Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

married segment issues for krisflyer redemptions

married segment issues for krisflyer redemptions

Old Jan 20, 20, 11:14 pm

Programs: Alaska

KUL-SIN-TPE-SEA is allowed. SIN-TPE on BR, can't connect to SIN-TPE on SQ.

BWN is more difficult because its timing is bad for connection with BR for SIN-TPE.

Is it hard to understand that SQ is more lenient on its own metal?
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Yes, SUB, KUL & PEN were all mentioned by OP. SilkAir operates 67%, ~70% and 100% of most weekday flights on said routes, and of course these are not permitted in star alliance award.
Guess SQ IT is lazy n just exclude these routes with mixed MI/SQ flight from star alliance award.
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
Guess SQ IT is lazy n just exclude these routes with mixed MI/SQ flight from star alliance award.
i think it is somewhat selective

With the first leg being non-MI,

- When SIN-TPE-USA are all BR, KUL and SUB can connect to it. Would assume DPS can as well if it obeys the 150% rule of not backtracking

- When SIN-TPE-USA are SQ/BR mix, only DPS can connect to it, KUL and SUB cannot

Whether the same would happen with ANA, when NRT becomes the transit point, remain to be investigated.

Last edited by gnomey; Jan 21, 20 at 12:49 am
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:54 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by gnomey View Post

- When SIN-TPE-USA are SQ/BR mix, only DPS can connect to it, KUL and SUB cannot.
This has more to do with KUL-SIN and SUB-SIN bad timing for connection. Both SIN-TPE flights depart in the morning.

When there is a better connection with another *A carrier(BR), it is hard to justify to layover for longer than necessary to connect to SIN-TPE on SQ.
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by freed0m View Post
e.g. BKK-SIN-TPE
it was extraordinary a few weeks ago when I booked FRA-SIN-BKK. The system asked me if I want a stopover, giving me options of both SIN and TPE. Just out of interest I selected TPE... the routing was FRA-SIN-TPE-SIN-BKK. (That's probably where all the OP's availability SIN-TPE has gone!! )
Old Jan 30, 20, 9:03 pm

I am having this exact problem with a Singapore Air redemption on United metal, domestically in the United States.

Trying to fly one-way SAN-ORD-DCA, departing July 27th with an overnight layover at ORD. SAN-ORD on the 27th shows availability; ORD-DCA on the 28th shows availability; SAN-DCA gets an error message (and annoyingly, the search fields reset each time that happens).

Called the airline, and the agent couldn't find availability. Called back again, and a different agent said he could book the flights, but it would cost double the number of miles on the award chart (25,000 instead of 12,500) because as a connecting flight, "the distance would be longer" - which is not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Anyone else had this issue?

Old Jan 30, 20, 11:59 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SGooMicrorat View Post
I am having this exact problem with a Singapore Air redemption on United metal, domestically in the United States.

Trying to fly one-way SAN-ORD-DCA, departing July 27th with an overnight layover at ORD. SAN-ORD on the 27th shows availability; ORD-DCA on the 28th shows availability; SAN-DCA gets an error message (and annoyingly, the search fields reset each time that happens).

Called the airline, and the agent couldn't find availability. Called back again, and a different agent said he could book the flights, but it would cost double the number of miles on the award chart (25,000 instead of 12,500) because as a connecting flight, "the distance would be longer" - which is not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Anyone else had this issue?

The agent is just making up some sort of excuse, has no idea. That's normal. It has nothing to do with distance the real reason as that within North America a "stopover" (for the purpose of KF star alliance awards) is defined as 4 hrs, and one way awards don't permit stopovers. Therefore it needs to be booked as two awards.

Relevant T&C:

• One complimentary en route stopover is permitted for round-trip awards, unless otherwise stated below. Up to three additional stopovers are also permitted at USD100 each, regardless of the class of service.
  • Complimentary stopovers are not permitted in a purely domestic itinerary, or within the country of departure in an international itinerary.
  • Complimentary stopovers are not permitted if an itinerary contains only European cities, or is between the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • Complimentary stopovers are not permitted for one-way awards.
  • A stopover is defined as a connection above four hours in an itinerary within or between the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands, or a connection above 24 hours in all other itineraries.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: