SQ/Krisflyer Coronavirus waivers

Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Exactly!

Cool, thanks

I'll try phoning tomorrow and see if I can't get it spend up. It wasn't a cheap ticket, so while interest rates are crashing and lowering my opportunity cost, I'd like to have my several thousand dollars back.
We were authorised a full refund on a non-refundable business ticket from SIA via the Danish customer service email. They passed it for refund a bit over 2 weeks ago and it appeared on card today (we requested it just before the new waiver but after the FCO advised against travel to Denmark).
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:04 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
I called, because I never received a response after I replied to their first response from my form submission. Their email noted that I'm eligible for the change waiver, but "please note that your new travel should be completed by 31 March 2021, and a fare difference may apply if there is a change in destination or availability of a fare type." When I called to change the dates, my original fare code was still available, but they still wanted me to pay the fare difference since the difference was significantly higher. After 2 hours on the phone, they said they would open up an investigation even though they acknowledged what was said in the email. Not sure why the phone agents were not willing to follow the published policy. Hopefully their investigation will yield a positive result for me, because the fare code and routing is exactly the same.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:47 am

Hi All,
My TA is trying to request for a full refund (no penalties) from SQ on my PE ticket although I doubt they will be succesfull . At first I thought the travel credit wasn't too bad, if I could still use it to fly anywhere (yes) and in any cabin class (no). The Agent informed me that I am not allowed to downgrade my cabin class, only stay the same or upgrade. That's utterly ridiculous. Can anyone confirm if that's the case? Is it also the same case for redemption ticket?
Cheers!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by deskorpio
Hi All,
My TA is trying to request for a full refund (no penalties) from SQ on my PE ticket although I doubt they will be succesfull . At first I thought the travel credit wasn't too bad, if I could still use it to fly anywhere (yes) and in any cabin class (no). The Agent informed me that I am not allowed to downgrade my cabin class, only stay the same or upgrade. That's utterly ridiculous. Can anyone confirm if that's the case? Is it also the same case for redemption ticket?
Cheers!

I think no change fee waiver for re-route/reissue for award tickets. Waive change fee only for the same route. Downgrade will forfeit miles.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:19 pm

After a few denials on the web form (even after mentioning https://www.transportation.gov/brief...carrier-refund ), I called in to get my award flight refunded. The person on the phone seemed to know that I had already attempted a refund via the webform, but confirmed that I was aware of the change option, asked me why I didn't want the change option (to which I explained that I do not expect to book a future high-mileage ticket as high as the one I had booked), and then after placing me on hold for a few minutes, said the refund would be processed.

I was surprised the webform attempts were easily accessible, but the phone call was pretty straightforward and there was not much trouble getting the refund.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by kchen
After a few denials on the web form (even after mentioning https://www.transportation.gov/brief...carrier-refund ), I called in to get my award flight refunded. The person on the phone seemed to know that I had already attempted a refund via the webform, but confirmed that I was aware of the change option, asked me why I didn't want the change option (to which I explained that I do not expect to book a future high-mileage ticket as high as the one I had booked), and then after placing me on hold for a few minutes, said the refund would be processed.

I was surprised the webform attempts were easily accessible, but the phone call was pretty straightforward and there was not much trouble getting the refund.
when is your flight schedule? is your ticket already cancelled by them?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by xiphius
when is your flight schedule? is your ticket already cancelled by them?
It was MEL-SIN-EWR (one week stopover in SIN) during the second half of March. I no-showed MEL-SIN (given the restrictions on entering SIN) but filled out the webform, and then a few days after that, SQ cancelled the SIN-EWR segment. The cancellation did not help with the web form, but appears to have helped with the call.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:02 pm

For award booking changes, if you've booked a first class saver award, does your new flight also need to have saver availability?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by aduma
For award booking changes, if you've booked a first class saver award, does your new flight also need to have saver availability?
Yes, and at least for my flights (SQ637/638) SIA declined to open up any additional award space over what's available on the website so I got them to redeposit the miles (waived fee) instead.

Last edited by shuigao; Apr 8, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:02 pm

I'm on NRT-LAX in May. I'm presuming that's going to get cancelled. My Krisflyer have already passed the expiration date. Do they extend it?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I'm on NRT-LAX in May. I'm presuming that's going to get cancelled. My Krisflyer have already passed the expiration date. Do they extend it?
received email today that miles expired will be extended to June 2021.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm pleased to close the loop on my experience posted about upthread. After SQ telling me it was going to take ~4-5 months from cancellation to get a refund (they said 3-4 months more when I chased them almost a month after I had cancelled), I filed a chargeback with Amex, noting that SQ was refusing to provide my full refund (a) in a timely fashion and (b) specifically in contravention of EU261's timeline for refunds (ticket was MXP-SIN round trip, so EU261 was applicable). Amex has now completed its investigation and resolved it in my favour. I'm glad to be done with this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:51 am

I wonder if there is a US regulation equivalent.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:07 pm

So I never resolved my issue with not getting a refund or any agreement for a future ticket for my one way flight from JFK to Singapore on February 25th (I cancelled my cruise and was a no-show for the flight after being refused a refund or anything else pre-flight). If you read further down you'll see my story and told me to contact Chase Travel, who I had booked thru. I had spoken to Chase several times but was supposed to call again to try to resolve it again after SQ claimed they had emailed them but never did.

ANYWAY, fast forward to today and I just got this email from SQ. Looks like I'll be getting my refund, after all! I'm shocked. I wonder what happened that caused them to change their minds?

Dear Sir/Madam, As these unprecedented times continue, we would like to reassure you that Singapore Airlines continues to place your interests at the heart of everything we do. All Singapore Airlines and SilkAir tickets issued on or before 15 March 2020 for travel between 24 January to 31 July 2020, and any flights cancelled by us due to Covid-19 are now fully covered by our global travel waiver policy. This provides you with the following two options:

1. Retain the value of the unused portion of your ticket as flight credits.This option enables you to:
  • Rebook travel up to 31 December 2021 with rebooking fees waived
  • Choose a new destination or fare type on rebooking
  • Use any surplus flight credits towards a second booking
  • Consider using flight credits to book a higher fare class ticket
  • Receive bonus flight credits, ranging from SGD75 to SGD500, for all unutilised adult fare tickets
  • Obtain a refund for excess baggage and seat selection fees associated to your original booking
Note: Bonus flight credits will be based on your original cabin class, corresponding bonus flight credits in your local currency, may be found here.

2. Opt for a refund for the unused portion of your ticket, which entails the following:
  • Having your remaining ticket value refunded to its original mode of payment
  • A refund of all excess baggage and seat selection fees associated to your original booking
  • A waiver of any cancellation or no show fees
All our travel agency partners have been made aware of these changes, and we encourage you to speak to them to find out about the options available to you. You needn't take any action, if you have already chosen to retain your ticket as flight credits or requested a refund via your travel agent. The full terms and conditions of our global travel waiver policy may be found here, and further details on flight and bonus flight credits may be found here. We look forward to flying with you again in the near future.

Last edited by MisterBill; May 29, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Old May 29, 2020, 3:06 pm

Update -- of course this wasn't going to be easy. Spoke to Chase, their system didn't see the reservation anymore because it's so old. Long story short I asked to speak to a supervisor who emailed SQ to ask them to process the refund. Hopefully this will work out better than it did the last time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.