Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Delay Compensation or Complaint

Old Jan 12, 20, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: krisflyer

Greetings all,

My partner recently took a flight from SIN-LHR with delay of roughly 4 hours due to aircraft engine problem. The result is one less meal (as it passed supper time when the flight was in the air) so there is only one breakfast throughout the entire 13 hours flight. (moreover there is no tray when they served her meal, coincidentally ran out of tray and did not come back with a replacement tray). Since the flight is originated outside of EU and its on a non-EU carrier, so I assume EU261 does not apply for this case. Are there any things that could be done?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your partner could send a complaint and perhaps have some small gesture tossed. But, there is certainly no compensation and even more certainly nothing under EC 261/2004.
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Your partner could send a complaint and perhaps have some small gesture tossed. But, there is certainly no compensation and even more certainly nothing under EC 261/2004.
I see, thanks for your help.
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
It's odd they didn't serve the first meal, even with a four hour delay. Did they provide dinner for pax at the airport in advance?

I would write to them and see what they offer you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
It's odd they didn't serve the first meal, even with a four hour delay. Did they provide dinner for pax at the airport in advance?

I would write to them and see what they offer you.
Sorry for not getting in an update. They do serve stuff using a trolley at the boarding gate (canít confirm what is served since Iím not the one experiencing it). (Itís delayed from 12am to 4am)
thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by definitelynotafrequentflyer View Post
Greetings all,

My partner recently took a flight from SIN-LHR with delay of roughly 4 hours due to aircraft engine problem. The result is one less meal (as it passed supper time when the flight was in the air) so there is only one breakfast throughout the entire 13 hours flight. (moreover there is no tray when they served her meal, coincidentally ran out of tray and did not come back with a replacement tray). Since the flight is originated outside of EU and its on a non-EU carrier, so I assume EU261 does not apply for this case. Are there any things that could be done?
Thanks in advance.
Are you saying one of the meals was cancelled because of the delay and in the other one they ran out of food so your partner didn't get a meal tray? That sounds crazy, surely the crew between them could have fashioned a meal out of crew meals or J leftovers.I never heard of the crew deciding to skip a meal because of delays - something that could precipitate a riot!
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlySIA View Post
Are you saying one of the meals was cancelled because of the delay and in the other one they ran out of food so your partner didn't get a meal tray? That sounds crazy, surely the crew between them could have fashioned a meal out of crew meals or J leftovers.I never heard of the crew deciding to skip a meal because of delays - something that could precipitate a riot!
For the first meal, yes itís cancelled, but they do offer stuff using a trolley at the gate (which I think is a reasonable solution since I donít think anyone want to have supper served at 5am). for second meal however, only the main course is served because they ran out of the tray and they do not come back with a replacement tray (which I found itís super weird)
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
For the first meal, yes itís cancelled, but they do offer stuff using a trolley at the gate (which I think is a reasonable solution since I donít think anyone want to have supper served at 5am). for second meal however, only the main course is served because they ran out of the tray and they do not come back with a replacement tray (which I found itís super weird)
Was this in economy?

If yes, well ... I might just make a complaint and see what they offer me, but I wouldn't expect too much.

From what you described, your partner did get fed at the airport (in lieu of supper), and then did get at least a main course on board.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
Was this in economy?

If yes, well ... I might just make a complaint and see what they offer me, but I wouldn't expect too much.

From what you described, your partner did get fed at the airport (in lieu of supper), and then did get at least a main course on board.
thats correct, thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
and they do not come back with a replacement tray (which I found itís super weird)
Did you follow up and ask for the replacement tray when it didn't materialise, and were then refused? It doesn't sound "super weird" to me, sometimes crew just forgot or get drawn into other things, particularly if tired towards of end of long delayed flight.

I was an flight this week (7 hours) on a different carrier and during first meal run the guy forgot to serve the person in the middle seat in the row in front of me, then during later tea/coffee/hot chocolate + lindt ball service, he forgot to serve me (in both instances we signalled to person serving opposite aisle). Basically what I am saying is the crew are human (despite the perception in some quarters that suggest SQ crew are robots), and humans do make mistakes sometimes.

That said it doesn't hurt to pen a note with your concerns to SQ, but wouldn't frame this as demanding compensation, more as disappointment and wondering if this is normal or not.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Did you follow up and ask for the replacement tray when it didn't materialise, and were then refused? It doesn't sound "super weird" to me, sometimes crew just forgot or get drawn into other things, particularly if tired towards of end of long delayed flight.

I was an flight this week (7 hours) on a different carrier and during first meal run the guy forgot to serve the person in the middle seat in the row in front of me, then during later tea/coffee/hot chocolate + lindt ball service, he forgot to serve me (in both instances we signalled to person serving opposite aisle). Basically what I am saying is the crew are human (despite the perception in some quarters that suggest SQ crew are robots), and humans do make mistakes sometimes.

That said it doesn't hurt to pen a note with your concerns to SQ, but wouldn't frame this as demanding compensation, more as disappointment and wondering if this is normal or not.
Iím not the one taking the flight but if Iím not being fed with wrong information, follow up was done but still no tray.
the compensation part mentioned in the title is about the delay rather than the tray 😅😅 (but since it doesnít really have any compensation, donít think she will write the complaint in)
Anyway, we will still continue to travel with SQ despite this minor incident.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:05 pm

Iím not the one taking the flight but if Iím not being fed with wrong information, follow up was done but still no tray.
the compensation part mentioned in the title is about the delay rather than the tray 😅😅 (but since it doesnít really have any compensation, donít think she will write the complaint in)
Anyway, we will still continue to travel with SQ despite this minor incident.

Just write n ask for some miles compensation or krisshop voucher. Better than nothing.

Some time slight delay to get the plane certified for flying is better than flying a faulty plane. I would rather they solve the problem on the ground than discover problem in the air.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
Some time slight delay to get the plane certified for flying is better than flying a faulty plane. I would rather they solve the problem on the ground than discover problem in the air.
Thatís true, totally agree with you. Late arrived better than not arrived 😁😁, thanks for the help.
Really enjoy being part of this community.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: