Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / AC 75K / ALL Diamond
Last minute award upgrade inventory?

I have two upcoming flights on SQ...

Nov 17 / SQ37 / LAX-SIN
- Currently Z9 on ExpertFlyer

Nov 28 / SQ28 / SIN-SEA
- Currently Z7 on EF

In the case of SQ37 since there are only a couple of days before departure, it looks possible that Z won't sell out. I've set up an alert for "I" inventory on EF so I can try to do a Star Alliance upgrade award, but nothing has opened up yet.

Does SQ ever release last-minute "I" space? Or am I likely out of luck?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Contrary to other airlines, IIRC, SQ uses Z as its highest Biz fare bucket not the lowest. D is the low one on SQ.

While no one can tell you for sure about late release for award seats or upgrades (different buckets I believe), with only Z remaining it is not quite as promising.

Alas, SQ has been known to let cabins go out with quite a number of empty seats when people had waitlisted rewards in the past or suddenly redemption seats popped up last minute, really a luck of the draw. YMMV.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:42 am

Cant even search for award seats for 17/11 LAX-SIN. Guess they are waiting for last minute sale as the price is around Us$8000 round trip.

For SQ28, only PE seats available for award. Not even advantage award. Guess chance are low.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by demue
Contrary to other airlines, IIRC, SQ uses Z as its highest Biz fare bucket not the lowest. D is the low one on SQ.

While no one can tell you for sure about late release for award seats or upgrades (different buckets I believe), with only Z remaining it is not quite as promising.

Alas, SQ has been known to let cabins go out with quite a number of empty seats when people had waitlisted rewards in the past or suddenly redemption seats popped up last minute, really a luck of the draw. YMMV.
In my experience chances are close to 0 at this late stage. As others have posted, I have also experienced business cabins going close to half empty without any last minute awards or even upgrades being granted (a policy which makes little sense to me commercially).
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Wtravel
In my experience chances are close to 0 at this late stage. As others have posted, I have also experienced business cabins going close to half empty without any last minute awards or even upgrades being granted (a policy which makes little sense to me commercially).
it makes commercial sense to deter people from buying refundable fare early, only to cancel and buy award ticket later. Or wait for last minute to snatch award tickets/upgrade.

it happens to other airlines very often, but not SQ. Just read how many are waiting for close to departure business award for Cathay/Japan Airlines/ANA etc.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Agree with the previous posters re chances. It might happen, but my best guess would be that it's incredibly unlikely.

One experience that I've had might be relevant. I had a J award ticket ealier this year. The day before the flight, I was trying to rebook to another flight later, but on the same day of the flight. This means that I already had the ticket, so, in some sense, SQ didn't even need to open up any "additional" award space. I tried calling several times, but was unfortunately not able to get them to rebook me. When I checked the load of the flight I wanted to take, J was not full.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by acrooksie
I have two upcoming flights on SQ...

Nov 17 / SQ37 / LAX-SIN
- Currently Z9 on ExpertFlyer

Nov 28 / SQ28 / SIN-SEA
- Currently Z7 on EF

In the case of SQ37 since there are only a couple of days before departure, it looks possible that Z won't sell out. I've set up an alert for "I" inventory on EF so I can try to do a Star Alliance upgrade award, but nothing has opened up yet.

Does SQ ever release last-minute "I" space? Or am I likely out of luck?
At 16 Nov, 0400 PST, availability on SQ37 is Z2. so it might be Z0 by the time the flight departs.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by epigram
At 16 Nov, 0400 PST, availability on SQ37 is Z2. so it might be Z0 by the time the flight departs.
Right now you still can buy up to 6 business class seats on SQ37 for 17/nov.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by freed0m
it makes commercial sense to deter people from buying refundable fare early, only to cancel and buy award ticket later. Or wait for last minute to snatch award tickets/upgrade.

it happens to other airlines very often, but not SQ. Just read how many are waiting for close to departure business award for Cathay/Japan Airlines/ANA etc.
That depends on the numbers, and given the data crunching airlines do, I am sure some of the other carriers that do release last minute award space on flights with good spare availability of last-minute seats have also done their math and know what they are doing. What is relevant (and this is post-release of upgrade bids and the likes) is to what extent there will be cannibalisation of revenue sales, so how many passengers would actually purchase revenue premium cabin tickets if they didnt get the last minute awards or upgrades. While there may be some, I very much doubt it will be half a cabin, since many of those wanting to use miles simply cannot or will not pay for the premium fare. So if the airline is good at predicting how many fall into which category on a given flight, it can kill two birds with one stone: have people use up miles at variable cost to the carrier on a last-minute basis where the carrier predicts spare capacity after taking into account last minute revenue demand, while still maximizing fare revenue. Flying around with lots of empty seats while not releasing any awards to me therefore simply suggests the carrier is not very good at these predictions and shooting itself in the foot (inter alia, by unnecessarily reducing the attractiveness of its FFP).

Anyway, on my routes I usually have good last-minute alternatives and therefore a backup plan: if I dont get an award or upgrade on SQ, I simply take another carrier with 0 revenue to SQ. So at least in my case it cant make much commercial sense for them
Old Mar 4, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have a 9-hour overnight transit in SIN tonight. Doesn't anyone know if there's any chance at all of a C class award redemption opening up last minute on a flight and is there a way to enquire about this at the airport? I have a C class redemption not he flight the following morning (SIN - LHR) Just a long shot I know.... Thanks. KrisFlyer Gold if it matters.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:40 pm

You can ask at the lounge, unlikely to have redemption space for SQ322. SQ306 will be your best bet.

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I have a 9-hour overnight transit in SIN tonight. Doesn't anyone know if there's any chance at all of a C class award redemption opening up last minute on a flight and is there a way to enquire about this at the airport? I have a C class redemption not he flight the following morning (SIN - LHR) Just a long shot I know.... Thanks. KrisFlyer Gold if it matters.
yorkboy24 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jjjohn
You can ask at the lounge, unlikely to have redemption space for SQ322. SQ306 will be your best bet.
Seems I got lucky. In Y boarding now from HKG - SIN but they managed to change my C class booking to SQ322 at the check in desk in HKG. Thanks again for the advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.