Kris Flyer Reward Flights to Canada

Old Jan 13, 20, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Kris Flyer, Aeroplan 100K
Kris Flyer Reward Flights to Canada

Hello,

I have been informed by the Kris Flyer agent that Air Canada's Jazz is not recognized by Kris Flyer even though it is a Star Alliance Airline.
I am attempting to book a return flight Kuala Lumpur Malaysia to Nanaimo BC Canada.
Is there another option available to me? I am fairly certain that I did not ask all of the right questions of the agent. I have a large amount of flyer points still to consume before I loose them.
Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards
Dale
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:34 am

Programs: A3 Gold, KF Classic, Accor Plus Platinum, HHonors Diamond, M&C Loyalty Gold
Originally Posted by Polarbeeer View Post
Hello,

I have been informed by the Kris Flyer agent that Air Canada's Jazz is not recognized by Kris Flyer even though it is a Star Alliance Airline.
I am attempting to book a return flight Kuala Lumpur Malaysia to Nanaimo BC Canada.
Is there another option available to me? I am fairly certain that I did not ask all of the right questions of the agent. I have a large amount of flyer points still to consume before I loose them.
Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards
Dale
It seems workable for
KUL-TPE-YVR-YCD
KUL-NRT-YVR-YCD
KUL-PEK-YVR-YCD
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yauee View Post
It seems workable for
KUL-TPE-YVR-YCD
KUL-NRT-YVR-YCD
KUL-PEK-YVR-YCD
Yes it is workable in every way except I can not book the final leg to YCD Nanaimo as Air Canada's subsidiary Jazz is not recognized by Singapore Airlines.
Jazz is in fact a Star Alliance Member. This is what I don't understand.
I thought I would be able to book on any Star Alliance carrier via Kris Flyer.
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:06 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Accor Gold
Yes it is workable in every way except I can not book the final leg to YCD Nanaimo as Air Canada's subsidiary Jazz is not recognized by Singapore Airlines.
In theory, yes. In reality, it’s complicated!!!

Unfortunately, *A airlines don’t all play nice with each other. It could be that SQ cannot access availability on Jazz.

And just as a heads up, Jazz is not a *A member airline. At best, it’d be an affiliate.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:24 am

Think AC Jazz is similar to SilkAir. There is SQ code on SilkAir flight but you canít book via star alliance.
Polarbeeer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Jazz is not *A.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:23 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
Unfortunately, *A airlines donít all play nice with each other. It could be that SQ cannot access availability on Jazz.
This I think. You can certainly book those flights as an award with LifeMiles (and Mileage Plus).
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:05 am

Programs: A3 Gold, KF Classic, Accor Plus Platinum, HHonors Diamond, M&C Loyalty Gold
Well, I will try to get them the AC825x/AC826x to check if really can't. I shall stop myself at YVR. Didn't know Jazz is a member of star alliance as in their website there wasn't any information about star alliance compare to Air Canada did indicate a member of star alliance.

Last edited by yauee; Jan 15, 20 at 10:11 am
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:10 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by yauee View Post
... Didn't know Jazz is a member of star alliance as in their website there wasn't any information about star alliance compare to Air Canada did indicate a member of star alliance.
Jazz is not a member of Star Alliance.
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:31 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WLG Base View Post
Jazz is not a member of Star Alliance.
From what Iíve read Jazz is not a member of star alliance but Air Canada Express is an affiliate and the flights Jaxx operates for Air Canada Express are considered Star Alliance flights. They can certainly be booked as awards by some star alliance partners, and also can be booked as part of a commercial star alliance RTW ticket. This is different to SQ flight numbers on Silk AIr operated flights which canít be booked as redemptions (unless Silk Air is a program partner for that program) and canít be included in commercial * RTW itineraries.
Old Jan 16, 20, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
Old Jan 16, 20, 9:09 am

Programs: LH FTL
Booking Jazz shouldn't make an impact because unlike Silkair, you can't actually buy a ticket on Jazz. You have to purchase a ticket through Air Canada.
Old Jan 16, 20, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviationp View Post
Booking Jazz shouldn't make an impact because unlike Silkair, you can't actually buy a ticket on Jazz. You have to purchase a ticket through Air Canada.
Wow, I never thought of it from that perspective that never considered. That is definitively interesting. Unfortunately I would be hard press to explain that to an employee of Krisflyer/Singapore Airlines if they don't see YCD come up on their screen.
I suppose I was looking for a work around. I may be a frequent flyer but I seldom use my rewards.
Old Jan 16, 20, 10:48 am

Programs: LH FTL
Wow, I never thought of it from that perspective that never considered. That is definitively interesting. Unfortunately I would be hard press to explain that to an employee of Krisflyer/Singapore Airlines if they don't see YCD come up on their screen.
I suppose I was looking for a work around. I may be a frequent flyer but I seldom use my rewards.
Yup, it's almost like you purchased a ticket on Singapore Airlines flight, but the aircraft got substituted with a Silkair Aircraft. I've heard this happening on certain flights, like Brunei, but only the other way around. Ticket was for a silkair flight and the aircraft ended up being Singapore Airlines. Star Alliance partners still wouldn't have access to the flight, since it was a Silk Air flight.
Old Jan 17, 20, 1:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Jazz and Air Canada Express are not subsidiaries of Air Canada, they are owned by Chorus Aviation which is a public company. They have an mainly exclusive arrangement to fly for Air Canada until 2035.

It's hard to follow why they think they are not AC flights since the ownership issue is not relevant to Star Alliance. They are Air Canada flights (small print - operated by Air Canada Jazz/Air Canada Express). It is easy to find flights YVR YCD on the AC website operated as AC flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: