Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS, Malaysia Airlines Enrich Platinum
Originally Posted by PositiveRater
Booked to fly from US to UK next weekend... obv now subject to travel ban.

Attempted to canx online, but SQ website continuing to state flights are non-refundable - swines. Guess I'll be doing a chargeback on the credit card if I don't get satisfaction.
Call them...they will sort it out for you with full refund or credit for future flight. I havea half dozed flights cancelled and they rebook, credited or refunded every single one. NO DRAMAS!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:36 pm

I’ve tried ringing and am never answered. How do you get through to request a refund?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by SG Pirate
Call them...they will sort it out for you with full refund or credit for future flight. I havea half dozed flights cancelled and they rebook, credited or refunded every single one. NO DRAMAS!
so we need to wait until they cancelled our ticket?

because my ticket still on may schedule so not yet cancelled but im pretty sure it will cancelled.

i hope they will refund it
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:50 am

Hi everyone - want to flag that although Singapore AIrlines has announced most of its flights cancelled in April, they haven't updated the systems yet. For example, my flight from SIN to HAN on 13th April is still showing as Confirmed.
Tried to call to get a full cancellation and redeposit of miles, taxes (and no cancellation fee) but was flat out refused as their system is still showing it is flying.

Despite me pointing the agent to this page: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=k88gnin9
That details exactly what flights are flying (mine isn't on the list) and that all other flights in April are cancelled.
The agent even had the cheek to tell me that this page had incorrect information! That my flight had not been cancelled at all! Most likely she has been told only to follow what is in the system that she sees, and not use her own judgement or critical thinking.

Anyways, hope this helps for those also in the same boat! I think what is likely is that SQ have made the announcement, but haven't cancelled the flights in the system yet. So waiting for that cancellation email to come through now.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by boonkoh
Hi everyone - want to flag that although Singapore AIrlines has announced most of its flights cancelled in April, they haven't updated the systems yet. For example, my flight from SIN to HAN on 13th April is still showing as Confirmed.

I think what is likely is that SQ have made the announcement, but haven't cancelled the flights in the system yet. So waiting for that cancellation email to come through now.
Yes it’s an overall very disjointed experience. When my spouse’s JFK-FRA-SIN flight was cancelled recently, and SQ had already put on alternative EWR-SIN flight, the former flights continued to show as confirmed in the reservation throughout. Indeed your best bet is to refrain from calling them for refund until you receive the cancellation email.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by Firemansam
We pushed for a refund however SQ has claimed force majeure that flights had to be cancelled due to pandemic/govt restrictions out of their control so we took the credit.
Erm, isn't it people that are restricted, not flights? Nothing stopping them flying with lower profit margins.
billgris likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by boonkoh
Tried to call to get a full cancellation and redeposit of miles, taxes (and no cancellation fee) but was flat out refused as their system is still showing it is flying.

Despite me pointing the agent to this page: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=k88gnin9
That details exactly what flights are flying (mine isn't on the list) and that all other flights in April are cancelled.
The agent even had the cheek to tell me that this page had incorrect information! That my flight had not been cancelled at all! Most likely she has been told only to follow what is in the system that she sees, and not use her own judgement or critical thinking.

Anyways, hope this helps for those also in the same boat! I think what is likely is that SQ have made the announcement, but haven't cancelled the flights in the system yet. So waiting for that cancellation email to come through now.
Same here, the BKK-SIN part of our BKK-SIN-NRT has been cancelled based on SQs own advisory, but alas no one has gotten around to updating the flight schedule and several of the agents can be downright stubborn and confrontational when presented their own updates which even under such stressful times isn't acceptable. The lack of communication of such vital information within the organization is concerning to say the least. YMMV.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by demue
Same here, the BKK-SIN part of our BKK-SIN-NRT has been cancelled based on SQs own advisory, but alas no one has gotten around to updating the flight schedule and several of the agents can be downright stubborn and confrontational when presented their own updates which even under such stressful times isn't acceptable. The lack of communication of such vital information within the organization is concerning to say the least. YMMV.
... especially to frontline customer service staff. Appalling that this lack of information results in the customer having to contend with “downright stubborn and confrontational” agents.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just for arguments sake, if the April flight schedule posted on SQs website dated 31 Mar does have inaccuracies then the feedback from frontline agents as to the difference in operating flights they see in their systems vs. what customers are referencing during inquiries should have prompted a correction of the PDF then.

There should be only one of those two SQ sources that is right - PDF or agents. If flights get added or removed subsequently, SQ usually updated the document. This makes a stressful experience for both customer and SQ staff worse. YMMV.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I've used the form on the website and selected the 'other' option - this reveals a free text box in which I've requested a full refund of fare, taxers and charges to the credit crd used to pay for the flights. They promise a reply within 7 business days......
No reply received from SQ so I telephoned their UK reservation line. No delay in getting through and a helpful agent who tried a couple of times to suggest I take a credit for future travel but her heart didn't seem to be in it! There was a 10 minute hold while the request was 'escalated to the refund department' and then I was given the refund reference. I was warned that it may be 4 weeks until the funds reach my credit card. Overall an easy experience
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:32 pm

4 weeks would be a much more reasonable timeline for a refund. Some posters reported being told 4 months which would be very lengthy. To be seen I guess. May differ case by case.

Last edited by demue; Apr 5, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:43 am

Does anyone know whether the SQ flight from Singapore to Incheon is still operating, or any to Haneda, Tokyo? I am trying to explore getting to Incheon or Haneda, as I still have a connecting flight end of April from Haneda to the U.S, but as far as I can tell and I've been told these flights are cancelled for April.

For Incheon, it's just I notice that the Delta web site is offering tickets from SIN - Incheon - Seattle.. and the SIN - Incheon segment is operated by Singapore Airlines. So because they have the ticket available for purchase, it's making me confused whether the flight is really operating or not. Such a confusing time. Thanks for any information...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Had HND-SIN and back booked for May 1-9. Obviously couldn't travel due to entry restrictions and call last week but was told no refund because flight was still operating.

HND-SIN flight officially cancelled this morning and called in again. They tried to put me on another flight but I said. They then asked what I would like to do and I said refund. She checked with manager and refund approved. Said it would take 4 months to show up on my credit card. I am content at this point.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:29 pm

Tyler, Can you tell me if your flights were refundable? Our flights are non-refundable and I tried ringing and asking for manager as people here advised. They wouldn't budge on their policy which is to give credit rather than a refund on non-refundable fares.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I have query on the cancellation process. My flights have been re-arranged by SQ from 31st March to 2nd of May (the first instance of restored flights for AKL-LHR is 1st May) and my query is - Will SQ automatically cancel both sectors (AKL-SIN and SIN-LHR) if Singapore is not open to transit passengers as obviously the trip will be impossible if still closed to transit?

Is SQ being optimistic in listing the AKL-LHR flights for May or were they expecting the ban to be lifted by then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.