Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines helps to bring Singaporeans in the UK home

Old Mar 20, 20, 6:36 am
Original Poster

According to reports Singapore Airlines is working with the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs to bring back Singaporean citizens and PRs amid the covid-19 outbreak in the UK.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-home-12556618

They want to achieve this by 31 March, which jives with the idea that they are cutting capacity by some 50% in April. They want to ship as many Singaporeans home as possible before they cut the number of flights.

What I'd be interested to see is how full these returning flights will be... surely a 12/3 hour flight would be an ideal place to spread the virus?
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:41 am

Programs: Alaska
All need be isolated after the flight.

Singapore government checks regularly through voice calls and video calls.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:21 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
These flights are mainly for students. Given more and more schools are closing (and the associated residence halls), all the parents are complaining that their kids can't get any flight back. The government have to do something (angry parents are no jokes!). They have the same thing in HK with CX, hence the sudden increase of flights from NY and London back to HK.

Last edited by williamluk; Mar 20, 20 at 10:56 am
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post

They want to achieve this by 31 March, which jives with the idea that they are cutting capacity by some 50% in April.

Try an 82% cut in capacity (2x A380 + 2 x 77W) > 1 x 77W
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Try an 82% cut in capacity (2x A380 + 2 x 77W) > 1 x 77W
woah ... that's an even bigger reduction than I read, but I guess it's not surprising. I wonder if SQ will just stop flights like Qantas
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
woah ... that's an even bigger reduction than I read, but I guess it's not surprising. I wonder if SQ will just stop flights like Qantas
Likely after today's announcement banning transit passengers. Probably suspend all passenger flights from March 31.
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Zilchster View Post
Likely after today's announcement banning transit passengers. Probably suspend all passenger flights from March 31.
I think SQ can just maintain skeleton frequency such as 3-4 weekly flights to most Main destination. Same as what CX will be doing

SQ still have demand for cargo. So they can still operate quite a number of cargo only flight (which they have been doing currently)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: