Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How much longer for US fifth freedom flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

How much longer will SQ choose to offer service between LAX & NRT, SFO & HKG, and NYC & FRA? Is SQ just getting a bit more operational data on the ULR nonstops between SIN & these US airports on the 359s before pulling out on the direct one-stop routes? Is SQ actually making a profit on these fifth freedom US routes?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If SQ dropped their fifth freedoms to the US, they would have no F product to the USA, and only Y seats to SEA and SFO- no Y to LAX/NYC. They would also be cutting their capacity big time; there aren’t enough 359 ULHs to backfill losing 2x77W and 1 A380, and their standard longhaul A359 only reaches SEA and SFO (and double dailies for SEA and multiple dailies to SFO might not work out well).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 28, 2019 at 2:03 am
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What possible business reason would SQ have for dropping what are known to be highly-profitable services which generate US$ and brand loyalty?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

NRT fares will collapse w/ pending desirable flight times at HND

FRA fares are frequently a $2Kish deal in J

HKG a mess these days
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
NRT fares will collapse w/ pending desirable flight times at HND

FRA fares are frequently a $2Kish deal in J

HKG a mess these days
2-3k is the going rate for J fares to most places in Europe with any kind of advance booking. The SQ flight basically competes with only vastly subpar offerings from LH and DL, not to mention the onward traffic to SIN. SQ can sell the flights two ways, either the full trip from JFK to SIN (still a very busy route despite the nonstop from Jersey) and as each individual segment. SQ and EK are always my first choice when traveling to Europe. I’ll happily fly into Frankfurt or Milan and take a train to my final destination (if it isn’t one of those cities) than fly some garbage US or EU product.

Yes there’s the EWR-SIN flight but not only does in not offer F, it also is from EWR, a location many (myself included) shall not visit.
eponymous_coward and Sandeep1 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

endstate wiill be double daily NYC-SIN from each port

not much profit in $2K rt J fares to EU
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
endstate wiill be double daily NYC-SIN from each port

not much profit in $2K rt J fares to EU
You seem to forget there’s also an F and Y class. Also, the A380 offers considerably more premium seats than an A350.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Let's not forget the strangest SQ route

Houston to Manchester. On the plus side always lots of award availability on that one lol
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
You seem to forget there’s also an F
give me 11K on the ULR 359 nonstop, and i’ll turn down a free F upgrade to switch to SQ11 every time

Last edited by Colin; Dec 28, 2019 at 1:01 am
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

give me 11K on the ULR 359 nonstop, and i’ll turn down a free F upgrade to switch to SQ11 every time
And what makes you think you represent the typical US-based SQ F/J pax? Note that all the ULR planes in the SQ fleet realistically can support 3 ULH routes. So SQ is going to remove all F in USA markets and everyone will be happy fighting over all the bulkhead seats in J every day?

You’ve also completely elided the point that this would seriously reduce SQ capacity in US markets: there is no way to replace that 77W/A380 capacity with A359s. SQ sells connecting traffic to SE Asia too. That’s a lot of Y to surrender to BR and CX, and a lot of F to cough up to CX... I bet they’d throw a party if SQ cut their lift to the US by that much. UA is probably happy as well in this hypothetical, more Y traffic flow for them too.

Finally... where are you putting that capacity that is better than the US?
chisquared likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 28, 2019 at 2:46 am
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete, duplicate

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 28, 2019 at 2:45 am Reason: Delete, duplicate
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:08 am
Original Poster

you think SQ sells a bunch of high-margin two-stop connecting Y cabin fares to SE Asia? who is this consumer that pays more for that rather than one-stop service on a dozen or so other carriers?

don’t you suppose SQ could add a row of F to ULR 359s over time if the data suggests there is demand?

do you really think there’s long-term profitability at NRT in a desirable-slot HND world?

obviously i’m just a nobody using logic, but my prediction is these “direct” routes end in the not too distant future
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

don’t you suppose SQ could add a row of F to ULR 359s over time if the data suggests there is demand?

It’s not a big fleet, having to change things over and take planes out of service stretches it pretty thin. Note that even if this has come to pass you still have basically eviscerated SQ’s ability to offer Y to the USA- you basically have less than two daily A359s worth of coach seats.

Less than 5 daily A359s (SEA below daily, SFO, LAX, EWR, JFK, the latter three in ULH premium heavy config) is shrinking their relevance in the US markets by a lot compared to 1x380, 3x77W, 2x359, 2x359 ULH. That’s what, a thousand seats or so out of the US market daily? And again, in which markets does SQ put those thousand-ish seats?

do you really think there’s long-term profitability at NRT in a desirable-slot HND world?

If it really came down to it, I would expect SQ to switch their fifth freedom to a different city in order to preserve their lift to US markets.

obviously i’m just a nobody using logic, but my prediction is these “direct” routes end in the not too distant future

I suppose we will see. It’s always fun playing FlyerTalk’s EVP of Network Planning.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I don’t know the answer, but how much freight does SQ pickup on the one-stop services? Not as capacity limited as the non-stop services.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Of course SQ has the data. Close to a decade of it, at least. After the first attempt with the A345s it’s fair to assume they’ve learned a thing or two about these ULR flights.

If F demand didn’t exist on the nonstops back in 2004-2013, it’s even less likely to exist today. Especially with F in decline across the industry.
chisquared likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.