Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Not in any way defending the parents, perhaps they didn't have ear pieces that could plug into their devices.

50K miles is a good outcome for you, it's worth at least 2X the 400 SGD of vouchers that otherwise compel you to buy something that you don't need from Krisshop.
Yeah absolute no brainer on miles being the superior outcome. Was honestly scratching my head as to what I would buy if forced to use the vouchers.
Singapore_Air and EDIflyer like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
SQ should really offer the option of a certain miles amount OR KrisShop vouchers. They will set the ratio and then people can make their decision. Especially for passengers not based in SIN it is not very practical to have stuff shipped across the world, assuming one can even find something palatable from the shop. I would pretty much always opt for the miles personally, unless the value ratio was utter rubbish (like 100$ voucher or 1,000 miles). YMMV.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:46 am

Hi SQ board, I had 23.5k miles that were due to expire on 4/27/22, and was extended by 6 months to 10/27/22. On 7/25/22, I used it towards an award redemption due to depart on 4/25/23. However, I need to reschedule this trip to January 2024. Could you please recommend the best course of action for me?

Option 1. Pay the $75 redeposit fee in the next few days, get my miles back. At the end of this month, when my 23.5k miles were originally due to expire, I'd get an automatic extension on those miles to April 2023 (Is this still true? Will it be done automatically or do i need to call in?). I can rebook for April 2024 between January - April 2023.
Option 2. Use my free pre-7/31/22 change and change the ticket to 7/25/23. If this resets the validity of the ticket (I'm not sure if it does), I can then rebook from 7/25/23 to January 2024 and only pay the $25 change fee.

Appreciate your advice! Thank you!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:18 pm

since you issue the ticket on 7/25/22, the last travel date is 25/7/23. since you want to travel in January 2024, you have to cancel this ticket before 31/10/2022 before the miles expire, pay US$75 cancellation fee to refund the miles. The miles may not be refunded to your account before 31/10/2022 because it takes time to be refunded. if they are refunded in November 2022, the miles will be extended to May 2023. after the miles are extended, you can re-book January 2024 trip.

Last edited by vsepr; Oct 18, 2022 at 7:26 pm
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:14 am

I tried to cancel 2 award tickets with expiry miles on 30/9/22 and 31/10/22, travel dates in September 2023. The CSO tried to appeal for me to get the expired miles reinstated. After 2 weeks he call me and told me it was unsuccessful, meaning if I cancel the award tickets, the miles will be forfeited but I can get my taxes back after paying the cancellation fee. KrisFlyer will only reinstate the miles for 6 months for these 3 reasons:

1. self or family's medical reason, need to provide supporting documents and prove relationship
2. border closure by government
3. natural disaster or political crisis

So I decide to hold on to the tickets and wait till closure to travel dates to see if there is any of the 3 reasons.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by demue
Fair enough that you are unhappy as the advertising could be considered somewhat misleading. However, the fact remains that as per the detailed rules (T&Cs) the policy is the way that hclee01 described it and sadly the agent was correct in what he / she stated. Is it a nice rule? No, certainly not in my book and it has led to many bad surprises for folks like you that took the "big headline" from SIA at face value and didn't consider that there may be an "if" attached to it somewhere down in the T&Cs so to say.

I hope you get some goodwill extended, but the success rate for that reported by others has the "winners" against SQ in the minority, sadly. Good luck though.
I'm with you and all the power to you to get this pushed through, though you chose to take the headline message at face value without expecting that there may be an * (asterix) somewhere or some "but if" built in as part of the details. Did SQ do a good job stating that clearly, I don't think so and you got a valid point that the commonly linked extension policy wordings on the SIA website don't state this at all. Just that arguing this one with non-empowered CSRs could become a test of your patience. Good luck either way.
Originally Posted by hclee01
Technically, and unfortunately, once the miles are used, it will no longer be "protected" under the miles do not expire regime that SQ was offering. Hence, it will be on goodwill basis if they re-credit the "expired" miles back to your account. You may wish to consider doing a web-chat online with the Singapore agents to see if they are able to assist to escalate a review of your case and hopefully you can get your miles back. All the best!

I want to thank everyone in this thread particularly @demue and @hclee01 for inspiring me to set this injustice right.

As predicted, I got nowhere with the phone agents in my request to get my "expired" miles reinstated. They would just say "nothing I can do but someone will call you back" and then no one from Singapore Airlines would ever, ever call me.

I could have done the webchat next, but i thought of something more effective.

When I was a young corporate executive, I learned how effective it can be to resolve problems with large companies by writing a letter to the CEO. Or, in 2022, by emailing the CEO. Which is so much easer, because you don't need to find an envelope and a stamp.

I used to be dismissive of people who contact corporate CEOs over minor issues, thinking this is tacky, nutball behavior. But it really works.

High ranking corporate executives don't like being contacted directly with customer complaints. They read one of these emails and they forward it to one of their subordinate directors or managers and the say "handle this." And then that director or manager will consider it priority #1 to resolve the issue ASAP so the boss and other top executives don't get any more bothersome emails from this guest, which could then be blamed on that director or manager.

In my case, after waiting a month and hearing nothing from Singapore Airlines, I decided to email not the CEO, but someone who google told me is the Vice President of Krisflyer. Google also told me the email address format for the company.

So I sent this VP a polite email screenshotting the company's "No miles will expire in 2022" announcement and regaling him with a tragic and shocking tale of my 24,797 miles miles being deemed "expired" between the time I booked an award in May 2022 and canceled that award in July 2022, notwithstanding Singapore Airlines' "no miles will expire in 2022" promise (a promise a I quoted four times, in bold, in my otherwise brief missive).

Less than 36 hours later, at 2 a.m. here in Las Vegas, my phone rings. Caller ID says Singapore. Lady on phone says they have received my email and will be reinstating my miles.

Justice has been served and I am going back to bed.
EDIflyer, tbm13, Edvard and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jphripjah; Nov 21, 2022 at 9:16 am
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Nicely done and glad to hear that you persevered by reaching out to an SIA Exec (RP) though certainly this measure shouldn't be required and an escalation through customer service channels should suffice. Now I hope you find a good redemption for those reinstated miles.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Nicely done and glad to hear that you persevered by reaching out to an SIA Exec (RP) though certainly this measure shouldn't be required and an escalation through customer service channels should suffice. Now I hope you find a good redemption for those reinstated miles.

I agree. It shouldn't have been necessary but Singapore Airlines has handled this poorly by promising that miles won't expire and then expiring some miles anyway, and then giving their front line customer service staff little to no authority to set things right.

I thought the reimbursement would appear on my statement as a generic "courtesy" award of points like when someone complains about a a poor flight experience.

Instead it appeared as "reinstate expired miles" suggesting that maybe they have a recognized code for this and are reinstating expired miles behind the scenes but only if you manage to complain to the right person:

https://i.imgur.com/yt4Sro7.png

What's also interesting is that these miles, which originally had a June 2002 expiration date, and were deemed expired after I booked an award in May and then canceled it in July, are now showing an expiration date of December 2022:

https://i.imgur.com/QRYB3bV.png

I guess under Singapore's COVID "no expiration in 2022" policy, these miles will soon be extended six months until June 2023.

Last edited by jphripjah; Nov 24, 2022 at 8:49 am
Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I agree. It shouldn't have been necessary but Singapore Airlines has handled this poorly by promising that miles won't expire and then expiring some miles anyway, and then giving their front line customer service staff little to no authority to set things right.

I thought the reimbursement would appear on my statement as a generic "courtesy" award of points like when someone complains about a a poor flight experience.

Instead it appeared as "reinstate expired miles" suggesting that maybe they have a recognized code for this and are reinstating expired miles behind the scenes but only if you manage to complain to the right person:

https://i.imgur.com/yt4Sro7.png

What's also interesting is that these miles, which originally had a June 2002 expiration date, and were deemed expired after I booked an award in May and then canceled it in July, are now showing an expiration date of December 2022:

https://i.imgur.com/QRYB3bV.png

I guess under Singapore's COVID "no expiration in 2022" policy, these miles will soon be extended six months until June 2023.
yes, guess their system works in a way that they will automatically extend those expiring in Dec22 by another 6 months to jun23. So you will have another 7 more months to decide how to utilise them!
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:28 am

SQ have announced that they will extend miles expiring in Jan 23 to Jun 23 for another 6 months.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...7q4MZo2Hpcsoj0
seawolf, EDIflyer, FlyerEC and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
SQ have announced that they will extend miles expiring in Jan 23 to Jun 23 for another 6 months.

Thats incredible, I’m a bit shocked they’re extending again.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

what a pleasant surprise. I was expecting the worst. I assume automatic extension again.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
what a pleasant surprise. I was expecting the worst. I assume automatic extension again.
ya, as per their usual extensions i.e. after the month of expiry, it will then be credited back - reflected in the statement.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:40 pm

A nice move, though a little earlier announcement may have saved some folks some anxiety .
EDIflyer likes this.

Last edited by demue; Dec 13, 2022 at 7:27 am
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:48 pm

yea, there were already peopple griping how they were forced to use miles for less than ideal redemptions just cause they could not get award redemption for flights on the dates they wanted..

so even though it is pleasant news, there's still unhappy people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.