Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Spring 2020 - SQ and MI service reductions

Spring 2020 - SQ and MI service reductions

Old Feb 21, 20, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
What's surprising me is that there aren't big sale prices. There is a philosophy of not "cheapening" the product by offering deep discount fares. BUT I think in a case this severe some of these airlines that aren't cancelling as much as others might be wise to try and draw in some customers. Personally I'm not super worried about travel right now, I'm choosing to avoid China itself, but I'm headed to Thailand for a few days at the end of next month and I'm not really worried about it. I mean, maybe that makes me nuts, but oh well. The point is, these flights can't be flown with 3-4 flight attendants just because the passenger numbers are low. So it's not like they can save a bunch of money there. I'm sure there's breakeven points that they don't wanna cross, but I think they should probably either cross or get close to them at least.

A for instance, I'm not someone who can afford to pay for business/first more than once in a year maybe or even less. But I love flying those products when I use my miles, because otherwise I don't get to. I have no issue flying economy either, but maybe CX/SQ should think about breaking their normal high price = high quality model and try something else to draw people in. If CX had a really great business class fare, as long as it wasn't to China I'd be happy to buy it, try out their product and maybe they could convert me to a CX fan. When things improve and their prices go back to normal, maybe next time I'm looking at paying for J, or even Y I go "hey that CX flight I had was pretty great, I'll look there again". It seems like they'd rather fly empty than even try though.
i did see some sales price. To Bali n BKK. The rest I did not check though.
Bali is going for $198 round trip for March. This price is never before price. Same price as air Asia (with luggage) Previously alway are $400 minimum

for BKK is going also for around $200 round trip for March. For few dates I was checking in Jan SQ is selling around $360 to $420 round trip. Now it is $200 round trip for the same flights.

I think there are some other destination with sales price as well
Old Feb 21, 20, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by definitelynotafrequentflyer View Post
Sir, although you might be getting a rude agent, but you seriously need to calm down. Mind if I ask whether this revenue or award ticket?
It is a paid ticket from CPH via ZRH to SIN.

Last edited by bitnapper; Feb 21, 20 at 10:04 pm
Old Feb 23, 20, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitnapper View Post
It is a paid ticket from CPH via ZRH to SIN.
if its paid first class ticket, cant you refund or downgrade to business class instead (if you feel first class seat is significantly different from suites)?
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:35 am

SQ have cut/suspend/cancel more flights in March/April/May resulting in 7.1% reduction in capacity.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...ossNetwork.pdf
Old Feb 24, 20, 4:05 pm

Our SQ183 flight has been cancelled for 26/4.
hoping we get rebooked onto the morning flight. It
pushes our transit from around 4hrs out to 8 but better than other options.
Old Feb 24, 20, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bitnapper View Post
My flight from ZRH to SIN in New Suites for may 2020 has been changed to 77W with old FIRST!
Which airline's stock is the ticket on...LH/LX sold a couple of these allowing people to book into new Suites on discount LH/LX A-fares
Old Feb 24, 20, 10:39 pm

Programs: QR Gold (OWS), Hilton Diamond, GHA Discovery Black, Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade
I had made a Business Saver redemption booking for 2 pax on SQ 481 (JNB-SIN) on May 8th, which has now been cancelled. I called it late last night and didn’t have to wait long to be connected to a CSO. They have put us on the May 9th flight (SQ479). The flight showed both Saver and Advantage being on waitlist, but they opened up Saver level for us, which was nice of them. This obviously means an extra night for us in JNB and I’m clarifying with them about covering accommodation costs on May 8th night. In such a situation is SQ obligated to pay for accommodation costs or not?
Old Feb 25, 20, 7:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k View Post
I had made a Business Saver redemption booking for 2 pax on SQ 481 (JNB-SIN) on May 8th, which has now been cancelled. I called it late last night and didnt have to wait long to be connected to a CSO. They have put us on the May 9th flight (SQ479). The flight showed both Saver and Advantage being on waitlist, but they opened up Saver level for us, which was nice of them. This obviously means an extra night for us in JNB and Im clarifying with them about covering accommodation costs on May 8th night. In such a situation is SQ obligated to pay for accommodation costs or not?
No since JNB is an origin/ destination, but who knows they may give in as a one time goodwill gesture. If you have travel insurance it shouldn't be difficult to claim from the insurer.
Old Feb 25, 20, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
In such a situation is SQ obligated to pay for accommodation costs or not?
I would say not obligated, particularly as the flight was cancelled / rescheduled ~3 months in advance. I doubt that SQ would even reimburse out of goodwill either (unless you're PPS or something).
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:21 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
SQ just rebooked us to 23 April SQ 451 MLE-SIN -- was originally booked for 22 April.

Our problem: we will be on a points stay at the Waldorf Astoria ending on the 22nd, and paying out of pocket for another night (currently USD $2,400 ex taxes/fees) is obviously not an option. SQ now have us stranded in one of the most expensive places on earth without accommodation on the last night.

What are our options? The way I see it:

- Rebooked on another airline on the 22nd?
* will be a downgrade in terms of the itinerary as no other airline (except Silk Air) flies direct to SIN from MLE
* will be a downgrade in terms of the experience (we're in J on the B787-10), unless maybe they rebook us on QR with QSuites which would add a lot of time to the itinerary anyway

- Rebooked onto one of Silk Air's flights on the 22nd?
* obviously huge downgrade in terms of experience.
* Flight also departs in the morning (vs just before midnight) which means we lose a full day at the Waldorf Astoria.

- SQ to organize accommodation for the last night? What is reasonable to ask for?
* Not really keen to be holed up in some average 3-star property in Male for 24 hours.
* Leaving one day later than our original flight also means we miss a full day of work -- would any SQ cover the loss of income?

I'm leaning towards the last option being the one I would prefer, but I obviously don't want to have to pay out of pocket for a hotel in a place like the Maldives which is incredibly expensive.

EDIT: By the way, what happens if I click "Decline" on the rebooking blurb on the SQ website when I try to access my booking?
EDIT2: I've paid flights and accommodation with different credit cards so I don't think the bundled travel insurance (wouldn't be very comprehensive anyway being HK issued cards) would be eligible.

Last edited by Kilian Zoll; Feb 26, 20 at 2:51 am
Old Feb 26, 20, 2:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll View Post
- SQ to organize accommodation for the last night? What is reasonable to ask for?
* Not really keen to be holed up in some average 3-star property in Male for 24 hours.
* Leaving one day later than our original flight also means we miss a full day of work -- would any party (SQ? Travel insurance?) cover the loss of income?

I'm leaning towards the last option being the one I would prefer, but I obviously don't want to have to pay out of pocket for a hotel in a place like the Maldives which is incredibly expensive.
I'm not sure if they'd go for it, but you could always ask if they could ticket you onto UL to CMB (which is 1:25 in air) and then move you to CMB to SIN service. MU also operates the route, but it's not coming up in expertflyer so I assume doesn't meet the minimum connection time. If loss of income is important, might even be worth considering paying your own way to CMB, as neither SQ nor travel insurance will cover you for loss of income (unless you have some super special travel insurance!).

I'd be reluctant to leave my hotel choice to SQ, in this situation I'd try and negotiate with Waldorf to delay the booking by 1 day (not sure how flexible they would be though, but if SQ are cancelling flights, then there's a good chance demand is lower, or will be very soon if this thing keeps progressing) and go for a lower grade property on arrival if you don't want to pay an extra night at the Waldorf (as it's always easier to go from a lower to higher property than the other way around ),
Old Feb 26, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: QR Gold (OWS), Hilton Diamond, GHA Discovery Black, Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade
I had made a Business Saver redemption booking for 2 pax on SQ 481 (JNB-SIN) on May 8th, which has now been cancelled. I called it late last night and didnt have to wait long to be connected to a CSO. They have put us on the May 9th flight (SQ479). The flight showed both Saver and Advantage being on waitlist, but they opened up Saver level for us, which was nice of them. This obviously means an extra night for us in JNB and Im clarifying with them about covering accommodation costs on May 8th night. In such a situation is SQ obligated to pay for accommodation costs or not?
Update: Called up SQ last evening and they were helpful. I have SIN-CPT on Apr 22nd and have been waitlisted for a long time for the flight on the 23rd. Upon calling and informing them of the May 8th cancellation (JNB-SIN) and subsequent rebooking on May 9th, I requested that to avoid me adding a day to my total trip if they could clear my waitlist for Apr 23rd. After being on hold for a while the CSO came back and confirmed that he managed to clear my waitlist. I wasn't charged a change fee either. As they managed to put me on my preferred flight on Apr 23rd and also waived the change fee for both pax. I decided not to ask them about covering accommodation costs too.
Old Feb 26, 20, 11:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll View Post
* Leaving one day later than our original flight also means we miss a full day of work -- would any SQ cover the loss of income?
You can ask for anything, but SQ (or any other carrier, really) isn't obliged to do anything as they've given you more than the required 14-day advance notice.

At best you might get SQ to cover your last night's accommodation, but it will most certainly be at a hotel of their choosing, and definitely not the Waldorf.

Loss of income -- 0% chance.
Old Feb 27, 20, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by definitelynotafrequentflyer View Post
Sir, although you might be getting a rude agent, but you seriously need to calm down. Mind if I ask whether this revenue or award ticket?
I think he's totally justified. Have you looked at what one of those suites cost? They should be bending over backwards to accommodate him. Honestly, Delta has been on top of communication no problem, but I can't even get replies from SQ.
Old Feb 27, 20, 6:55 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts View Post
I think he's totally justified. Have you looked at what one of those suites cost?
About the same as F seats on 77W believe it or not (which is what the OP will be travelling on now).

I looked at several SIN-LHR dates at random (return) and whilst two of the flights were about $700 more than the other two flights, it correlated to time of day rather than 380 or 77W. So the two day flights (one in suites one in 77W F seats) cost the same and the two overnights (one in suites one in 77W) cost the same (more expensive than day flights). So whilst it seems travellers prefer the Suites to travel on, there doesn't seem to be a huge premium SQ are able to extract for this.

Search this Thread