FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Any worry about Charleston-built 787s? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/2003108-any-worry-about-charleston-built-787s.html)

Rykoshet Jan 7, 2020 8:21 am

Any worry about Charleston-built 787s?

I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm seriously wondering if anyone would consider changing their plans to avoid 787s built in Charleston in May 2018/April 2019. I will likely be on two such planes next month and have options to switch to other models. I wasn't considering this, but my colleague (former pilot) is adamant that these 787s carry undue risk (but he also won't fly the A350, so...)

Am I better off just enjoying my vacation without overthinking these things?

APUBleed Jan 7, 2020 1:44 pm

You’re probably best not to worry and likely will be absolutely fine. That said, given the absolute fiasco the Boeing corporation has been through over the last 10 months or so and some of the allegations I don’t think it would be absolutely insane to at least acknowledge there could be potential issues? I would hope and assume Boeing realise that 787 safety issues now would sink their company and are doing their due diligence about whether any action needs to be taken.

freed0m Jan 7, 2020 11:41 pm

people are more likely to be hit by a car than the plane drops off the sky.

s0ssos Jan 8, 2020 1:42 am

The problem is there are so many little details to worry about that you would go crazy thinking all of them through.
What about the mechanic who sabotaged a plane to get extra work?
Or is your pilot one who has a mental illness, and may go crazy all of a sudden?

These are all real circumstances that affected people's lives (as in crashing and dying), but there is almost no way to know about it beforehand.

demue Jan 8, 2020 5:54 am

Sadly, Charleston build 787s do have a reputation in the industry as prone to quality issues. QR even refuse to take 787s not coming from the Everett plant.

There is a lovely investigative report from a few years ago by AlJazeera on 787 and I'm sure you can find it if googling.

Can one plan for all eventualities in life and does it mean nothing will happen if avoided, of course not, but I can understand some people having discomfort.

In my mind, if one is really concerned about it, plan around it else it'll drive you nuts worrying.

I for one won't be queueing to get on a B737Max for the first few months after it starts flying again.

aviationp Jan 8, 2020 8:12 am

Is there a way to easily tell which planes are built in Everett/Charleston on Singapore Airlines or any other airline?

Rykoshet Jan 8, 2020 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by aviationp (Post 31923800)
Is there a way to easily tell which planes are built in Everett/Charleston on Singapore Airlines or any other airline?

I checked the flight history of the plane via Flight Radar 24. The maiden flight will be listed from Charleston or Everett airports.

Everyone else, thank you for the feedback. I agree, in principle and generally don't have concerns...that's why the upcoming trip is 14 legs (and likely still flying over Iran to boot...) I guess I'll drink up and not think about it. Cheers.

Firemansam Jan 8, 2020 10:55 pm

None have dropped out of the sky yet. You might just be okay 👌

24left Jan 10, 2020 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rykoshet (Post 31919233)
I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm seriously wondering if anyone would consider changing their plans to avoid 787s built in Charleston in May 2018/April 2019. I will likely be on two such planes next month and have options to switch to other models. I wasn't considering this, but my colleague (former pilot) is adamant that these 787s carry undue risk (but he also won't fly the A350, so...)

Am I better off just enjoying my vacation without overthinking these things?

@Rykoshet

As you likely know from reading the AC Forum, I am one of many who live on these aircraft flying AC's Pacific routes. I've been flying AC's 788s since they came in to the fleet in 2014 and the 789s since they entered the fleet in 2015. I've also flown the B789s from NH (at least 6 flights in the past year or so), BR and AA. So far, none of these have fallen out of the sky (to use the words of others).

I've also flown SQs A359s.

While there are indeed reports of issues from the Charleston plant, I've also heard of issues from Everett. And like you, I know at least one pilot from an Asian airline who won't fly either aircraft, plus one senior FA at AC who won't fly them.

While I would not dismiss your concerns, I think there are far bigger issues out there with airlines, the flying experience these days, and plenty of destinations around the world with issues.

Happy Travels.

percysmith Jan 10, 2020 11:58 pm

It's not falling out of the sky
Modern jetliners have too much redundancy for that. Plus, I trust SQ pilots are still competent.

However will it impact on aircraft availability?