Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ online checkin "Passport place of issue*"

Old Feb 24, 20, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, QR*G

Never seen this before, they ask for nationality, then passport number and finally "Passport place of issue*" where you can select between a list of countries.
I assume they mean the country that issued the passport, and not the country where it was issued? Mine was issued by the consulate in Shanghai, so I should select China here? That seems strange.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I'd be careful about that. I would argue that it was issued by Singapore and in Singapore at the request of the consular authority in Shanghai (I don't know that the consulate in Shanghai actually has the resources to produce and issue a passport). It is a poor selection of wording.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:52 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I would put in the same as your nationality, to not cause the system any confusion and you any trouble for such a (unnecessary) question. If they have trouble with the answer, it will be discovered at the airport and sorted out there. Putting conflicting info is only likely to raise flags (and probably deny you online checkin) with an automated system.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Feb 24, 20, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Wonder why they ask for place of issue. Doesn't this go into some iata database or similar, or did they just make this up?
Old Feb 24, 20, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nick5000 View Post
Wonder why they ask for place of issue. Doesn't this go into some iata database or similar, or did they just make this up?
US ESTAs also ask for nationality and issuing country. It is odd.
Old Feb 24, 20, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
US ESTAs also ask for nationality and issuing country. It is odd.
Issuing country is clear, but place of issue is not clear, as the passports has a field for authority which includes the place where the passport is issued (not necessarily in issuing country).
Old Feb 24, 20, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Issuing country is clear, but place of issue is not clear, as the passports has a field for authority which includes the place where the passport is issued (not necessarily in issuing country).
I know, but I believe the same thing is meant.
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:52 pm

For the vast majority of people nationality should be the same as issuing country. This applies even if your passport was issued at a consulate - the issuing country is still the country on the cover of the passport, not the country in which the consulate was situated.

The need for two fields arise because some countries issue passports to non-citizens. For example those on a British National (Overseas) passport would list GBR as the issuing country but list nationality as BNO (not GBR).
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
For example those on a British National (Overseas) passport would list GBR as the issuing country but list nationality as BNO (not GBR).
The nationality code in this case is GBN.

This can happen the same way as HKSAR and Macau SAR Passports.
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
For the vast majority of people nationality should be the same as issuing country. This applies even if your passport was issued at a consulate - the issuing country is still the country on the cover of the passport, not the country in which the consulate was situated.

The need for two fields arise because some countries issue passports to non-citizens. For example those on a British National (Overseas) passport would list GBR as the issuing country but list nationality as BNO (not GBR).
Yes this is clear, so why do they write "Place of issue" when they mean issuing country?
Edvard likes this.
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:59 pm

Programs: MH, AC, AS
Yes this is clear, so why do they write "Place of issue" when they mean issuing country?
Itís probably a poor choice of wording, as mentioned above. I canít think of a reason why the place where passport was physically issued should matter.
Old Feb 24, 20, 3:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
In the Singapore government travel restrictions there is specific reference to Chinese passports issued in the province of Hubei. This is probably linked to that.

FWIW, Australia used to identify place of issue on passport (eg Melbourne, Sydney etc) but that ceased a while ago. Now, whenever that question is asked on an immigration form (yes there are some that ask it), I just put Australia, before I used to write the place identified in the passport. Just because it is not used in some countries, doesnít mean it isnít in others.
Old Feb 24, 20, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
In the Singapore government travel restrictions there is specific reference to Chinese passports issued in the province of Hubei. This is probably linked to that.

FWIW, Australia used to identify place of issue on passport (eg Melbourne, Sydney etc) but that ceased a while ago. Now, whenever that question is asked on an immigration form (yes there are some that ask it), I just put Australia, before I used to write the place identified in the passport. Just because it is not used in some countries, doesnít mean it isnít in others.
​​​​​​
When immigration forms ask place of issue then I write Norwegian consulate Shanghai. But in the SQ online check in you can't write a name, just select the country. So I almost selected China before I got second thoughts.

Yeah, probably its been quickly added recently to filter out Hubei passports.
​​​​​
Old Feb 24, 20, 4:21 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
​​​​​​
When immigration forms ask place of issue then I write Norwegian consulate Shanghai.
​​​​​
Need to be careful with this. Many consulates, which providing passport services, still have the passport issued and shipped from the home country. The consulate is simply a 'shopfront'.
Old Feb 24, 20, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I would take it literally as where the passport was issued. I have had my Canadian passports issued in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and Bonn ( emergency replacement).
Same as Chinese immigration forms always ask where the visa was issued - I always fill it the appropriate city of the issuing consulate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: