Search

(Lack of) Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
(Lack of) Award Availability

Hi,

Since SQ has introduced the system of confirming or cancelling w/l‘s for award flights 14 days out I get the impression that it is practically impossible to get award seats during those last 14 days until the flight. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I can‘t seem to get (in my case business) awards during that period, irrespective of the load of the flights, on several routes. And even if there is good availability of revenue seats less than 48h out (I am aware SQ generally doesn‘t grant awards during the last 24h/the day of the flight), which means you are not competing with upgrade bids during that time window, awards never open up. Under these circumstances, what is the point of earning Krisflyer miles
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:06 pm

It all depend on your route and travel date. What route you are looking for.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
It all depend on your route and travel date. What route you are looking for.
Cont. Europe to SIN and SIN to DXB. Just recently a colleague of mine flew on a (revenue) ZRH-SIN flight in C, where they were not releasing any award seats even last minute, and the cabin ended up being 1/3 empty... ...not the best of yield management to me.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:39 pm

SQ have been known to be stingy on their awards seats. Especially for long haul route (and esp for those destination with only one daily flight). They are waiting for last minute sales of revenue seats. There are many examples of SQ not clearing waitlist n fly with empty cabins.

And the recent change does not mean that SQ will release more seats. They just want give more certainty.
And if you have check other routes, there are many routes with saver seats available within 2 weeks of departure. So it all depend on the routes. Even for ZRH-SIN, there are saver business seats available for dec. but for nov wise, guess they have released additional seats to those on waitlists n thus are not releasing more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.