SQ/Krisflyer Coronavirus waivers

Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
You booked through a travel agent. Your agent is the contact to SQ. You are not exactly customer of SQ until the day of flight.
I understand that but Chase Travel is saying that they're not being cooperative with them, either.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:33 pm

I have a trip booked in April as following:

SFO->HKG on SQ award tickets
HKG->TPE on CX (connecting flight at HKG stopover is 3 hours)

From my understanding, since we are planning to transit in HKG, we are going to be subjected to the 14 days quarantine rule which basically will make our planned 7-days trip impractical now. Do you know if SQ may waive the mile redeposit fee in this case? I think CX is waiving the fees to Taiwan.

Originally Posted by jjjohn
have you traveled to China or HK in the past 14 days period to tpe? Or holding China or HK passport?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by llngoc

From my understanding, since we are planning to transit in HKG, we are going to be subjected to the 14 days quarantine rule which basically will make our planned 7-days trip impractical now. Do you know if SQ may waive the mile redeposit fee in this case? I think CX is waiving the fees to Taiwan.
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=is5rire4
If your ticket was issued on/prior to 8 Feb 2020 for travel before end March 2020, you will be able to get your miles redeposited with no charge.

Waiver Policy for Customers Travelling to and from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau

We will waive all cancellation and change fees for customers with tickets issued on or before 8 February 2020 for travel to and from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau from 24 January 2020 to 31 March 2020. The new travel date must commence on or before 31 August 2020.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by llngoc

You have two separate tickets. You have to look at rules separately.
For CX, I don;t think that waivers have been issued for travel in APril:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...om-taiwan.html

For SQ, wording could suggest that a SFO-HKG is covered by the waiver, eventhough you are not travelling to SIN. However, the current waiver sems to be until 31 March, so April is not yet covered.. SQ has cancelled its nonstop SFO-HKG till the end of March. It would be surprising if they fly it in April.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brunos
SQ has cancelled its nonstop SFO-HKG till the end of March. It would be surprising if they fly it in April.
I think odds are pretty much zero that SQ1 operates to HKG in April. Just a question of when this is announced.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think odds are pretty much zero that SQ1 operates to HKG in April. Just a question of when this is announced.
Indeed. I'm checking my early April itin daily hoping to secure decent seats as soon as the changes take effect.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:51 am

I have a flight to NRT and got the following e-mail today. The bolded font was not originally bolded, I bolded it to highlight.

The health and safety of our customers and crew is a priority for Singapore Airlines and SilkAir. In view of the Covid-19 outbreak, we would like to share with you the enhanced cleaning and precautionary measures that we have instituted on board our aircraft.
All SIA and SilkAir aircraft already undergo a thorough cleaning process when on the ground. In addition, all flights arriving from Mainland China undergo disinfectant fogging. Common surfaces such as tray tables, handsets, and inflight entertainment screens are cleaned with disinfectant wipes. We also remove all headsets, headrest covers, pillow covers, bedsheets, and blankets after every flight sector.
The air filtration systems in our aircraft are equipped with High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters, which have a similar performance to those used in hospital operation rooms. Constant airflow also ensures that the cabin air is refreshed every two to three minutes.
During this period, you may also notice that there have been changes to our in-flight services. These include the replacement of the hot towel service with pre-set wet towelettes, cessation of the after take-off drink service, removal of reading materials from seat-back pockets, and suspension of in-flight sales.
Pre-flight temperature screening for all cabin crew and pilots operating out of Singapore has been in place since 29 January 2020. Our crew also know that they should see a doctor immediately if they feel unwell and should not report for work.
Thank you for your support. We wish you good health and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

I understand all of it except the part about drink service.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Feb 24, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by MisterBill
I just called Chase (again) to see if they can do something about a refund or at least credit for the JFK-SIN flight I have booked for next Tuesday (I was going on a cruise which has since been cancelled and did not have my return flight from Shanghai on the same ticket). I had called Chase a couple of weeks ago and they were supposed to escalate but I never heard back. I got passed to a Chase Travel supervisor and she was going to email SQ to request a refund or at least a credit, but obviously there is no guarantee that they will honor it since they've apparently been the most inflexible of the airlines.

On their FB, Singapore Air makes it seem like they will help you if you contact them but that does not appear to be the case, at least not in their US office.
So here's an unhappy update. Chase never got back to me and since my flight is tomorrow (and I had to make changes 24 hours before my flight), I called again and spoke to a supervisor. They called SQ to try and plead my case, but were unsuccessful. The Chase person said that the Singapore rep was close to giving him a waiver code for the rebooking charge but then said no. Amazingly, the SQ rep told the Chase rep that I needed to email the airline, but SQ had told me in their emailed response that I needed to contact my agent!

After realizing that SQ wasn't going to do anything, I decided to have the agent change my ticket to next January so at least I wouldn't lose it. However, SQ's system won't allow him to book anything past June because that is 12 months from when I purchased my ticket. Since I have to pay $100pp to make the change and have no interest in flying there this year, I just left the ticket as is.

I will be emailing SQ again to see if they will do anything. I will also be contacting a local NYC television station who does consumer advocacy to see if there is anything they can do.

Needless to say, should this not be resolved in a way that allows me to reuse what I paid for the ticket when I actually want to go, I will not be booking SQ when I eventually do go there.

If anyone has a suggestion of how to handle this that I haven't thought of, I would appreciate hearing it.

Last edited by MisterBill; Feb 24, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I have a flight to NRT in Japan and got the following e-mail today. The bolded font was not originally bolded, I bolded it to highlight.

During this period, you may also notice that there have been changes to our in-flight services. These include the replacement of the hot towel service with pre-set wet towelettes, cessation of the after take-off drink service, removal of reading materials from seat-back pockets, and suspension of in-flight sales.

I understand all of it except the part about drink service.
I'm with you that that head-scratcher. I mean, my wife and I are flying (paid, not award) SQ J in late March and I find it hard to believe we couldn't get a drink somehow (whether through regular J service or being those annoying button-pressing-for-FA-service people). Then again, maybe I'll just be happy if our flight isn't cancelled/modified and/or the planet is still spinning.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MisterBill
So here's an unhappy update. Chase never got back to me and since my flight is tomorrow, I called again and spoke to a supervisor. They called SQ to try and plead my case, but were unsuccessful. The Chase person said that the Singapore rep was close to giving him a waiver code for the rebooking charge but then said no.
That's brutal. A very unfortunate coincidence of circumstances. I assume the SQ ticket is nonrefundable? Whether it will retain any value following a no show depends on the fare rules. Chase can tell you what those rules are.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by beckalodeon
I'm with you that that head-scratcher. I mean, my wife and I are flying (paid, not award) SQ J in late March and I find it hard to believe we couldn't get a drink somehow (whether through regular J service or being those annoying button-pressing-for-FA-service people). Then again, maybe I'll just be happy if our flight isn't cancelled/modified and/or the planet is still spinning.
I too am flying paid J (well, actually D, but business cabin). Granted, somebody else paid....but still. I've e-mailed them for clarification on the drinks policy.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:54 pm

I too am flying paid J (well, actually D, but business cabin). Granted, somebody else paid....but still. I've e-mailed them for clarification on the drinks policy.
Aces. Should be amusing...
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I guess the latest cluster of cases north of Milan may cause a further consideration of cancellations. I've emailed my Australian travel insurer this morning asking about "unforeseen disruptions not caused by me" might entitle me to a refund as I'm traveling all over Europe in May
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by beckalodeon
I mean, my wife and I are flying (paid, not award) SQ J in late March and I find it hard to believe we couldn't get a drink somehow
I too am flying paid J (well, actually D, but business cabin).
So it's okay to shut down the post take-off drink service for those grubby award ticketed passengers, but god forbid those who have paid for J should be denied
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
So it's okay to shut down the post take-off drink service for those grubby award ticketed passengers, but god forbid those who have paid for J should be denied
I can see why you're a posting "legend". We've flown many awards flights to/from Asia; my point was that it would somehow suck more to have shelled out thousands only to be 'denied', as you put it. Crikey - lighten up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.