FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Why would SQ put a stranger between us with multiple other seats available? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1997389-why-would-sq-put-stranger-between-us-multiple-other-seats-available.html)

Grog Dec 6, 2019 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by sol95 (Post 31788893)
OP, I think you're being overly dramatic about a situation you clearly don't have much understanding about.

Most Asian airlines don't allocate seats automatically on booking. And this is the case for SQ...you can online book, and unless you select your seat, you won't have one allocated.

All this to say, the reason you have someone sitting between you and your travelling partner is because a fellow traveller explicitly chose that seat. You chose to risk this outcome by selecting a window and aisle, so suck it up and move on.

Thank you for an informative post. And for a solid bottom-line.

But also please reread my initial post with a neutral voice in your head. And then read the others' responses to my post. The over-dramatizations occurred in their responses, not in my thread-starter.

SilverChris Dec 6, 2019 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Grog (Post 31814150)
But also please reread my initial post with a neutral voice in your head. And then read the others' responses to my post. The over-dramatizations occurred in their responses, not in my thread-starter.

The only over-dramatisation in this thread is the idea of calling SQ and expecting them to ring up the middle seat passenger.

Grog Dec 6, 2019 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris (Post 31814207)
The only over-dramatisation in this thread is the idea of calling SQ and expecting them to ring up the middle seat passenger.

With all due respect, please consult a dictionary. When I called, a number of subjects were discussed. There was no drama. Your post is an overdramatization of what most posters here are considering to be an overexpectation -- a overexpectation which wasn't at all dramatic.

Grog Dec 6, 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 31813926)
If there are numerous other seats available why do you not pick something else?

I've now taken the flight. And at time of check-in, I did ultimately pick something else.

RTWFF Dec 7, 2019 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Grog (Post 31814495)
With all due respect, please consult a dictionary. When I called, a number of subjects were discussed. There was no drama. Your post is an overdramatization of what most posters here are considering to be an overexpectation -- a overexpectation which wasn't at all dramatic.

And then there's this from the original post

Originally Posted by Grog (Post 31814495)
It will certainly keep me from booking SQ again for quite a long time, if ever.

yauee Dec 8, 2019 7:47 am

Originally Posted by yauee (Post 31790256)
Just for our knowledge as non LH SEN, does LH/LX/OS practice to contact other traveler or manually changing their seat assignment under same situation?

Grog a neutral question had been missed,

Audio Dec 8, 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Grog (Post 31814505)
I've now taken the flight. And at time of check-in, I did ultimately pick something else.

Ah!! The middle seat stranger did the right thing! He now have all 3 seats to himself!!

(Audio)

lokijuh Dec 8, 2019 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Audio (Post 31820015)
Ah!! The middle seat stranger did the right thing! He now have all 3 seats to himself!!

(Audio)

On many airlines this might be the case, in the case of SQ, in my experience, other than short flights within SE Asia, it is rarely so empty that anyone can expect three seats to themselves. Maybe three seats between two people yes, but not whole banks of seats with only one person sitting there.

Audio Dec 8, 2019 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 31820064)
On many airlines this might be the case, in the case of SQ, in my experience, other than short flights within SE Asia, it is rarely so empty that anyone can expect three seats to themselves. Maybe three seats between two people yes, but not whole banks of seats with only one person sitting there.

You are also correct but since Grog moved away during check-in for a lightly loaded flight, it is highly likely that the check-in counter staff has no time or any need to filled up the 2 separate seats.

(Audio)

lokijuh Dec 8, 2019 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Audio (Post 31820198)
You are also correct but since Grog moved away during check-in for a lightly loaded flight, it is highly likely that the check-in counter staff has no time or any need to filled up the 2 separate seats.

(Audio)

Someone who is allocated middle seat asks for an aisle, or window, or someone could have selected such seats during online check in process. Just because seats were available to move to at time of check in, doesn't mean that the flight was lightly loaded, it may have been simply that not many people had pre-selected seats. Those of us dealing with SQ for years know that whilst an entire cabin can be blocked from seat selection, at a certain point before the flight, and definitely by the time online check in opens, many seats not specifically allocated to individuals or groups are opened up for anyone to select.

Audio Dec 8, 2019 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 31820217)
Someone who is allocated middle seat asks for an aisle, or window, or someone could have selected such seats during online check in process. Just because seats were available to move to at time of check in, doesn't mean that the flight was lightly loaded, it may have been simply that not many people had pre-selected seats. Those of us dealing with SQ for years know that whilst an entire cabin can be blocked from seat selection, at a certain point before the flight, and definitely by the time online check in opens, many seats not specifically allocated to individuals or groups are opened up for anyone to select.

Also, the middle seat may had been blocked out to be allocated to TS as an empty seat in the first place. This had happened to me many times during the last few months of SQ travel.

(Audio)

lokijuh Dec 9, 2019 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Audio (Post 31820327)
Also, the middle seat may had been blocked out to be allocated to TS as an empty seat in the first place. This had happened to me many times during the last few months of SQ travel.

(Audio)

That is true!

sol95 Dec 9, 2019 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Grog (Post 31814150)
Thank you for an informative post. And for a solid bottom-line.

LOL

You're actually incorrect. The over-dramatisation started with you in your original post when you expressed surprise that SQ would neither move nor contact the passenger seated between yourself and your travelling partner.

We could probably start a "DYKWIA SQ" thread with your post as the launch story! :P

redvelvetmartinis Dec 10, 2019 3:17 am

Originally Posted by sol95 (Post 31823875)
LOL

You're actually incorrect. The over-dramatisation started with you in your original post when you expressed surprise that SQ would neither move nor contact the passenger seated between yourself and your travelling partner.

We could probably start a "DYKWIA SQ" thread with your post as the launch story! :P

I'll be your first subscriber. :D

chisquared Dec 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by sol95 (Post 31823875)
The over-dramatisation started with you in your original post when you expressed surprise that SQ would neither move nor contact the passenger seated between yourself and your travelling partner.

I would say that the drama also continued when the OP said that this was a good reason to take their business elsewhere.

I mean, I understand that it’s their money, so they are free to spend it however they please for whatever reason. But, c’mon, let’s not pretend the reason given above is good.