Likelihood of SIN waiver?

Old Feb 7, 20, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Likelihood of SIN waiver?

With the DORSCON level now at orange - what's the likelihood SQ will issue a waiver for travel to/from SIN? So far there are no waivers in place and many people on social media are asking and SQ is just shrugging it off telling them to check the website.
Old Feb 8, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Wavier is already in place for flights to/from China, Hong Kong, and Macau. Other places are still considered as "normal". Suggested you to wait for a bit. I am sure SQ will start giving wavier if things get worst.
Old Feb 8, 20, 3:57 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I've asked this question too but with zero response. We are due to fly AKL-SIN-ZRH-ARL at the end of March with a week in SIN but with the number of cases growing daily we are now really worried about routing through SIN and staying over as there's no telling how the number of cases is going to expand. I know it's still 6 weeks away but plans need to be made, I don't want to get to one week away and be told that routing through SIN is no longer possible due to the threat level. Also, if the threat level increases then the final destination countries may well institute measures to restrict arrivals from SIN.
Old Feb 8, 20, 11:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Lussac View Post
I've asked this question too but with zero response. We are due to fly AKL-SIN-ZRH-ARL at the end of March with a week in SIN but with the number of cases growing daily we are now really worried about routing through SIN and staying over as there's no telling how the number of cases is going to expand. I know it's still 6 weeks away but plans need to be made, I don't want to get to one week away and be told that routing through SIN is no longer possible due to the threat level. Also, if the threat level increases then the final destination countries may well institute measures to restrict arrivals from SIN.
Given most cases in Singapore are from known clusters, I suspect things will become clearer in about a week or two, as to whether the spread has been properly contained or not.
If DORSCON gets upgraded further, I'm fairly certain SQ will start offering flexibility for SIN stopovers etc. If the destination country starts implementing restrictions, you should be able to negotiate with SQ even if SQ hasn't introduced a widespread flexibility policy, and/or be covered by your travel insurance to make changes.
Old Feb 9, 20, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
If the destination country starts implementing restrictions, you should be able to negotiate with SQ even if SQ hasn't introduced a widespread flexibility policy, and/or be covered by your travel insurance to make changes.
I'm not so sure SQ will negotiate, but you never know given the daily changing nature of this issue. Also, regarding coverage by travel insurance, provided you took out travel insurance BEFORE the new year you should be ok, afaik almost all insurers have carved out exclusions for Corona now so if you haven't taken out trip insurance already then its kind of moot.

Also, although DORSCON has gone up a level I would not be too paranoid about it w.r.t to Singapore, of all the asian ports I'd wager that Singapore is actually the most agile/nimble of them to react and manage this in a meaningful way. I'm personally scheduled to fly through Changi in April, May, and July, and I'm sticking to my current bookings as is.
Old Feb 9, 20, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by cuzzybro View Post
Also, although DORSCON has gone up a level I would not be too paranoid about it w.r.t to Singapore, of all the asian ports I'd wager that Singapore is actually the most agile/nimble of them to react and manage this in a meaningful way. I'm personally scheduled to fly through Changi in April, May, and July, and I'm sticking to my current bookings as is.
I agree, I have chosen to go via Singapore above other options because they seem to have the best grasp over the situation.
Old Feb 10, 20, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I sure hope there is going to be a waiver or at least flexible re-booking policies soon. SIN is taking the #1 spot after China and there are no longer just cases that can be connected to some of the early patients. Slated to fly this Thursday for an arrival Saturday and I am 100% certain I can't get my wife on a flight to SIN right now ... not that I'd want to go myself in this situation either.
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
SIN is taking the #1 spot after China and there are no longer just cases that can be connected to some of the early patients.
I am not surprised Singapore is taking that #1 spot. Citizens have a high propensity to visit a doctor with symptoms of any sort of illness, the testing process is well established, the medical community is fully engaged and the government are being proactive. (and I am a foreigner, so trying to look at it impartially). I am not sure if surrounding countries have their processes to detect patients who may have contracted the virus working as well.

Definitely an entirely personal decision around travel plans, and can understand SQ's reluctance to issue travel waivers in the absence of "Do not travel" advice from other governments.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
Originally Posted by cuzzybro View Post
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I agree, I have chosen to go via Singapore above other options because they seem to have the best grasp over the situation.
Not too sure about that. Singapore was ranked #23 with a score of 58.7 in the world according by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) to handle a pandemic (Thailand is ranked #6 with a score of 73.2 and Malaysia is ranked #18 with a score of 62.2). Singapore's Global Health Security profile.

Old Feb 10, 20, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by nov11 View Post
Not too sure about that. Singapore was ranked #23 with a score of 58.7 in the world according by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) to handle a pandemic (Thailand is ranked #6 with a score of 73.2 and Malaysia is ranked #18 with a score of 62.2). Singapore's Global Health Security profile.
My decision was based on specific measures and responses to the current situation, as well as general assessments like the one you have mentioned, plus SQ-specific matters - like the distance between seats in Suite/F/J.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post
With the DORSCON level now at orange - what's the likelihood SQ will issue a waiver for travel to/from SIN? So far there are no waivers in place and many people on social media are asking and SQ is just shrugging it off telling them to check the website.
I am in a similar situation. I have flights booked on Singapore Air in about 4 weeks.

My schedule is

- San Francisco - Hong Kong
- Spend 10 days in Hong Kong
- Then travel Hong Kong to Singapore & spend 5 days in Sing.

Given the current situation, I would like to cancel the whole trip.

Are SQ likely to refund without penalty ?
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:27 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Also in the same situation flying to North America via Singapore with family in about 6 weeks and would prefer to cancel. Waiting to hear about any kind of waiver. Understandably can't get family to fly through South East Asia at this juncture.
Old Feb 11, 20, 2:27 am

There is a wavier in place to/from HK. You should be able to get a full refund.
Old Feb 11, 20, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by mymontreal View Post
I am in a similar situation. I have flights booked on Singapore Air in about 4 weeks.

My schedule is

- San Francisco - Hong Kong
- Spend 10 days in Hong Kong
- Then travel Hong Kong to Singapore & spend 5 days in Sing.

Given the current situation, I would like to cancel the whole trip.

Are SQ likely to refund without penalty ?
There is a wavier in place to/from HK. You should be able to get a full refund. I think the wavier covers flights till the end of March so 4 weeks out should not be a problem. But you better call SQ and find out.
Old Feb 11, 20, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
There are now travel warnings for Singapore from several countries and increasing ... hopefully SQ will come through with a broader re-booking and/or cancel policy soon

Search this Thread
Search Engine: