Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Spring 2020 - SQ and MI service reductions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring 2020 - SQ and MI service reductions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
SQ just rebooked us to 23 April SQ 451 MLE-SIN -- was originally booked for 22 April.

Our problem: we will be on a points stay at the Waldorf Astoria ending on the 22nd, and paying out of pocket for another night (currently USD $2,400 ex taxes/fees) is obviously not an option. SQ now have us stranded in one of the most expensive places on earth without accommodation on the last night.

What are our options? The way I see it:

- Rebooked on another airline on the 22nd?
* will be a downgrade in terms of the itinerary as no other airline (except Silk Air) flies direct to SIN from MLE
* will be a downgrade in terms of the experience (we're in J on the B787-10), unless maybe they rebook us on QR with QSuites which would add a lot of time to the itinerary anyway

- Rebooked onto one of Silk Air's flights on the 22nd?
* obviously huge downgrade in terms of experience.
* Flight also departs in the morning (vs just before midnight) which means we lose a full day at the Waldorf Astoria.
Not sure if you've made a decision on this yet, but just be aware that SQ has been canceling the Silk Air SIN-MLE-SIN flights fairly aggressively for travel ~ 1-2 weeks from now and further out. The later of the 2 daily SIlkAir flights is already gone, and the other one is 0'd out in all classes now even though 50-60 seats are open, which has been a sign that they will soon be canceled as well. That leaves only the SQ metal SIN-MLE-SIN late evening flight as operating, and that was recently upgauged to a 787-9, which given current loads can easily swallow up all of the passengers on both SilkAir flights with capacity to spare. It would not surprise me at all to see the SQ 789 be the only flight remaining to the Maldives in the next few days.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Not sure if you've made a decision on this yet, but just be aware that SQ has been canceling the Silk Air SIN-MLE-SIN flights fairly aggressively for travel ~ 1-2 weeks from now and further out. The later of the 2 daily SIlkAir flights is already gone, and the other one is 0'd out in all classes now even though 50-60 seats are open, which has been a sign that they will soon be canceled as well. That leaves only the SQ metal SIN-MLE-SIN late evening flight as operating, and that was recently upgauged to a 787-9, which given current loads can easily swallow up all of the passengers on both SilkAir flights with capacity to spare. It would not surprise me at all to see the SQ 789 be the only flight remaining to the Maldives in the next few days.
Thank for letting me know.

As of now, SQ have rebooked me onto the same flights (Silk Air on the outbound, SQ on the inbound) but one day earlier in each direction. Will see if they end up moving me to the SQ flight on the outbound as well.

As far as I can tell MI482 has operated daily as scheduled for the past week.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire, CX Diamond, BA Executive Club Lifetime Gold, World of Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by anaidross
Are SQ flights that empty these days? (please see pics)

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...virus-12455566

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to fly these days. But I am curious nevertheless.
On a recent flight from Singapore to Delhi on SQ A380, there were only 9 of us in business class. Not sure why SQ didn’t downgauge the aircraft to either A350 or the B787 in view of the load factor and spare aircraft sitting around at Changi.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by DestinAsian
On a recent flight from Singapore to Delhi on SQ A380, there were only 9 of us in business class. Not sure why SQ didn’t downgauge the aircraft to either A350 or the B787 in view of the load factor and spare aircraft sitting around at Changi.
How full was economy? There is a (remote) possibility that the DEL-SIN flight was much fuller, so needed the capacity on return, but I'm betting that it wouldn't be. Corporate travel is all but stopped for most companies, so I expect most flights are running at about 20-30% load factors.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire, CX Diamond, BA Executive Club Lifetime Gold, World of Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by lokijuh
How full was economy? There is a (remote) possibility that the DEL-SIN flight was much fuller, so needed the capacity on return, but I'm betting that it wouldn't be. Corporate travel is all but stopped for most companies, so I expect most flights are running at about 20-30% load factors.
As I was in Business Class, I was told that the loads in economy and premium economy were very light and the return sector was expected to be the same. One reason why SQ might be flying their A380 might be linked to their power by the hour contracts they have in place with OEMs. However, having said that, extreme times such as what we live in calls for extreme measures.

In my opinion, SQ can do more with its capacity management and cost containment in view of falling demand. Adhoc cancellations are confusing and does not do justice for passengers making bookings, causing inconvenience especially for those who are travelling for business.

So far, Cathay Pacific and Qantas Airways in the Asia Pacific that have taken prudent steps with its network changes and capacity discipline.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by DestinAsian
As I was in Business Class, I was told that the loads in economy and premium economy were very light and the return sector was expected to be the same. One reason why SQ might be flying their A380 might be linked to their power by the hour contracts they have in place with OEMs. However, having said that, extreme times such as what we live in calls for extreme measures.

In my opinion, SQ can do more with its capacity management and cost containment in view of falling demand. Adhoc cancellations are confusing and does not do justice for passengers making bookings, causing inconvenience especially for those who are travelling for business.

So far, Cathay Pacific and Qantas Airways in the Asia Pacific that have taken prudent steps with its network changes and capacity discipline.
CX taking prudent steps with network changes ? They did not even bother to issue any press release on what flights are cancelled. Just random cancellation here n there. For some route, just total suspension n no alternative provided. And till now , have not announced any cancellation for April.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:28 am

Delete
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:08 pm
Suspended

To be clear, SQ has been practicing adhoc cancellations to adjust their network as and when changes to demand impacting their flights. However, what I am saying is that they could be more prudent with how some of their changes are implemented as here and there cancellations can be very confusing for the travellers.

Flying an A380 with very light loads on both directions can be minimised just like what Qantas has implemented with their network review. As fuel continues to drop and with global recession setting in with recovery that may take longer than what some are suggesting, the oil prices are probably going to stay low for some time impacting SQ's hedging losses that are planned up until 2025 at significant volumes.

Last edited by DestinAsian; Mar 11, 2020 at 7:15 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Guess SQ25/26 will not operate to JFK?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/coro...om-europe.html
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:34 pm

Yes I wondered if SQ 25/26 will be cancelled altogether or be rerouted via LHR, or somewhere like NRT now that flights from Europe to US, except UK, will be banned? I suspect the former and economy pax in for a bump up to Y+ on 21/22.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
CX taking prudent steps with network changes ? They did not even bother to issue any press release on what flights are cancelled. Just random cancellation here n there. For some route, just total suspension n no alternative provided. And till now , have not announced any cancellation for April.
Yes, at their own interest.

to me, SQ staff's mentality is very much like civil servant.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:11 am

SQ will be cancelling more flights to Australia n New Zealand

carins/Darwin / Christchurch/Wellington / Adelaide services will be cancelled. Adelaide will be one weekly service in may.

brisbane/Perth will see more reduction

Melbourne n Sydney will retain most services for the time being.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:51 am

Seem like CPH SQ352/351 will be operated until this weekend.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I see that there will be further service suspensions announced today 18th March Singapore time. I just looked but there's nothing up there yet.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
SQ will be cancelling more flights to Australia n New Zealand

carins/Darwin / Christchurch/Wellington / Adelaide services will be cancelled. Adelaide will be one weekly service in may.

brisbane/Perth will see more reduction

Melbourne n Sydney will retain most services for the time being.
based on latest update. Brisbane flight are all cancelled
syd/Mel/Perth only 1 flight per day.
London also 1 flight per day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.