves would let the National carrier go bust .
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: EK Silver
OP, you have every right to be concerned, however I find it hard to believe that SQ would 'fail'.

I have travel booked in December / January which I could cancel, but won't (if that provides any reassurance to you!!).
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:57 am

SQ majority shareholder is the Singapore Government.

Singapore government holds US$280b forex reserves, besides for various global assets.

Singapore government annual budget is ~US$60B.

SQ isn't going bust.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
SIA is a strategic asset for Singapore (in terms of tourism and national security) and has usually been profitable in the past. So the SG government will not allow it to go bust.

The most Temasek will privatise SIA, like they did for SMRT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.