Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by redsunsdriver
That's only KF miles, no?
The first bullet regarding membership KF status is still to Feb 2021, and 5th bullet is to support renewal.
My status (not miles) was supposed to expire March 2020, but got extended to March 2021. I'm afraid I won't get a chance to fly at all come March 2021 and will probably lose my status.
Not too sure if this article will be useful in providing some insights:
https://mainlymiles.com/2021/01/02/s...a-second-year/
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:12 am

My Elite Gold status expires 28 February 2021. Can anyone confirm if this will be renewed under the first renewal scheme to February 2022 (and not March 2022), and then extended again for 12 months at that point under this extension scheme (expire February 2023)?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I received an email yesterday confirming that my status (valid till May 2021) will be extended another 12 months into 2022.

Given the lack of flying opportunities in the past year, Singapore Airlines will automatically extend your KrisFlyer Elite Gold status for another 12 months at the end of your membership year which is due between March 2021 and February 2022ą.

ą This complimentary extension will supersede the earlier renewal support scheme initiative for KrisFlyer Elite members. 50% of the required Elite miles for requalification will be no longer be credited to your KrisFlyer account.

In appreciation of your support, any Elite miles you have earned in the 12 months prior to your second year membership extension will be credited back to your account automatically after your membership extension to count towards your Elite Gold membership renewal due between March 2022 and February 2023.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by ttravelator
My Elite Gold status expires 28 February 2021. Can anyone confirm if this will be renewed under the first renewal scheme to February 2022 (and not March 2022), and then extended again for 12 months at that point under this extension scheme (expire February 2023)?
I'm in the same boat and based on what I can gather from a couple of articles online and the Krisflyer official website, the latest announcement appears to be on top of and in addition to the earlier extension. Would be good if that is the case but happy to be corrected. Thanks.

Krisflyer website - it does say additional.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
New extension of expiring KrisFlyer miles:

In view of restricted travel opportunities globally, we will be extending the validity period of all expiring KrisFlyer miles. This means that there will not be any expiry of KrisFlyer miles until April 2022.

The extension of your expiring miles will be carried out in 6-months block. For example, KrisFlyer miles expiring on 31 July 2021 will first be extended for 6 months to 31 January 2022, and at the end of January 2022, the expiring miles will be further extended for another 6 months to 31 July 2022. If you have miles expiring on 31 January 2022, the miles will be extended to expire on 31 July 2022.

The extended validity of your expiring KrisFlyer miles will be reflected in your KrisFlyer account at the end of each respective month. Please
Thank you!
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:13 am

Programs: SQ KF, Marriott Bonvoy, GA Miles, QR Privilege
Yeaaaaayyy!!!
My problem solved by this extension of expiring KF miles. So, I am able to reserve award seat for Dec-2022
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Nice move by SQ. Thank you.

Still think they should consider doing away with the fixed 36 months expiration rule and do some form of an activity based earn or burn every 12-18 months or so. Ohh and if people hold KF co-branded credit cards, please exclude miles from expiry as long as card is active .
snic, tbm13 and Sandeep1 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:09 am

Nice to see another extension but it's also a bit depressing as there are no signs this is going to get any better soon. Just extensions into perpetuity.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Nice to see another extension but it's also a bit depressing as there are no signs this is going to get any better soon. Just extensions into perpetuity.
Have hope! The vaccines are making a difference and where large fractions of people are vaccinated (e.g., the USA), travel is starting to rebound. The same thing will happen all over the world. My guess is that travel will be close to normal in 1 to 2 years, and SQ will stop these extensions within the year.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 1:24 pm

mine has 113k miles to be expy 6/30/21, but acct doesn't show any extension; did folks call to request one? Thx

nvm, got it... overlooked the link & didn't click on it

Last edited by danhouston; May 24, 2021 at 3:39 pm
Old May 24, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
At least SQ is extending status. My SQ *S is extended, and yet UA is making elites fly to requal for 2022/2023.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:30 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Originally Posted by danhouston
mine has 113k miles to be expy 6/30/21, but acct doesn't show any extension; did folks call to request one? Thx

nvm, got it... overlooked the link & didn't click on it
I have 49K miles which are to expire in June 2021. My account doesn’t show any extension availability and am wondering whether I should book something just to use those miles.

The miles were originally to expire September 2019. I had booked LAX-SIN for March 2020. The flight was cancelled and the miles were redeposited with an expiration date of 6/30/21.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:59 pm

Do we think there will be more extensions coming next year?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Do we think there will be more extensions coming next year?
Yes, Covid is still here, business travel will continue to be down, testing, restrictions, etc, etc. If they don't, it is a poor business decision that will have members pretty upset.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:03 am

No, I don't think there will be any extensions after April 2022 because of the VTLs. Many VTLs destinations now and we are supposed to live with COVID-19. Just like we cannot lockdown forever, miles cannot extend for free forever. The reason for the last miles extension in March 2021 was "restricted travel opportunities globally" and many borders closed, but now the situation has changed. There are many travel opportunities and many borders are opened, although not all. Hence there are many opportunities to use miles for flights unless you choose not to be vaccinated. We need a new and stronger virus in 2022 that the current vaccines cannot protect and spread again which prevents travel for the miles to be extended for free in 2022.

Can I get your views please?

Last edited by vsepr; Oct 19, 2021 at 12:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.