Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Cabin luggage allowance and checks (?) with Silkair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm currently building a MR which may include a flight on MI. I've never flown with them.

I know SQ is relatively easy-going when it comes to cabin luggage. As long as you meet the size restrictions for the carry-on as well as on the personal item, they're cool (in my experience). It's a total difference to AirAsia and such where they might complain if you hand luggage is just 1 kg over the limit.

So what can I expect on MI?

Please don't get me wrong. I know the risk is all mine whatever the responses in this thread. I don't want your approval for me bending the rules by taking an extra 1 kg of hand luggage.

I'm just curious as to what to expect on MI. Specifically, could there be any weighing of cabin baggage in either SIN or KUL?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by 8mh
I'm currently building a MR which may include a flight on MI. I've never flown with them.

I know SQ is relatively easy-going when it comes to cabin luggage. As long as you meet the size restrictions for the carry-on as well as on the personal item, they're cool (in my experience). It's a total difference to AirAsia and such where they might complain if you hand luggage is just 1 kg over the limit.

So what can I expect on MI?

Please don't get me wrong. I know the risk is all mine whatever the responses in this thread. I don't want your approval for me bending the rules by taking an extra 1 kg of hand luggage.

I'm just curious as to what to expect on MI. Specifically, could there be any weighing of cabin baggage in either SIN or KUL?
Fairly confident you'd be okay. I've never had my hand luggage weighed before on MI at those two stations. (P.S. MI is the regional arm of SQ and not an LCC, so the experience is closer to SQ than AK)
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by cowie
Fairly confident you'd be okay. I've never had my hand luggage weighed before on MI at those two stations. (P.S. MI is the regional arm of SQ and not an LCC, so the experience is closer to SQ than AK)
Agreed. On either MI or SQ I have only ever had my carry on weighed in LAX and that was traveling in J.

Think they will only weigh if they suspect the item to be heavier than allowance so unless you do something to make the check in staff think it’s super heavy then they won’t even check it.

I’ve flown MI to KL, Penang, Phuket, Hanoi, as well as few more and not once checked so sure you’ll (OP) be fine.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: Enrich
Honestly, flying so many times on SQ during the period between 2002 to 2012, the only time my hand carry getting check is in SFO. I told them that I had my laptop and adapter in my carry on which is the reason it felt like 10 to 12kg, so they let me go away with it at gate.

Else, the last few year I never experience any check at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.