Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Why would SQ put a stranger between us with multiple other seats available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would SQ put a stranger between us with multiple other seats available?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gforce
Writing off an airline on the basis that someone else selected a middle seat is frankly speaking, a bit ridiculous. OP - if this feels so traumatic, just select another pair of seats.
There is no pair of adjoining seats to select from. And if I don't generally need the airline, it's a perfectly solid reason for writing it off.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dav662
Just ask at check in. If you are *G they usually accommodate you unless the passenger himself booked that particular seat. Is it an exit row or a bulkhead or an extra leg space kind of a seat?
As stated in my original post, it is not particular or special in any way: not exit, not front, not bulkhead, not extra room. That's exactly why I would've thought if any seat would remain untaken on the flight, it would be that one.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anniegray
That's a selfish attitude!
Why didn't you choose better seats originally if you're gold?
Because they were not made available to me. How exactly am I selfish for not wanting a stranger placed into the X - O - X configuration if there are plenty of other seats this stranger could've been placed into?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Perhaps the traveler chose the seat (no idea why they would) but not sure why you think it was some sinister act by SQ. And, since you (rightly so) didn't expect to be guaranteed the middle seat anyway, hardly seems like a good reason to write off airline completely...
There are a number of airlines which intentionally scatter persons in a single PNR throughout the aircraft. Lauda Motion is renowned for taking 5 or 6 passengers in a single PNR and giving them all middle seats in different rows. It's not out of the realm of possibility that SQ does likewise, hence my post to flush out answers.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
Except that there are about 12 aisles already available--many with the middle seat occupied and many without. If it's a poor chap, it's only because they didn't look at the rest of the seatmap.
Why dont you choose the aisle seat and the middle seat then? Allow that lucky guy to score three seats in a row...

As stated in my original post, it is not particular or special in any way: not exit, not front, not bulkhead, not extra room. That's exactly why I would've thought if any seat would remain untaken on the flight, it would be that one.
Guess it is a lucky row of seats. Is it row 8? 18? 28? 48? 58? 68? 88? 98? 108? (oh I got carried away).
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anaidross
Why dont you choose the aisle seat and the middle seat then? Allow that lucky guy to score three seats in a row...
That's not an option that I will consider, but thank you.

Originally Posted by anaidross
Guess it is a lucky row of seats. Is it row 8? 18? 28? 48? 58? 68? 88? 98? 108? (oh I got carried away).
Comedic timing and knowing your audience -- nailing those keeps every jester from getting carried away.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:08 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
How do you know they haven't blocked the middle seat for you?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Some people like middles.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:12 pm

but I do have Star Alliance Gold status and it seems very odd that Singapore Air would place someone between us when many better seats are available.

It will certainly keep me from booking SQ again for quite a long time, if ever.

Your thoughts on why they would intentionally punish the other traveler and simultaneously irritate a frequent flyer?
It's no doubt 100% SQ's fault and they did a terrible job to accommodate you. You should write on their facebook or twitter. These guys are horrible. With your most valuable shinny status, they should automatically upgrade you to the cockpit.
anaidross, lsquare and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by gforce
Writing off an airline on the basis that someone else selected a middle seat is frankly speaking, a bit ridiculous. OP - if this feels so traumatic, just select another pair of seats.
It's rather reminiscent of a 15yo girl stamping her foot and exclaiming "You have totally ruined my life". It happens in my household all the time. It also happened recently at the United Nations if I'm not mistaken
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
OP, I think you're being overly dramatic about a situation you clearly don't have much understanding about.

Most Asian airlines don't allocate seats automatically on booking. And this is the case for SQ...you can online book, and unless you select your seat, you won't have one allocated.

All this to say, the reason you have someone sitting between you and your travelling partner is because a fellow traveller explicitly chose that seat. You chose to risk this outcome by selecting a window and aisle, so suck it up and move on.
lsquare and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:49 pm

When is your flight n the plane type involved?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Because they were not made available to me. How exactly am I selfish for not wanting a stranger placed into the X - O - X configuration if there are plenty of other seats this stranger could've been placed into?
Because you think your false entitlement to an empty middle seat trumps a fellow passenger’s legitimate entitlement to that particular seat.

There are a number of airlines which intentionally scatter persons in a single PNR throughout the aircraft. Lauda Motion is renowned for taking 5 or 6 passengers in a single PNR and giving them all middle seats in different rows. It's not out of the realm of possibility that SQ does likewise, hence my post to flush out answers.
I’m confused. Did SQ break up your party or was it you who intentionally did so in hopes of scoring an empty middle seat?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
There is no pair of adjoining seats to select from. And if I don't generally need the airline, it's a perfectly solid reason for writing it off.
Well, you seem to be convinced that it is a legitimate reason to write a company off, despite what some others may have suggested otherwise, so I would say go ahead and just write them off and move on.
Grog, lsquare and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:41 pm

Flying SQ economy soon. Looked at a seatmap and saw a less-than-full cabin.

Reserved the aisle and window seats in very normal seats (no extra legroom, not up front, nothing special), leaving the middle seat empty.

Checked yesterday and I now see the middle seat filled by a stranger, even though there are a number of other aisle, middle, and window seats available (but no two side by side that we could move to).

The call center refused to consider either contacting the other traveler or manually changing their seat assignment.

I understand I don't have a right to an empty seat between us, but I do have Star Alliance Gold status and it seems very odd that Singapore Air would place someone between us when many better seats are available.

It will certainly keep me from booking SQ again for quite a long time, if ever.

Your thoughts on why they would intentionally punish the other traveler and simultaneously irritate a frequent flyer?
I'm surprised that you havn't been called out yet. Maybe the others have better manners than I... But for what it is worth, I don't think you were being selfish. Rather, I do think you had a bad case of DYKWIAitis. Now before you get all defensive, let it be said that it happens to many people, some of them often.

I'm going to assume you were gaming the system with your seat selections... hoping to win the cattle class lottery like many couples/pairs do. In this case, you didn't win.

Now, let me break this down into two parts...

1) You expected SQ to call the passenger and tell them to move or to move them without their consent? Really?

2) Here's a listing of benefits for *Ag
- Priority check-in
- Priority baggage
- Airport lounge access
- Priority boarding
- Extra baggage allowance
- Gold track
- Priority reservation waitlisting
- Priority airport standby

I don't see blocking of seats as a benefit listed there... and again, before you get huffy, LH doesn't appear to list blocking of seats either as a benefit... The closest I could find was blocking the middle seat for intra-euro flights (although that's what they classify as business class, not economy). For international flights, I could not find anything, but I could be wrong.

So I'm not sure why you have this expectation of them doing something they don't do for their own elites. I'm also going to assume that you're never going to book LH "for a long time, if ever" as well for international flights since they won't guarantee you a blocked middle seat. In fact, I don't know of any airline who does this (for economy seats)

As for not booking SQ in the future, I seriously doubt that's going to make them change their minds (or to call the other passenger demanding they move because you're a *Ag)..Making threats against SQ (or any airline) like that is akin to a child holding their breath until you clear the broccoli off their plate. Doesn't hurt them and doesn't do any good for you either.

As others have suggested, you could try waiting until everyone is on board and asking them to move to another free seat (I would recommend avoiding putting stuff in their seat and then demanding they move).

Good luck (really) with your request.
anaidross, lsquare, dav662 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.