Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Need to stay outside but collect luggage after transit hotel @ changi

Old Mar 20, 20, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Greetings everyone,
we are in a situation here and need your advise, help, knowledge.
we are in Australia trying to get back home to Canada. Flying VA connecting to SQ. Singapore just revised its covid-19 rules that all pax entering SIN must do a 14 day quarantine. The exception is transit pax that stay airside. We were booked at CP changi but it is landside.😕
we will now book ambassador transit hotel in order to stay outside for our a.m. flights on SQ and BR.
the problem is flights were booked on separate tickets. Upon check in at Virgin Australia here in Australia, they won't likely be able to check bags through to our final destination ORD.
how are we to pickup our luggage from lost and found while staying in transit area? This is our only hope getting back home!
i assume VA will not be able to give us our boarding passes for the next day flights nor check bags through?
as data here is our itinerary:
1 ticket: VA & SQ OOL/SYD SYD/SIN 25 march economy
2nd ticket: SQ & BR SIN/TPE TPE/ORD 26 march business
home if all goes well will be AC ORD/YUL 27 march
Help please! 🤗 thanks to all!
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Top of my mind solution ... i would try to get VA to the bags in all the way.

Failing that, can they just check it to Sydney? When you reach Sydney, check in again at the SQ counter and inform them of your next legs, they should be able to tag the bags all the way through.
voyageuse and sydunipete like this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 2:47 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
You should be able to get your bags tagged all the way to destination, barring that when you are in SYD, have SQ take note of your luggage and connecting flight SIN-TPE and arrange for baggage transfer. Given that it's the same airline it shouldn't be an issue. If you don't have time in SYD, then get it done in Singapore.

https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...e/transit.html

If you have your boarding pass, but your checked-in bags are only sent to Changi Airport: Please proceed to your nearest transfer lounge/counter. At the transfer lounge, you may refer to the Transfer Information Passenger Display System (TIPDS) to find out which transfer counter you can approach to request for your checked-in bags to be transferred to your departing flight.
voyageuse likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:55 am

depending how much you have and how important everything is... if you're really concerned about checking through... ship your bags back home separately... not cheap, but value depends on alternatives
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tango3 View Post
Top of my mind solution ... i would try to get VA to the bags in all the way.

Failing that, can they just check it to Sydney? When you reach Sydney, check in again at the SQ counter and inform them of your next legs, they should be able to tag the bags all the way through.
thank you for your reply, we have no time in SYD only 1:35 if running on schedule, but seeing VA on time stats they seem to be 30+ minutes late. 😕Then you have to factor in the bus from domestic to international terminals. Not a huge place but lots of time consumed in the commute.
northsideguy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by voyageuse View Post
Greetings everyone,
we are in a situation here and need your advise, help, knowledge.
we are in Australia trying to get back home to Canada. Flying VA connecting to SQ. Singapore just revised its covid-19 rules that all pax entering SIN must do a 14 day quarantine. The exception is transit pax that stay airside. We were booked at CP changi but it is landside.😕
we will now book ambassador transit hotel in order to stay outside for our a.m. flights on SQ and BR.
the problem is flights were booked on separate tickets. Upon check in at Virgin Australia here in Australia, they won't likely be able to check bags through to our final destination ORD.
how are we to pickup our luggage from lost and found while staying in transit area? This is our only hope getting back home!
i assume VA will not be able to give us our boarding passes for the next day flights nor check bags through?
as data here is our itinerary:
1 ticket: VA & SQ OOL/SYD SYD/SIN 25 march economy
2nd ticket: SQ & BR SIN/TPE TPE/ORD 26 march business
home if all goes well will be AC ORD/YUL 27 march
Help please! 🤗 thanks to all!
I think you are going to have a lot of problems if these are all a bunch of separate tickets. Is ticket 1 really one ticket? I think SIN airport can direct your bags to a different carrier but I'm not sure how to initiate that.
voyageuse likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fimo View Post
You should be able to get your bags tagged all the way to destination, barring that when you are in SYD, have SQ take note of your luggage and connecting flight SIN-TPE and arrange for baggage transfer. Given that it's the same airline it shouldn't be an issue. If you don't have time in SYD, then get it done in Singapore.
thank you fimo. I had seen that but am questioning whether or not VA will give me the boarding passes on that 2nd segment since on separate tickets and (at 1st check on desk it's with VA not SQ. What you mentioned makes sense to let someone at SQ know in SYD. Thank you.

Last edited by voyageuse; Mar 20, 20 at 6:29 am
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by giporlos View Post
depending how much you have and how important everything is... if you're really concerned about checking through... ship your bags back home separately... not cheap, but value depends on alternatives
giporlos thanks for your reply. I have no choice but to stay airside for this transit, otherwise I end up with a 14 day hotel isolation when I am only wanting to take our next a.m. flight. New rules for covid. So reclaiming checked luggage is a must but all the while we must stay airside. I am pretty much sure (well positively hoping) that changi being one of the smoothest well operated airports In the world that they have a functional way to do this easily.
Edited spelling
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

giporlos thanks for your reply. I have no choice but to stay Airdrie for this transit, otherwise I end up with a 14 day hotel isolation when I am only wanting to take our next a.m. flight. New rules for covid. So reclaiming checked luggage is a must but all the while we must stay airside. I am pretty much sure (well positively hoping) that changi being one of the smoothest well operated airports In the world that they have a functional way to do this easily.
Edited spelling
What he is suggesting is to ship your luggage home separately, using a service like Airporter.
voyageuse likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
What he is suggesting is to ship your luggage home separately, using a service like Airporter.
thank you Londonelite, will look into this if I am unable to check through or reclaim airside at transfer desk. I've contacted SATS at changi for confirmation. I am glad to know about this company, could come in handy some time. Thank you!
northsideguy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is OOL-SYD-SIN on one single ticket?
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:59 am

There should be no problem for changi. The problem is at Sydney as your connection time is very tight. Are u able to do a earlier VA flight ?

The check in counter close 40 mins before departure.

SQ will definitely check all the way to ORD from Sydney.
voyageuse likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I think you are going to have a lot of problems if these are all a bunch of separate tickets. Is ticket 1 really one ticket? I think SIN airport can direct your bags to a different carrier but I'm not sure how to initiate that.
ticket 1 is as mentioned boarding pass for ool syd with VA then boarding pass for syd sin with SQ.
ticket 2 same manner. Both tickets were purchased seperately at different times. We had to do some fixing our vacation because of covid situation. Thus the seperate tickets.. Thank you for your Input, much appreciated.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:03 am

ticket 1 is as mentioned boarding pass for ool syd with VA then boarding pass for syd sin with SQ.
ticket 2 same manner. Both tickets were purchased seperately at different times. We had to do some fixing our vacation because of covid situation. Thus the seperate tickets.. Thank you for your Input, much appreciated.
So you bought OOL-SYD-SIN in one ticket ? So VA should be able to check through to SIN.

Then at changi , you look for the transfer desk to help you with luggage n boarding pass.
voyageuse likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to repeat the point, I don't mean to stress you out, but was the ticket OOL-SYD-SIN purchased as a single ticket, with a single ticket number (not boarding pass). If not, you are going to have a real problem in SYD, not just with luggage, but also making your flight to SIN.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: