Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Which J flights to Bali - SQ JFK-FRA-DPS, or CX JFK-HKG-DPS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Our choice is between:

1) SQ with a total of 3 flights - 2 flights (JFK-FRA and FRA-SIN) on the older A380, and then the new Boeing 787-10 for the SIN-DPS flight.

2) CX with a total of 2 flights, JFK-HKG on a 777-300ER and HKG-DPS with the non-flat J regional seats.

Any thoughts on which you'd book?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rje444
Our choice is between:

1) SQ with a total of 3 flights - 2 flights (JFK-FRA and FRA-SIN) on the older A380, and then the new Boeing 787-10 for the SIN-DPS flight.

2) CX with a total of 2 flights, JFK-HKG on a 777-300ER and HKG-DPS with the non-flat J regional seats.

SQ older A380 seats are really showing their age, why not EWR-SIN-DPS?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Toss up for me- more depending on where I want to credit- *A or OW

Mileage about the same SQ JFK-FRA-SIN same flight number =10,574 miles, CX 10,208 (according to GCM)

https://www.wheretocredit.com/
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unionruler
SQ older A380 seats are really showing their age, why not EWR-SIN-DPS?

Thanks for the good suggestion, but EWR is only showing Advantage awards available, not Saver for my dates, so they're too expensive for me.

I had always heard the old seats are comfortable even if looking a little tired.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Thanks for the good suggestion, but EWR is only showing Advantage awards available, not Saver for my dates, so they're too expensive for me.

I had always heard the old seats are comfortable even if looking a little tired.
They are okay. If you are of a larger build they should be more comfortable than CX, but else bear in mind CX has introduced new mattress pads in J.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Now, any HKG award options sound like a loser to me.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Now, any HKG award options sound like a loser to me.

Is that because you think things will still be in turmoil in Hong Kong for a very long time, or because you don't want to spend money that might help support the Chinese government? Or for another reason?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:07 pm

SQ. Only because I consider the older A380 seats preferable to the new ones as the leather, when they get older, feel snugger and comfier!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is that because you think things will still be in turmoil in Hong Kong for a very long time, or because you don't want to spend money that might help support the Chinese government? Or for another reason?
Neither - service reduction.

One of the CX JFK flight has been discontinued (JFK-YVR will no longer run and terminate at YVR instead). It is widely expected that CX will further cut its service. The only problem is everything else is still an unknown.

So if you book the CX option with HKG, your reservation can be impacted.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Not Cathay. SQ a way better product.

Dont support Cathay and Chinese state.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Our choice is between:

So I guess it’s an award? What are the flight timings like? Is “we” you and a partner? Kid?

HKG-DPS is 5ish hours in a very blah config (basically USA domestic F/international PE). I would find it hard to sleep like that, if I was dying from a long trip and wanted 40 winks. IMO SQ regional J >>> CX regional J.

Originally Posted by zebranz
Toss up for me- more depending on where I want to credit- *A or OW

Mileage about the same SQ JFK-FRA-SIN same flight number =10,574 miles, CX 10,208 (according to GCM)

https://www.wheretocredit.com/
You can credit both to AS...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 7, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So I guess it’s an award? What are the flight timings like? Is “we” you and a partner? Kid?

HKG-DPS is 5ish hours in a very blah config (basically USA domestic F/international PE). I would find it hard to sleep like that, if I was dying from a long trip and wanted 40 winks. IMO SQ regional J >>> CX regional J.

I was going back and forth about this, as both airlines had pros and cons for getting to Bali. But this afternoon I had to pull the trigger, so we decided to go with CX. It is myself and my wife, and yes, it is an award flight.

What made me finally decide in favor of CX was only having to change planes once, instead of twice on SQ, and being able to control the seat positions without having to flip over the seat.

Your point about comfort on the HKG-DPS leg is well-taken, and I know I'm not going to be thrilled with those seats, but on balance we'll put up with them for what I understand should be closer to 4 hours of actual flight time.

And it didn't hurt that the Oneworld award cost 59,000 fewer miles for the 2 of us than it would have for the SQ Saver award!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:41 am

I was going back and forth about this, as both airlines had pros and cons for getting to Bali. But this afternoon I had to pull the trigger, so we decided to go with CX. It is myself and my wife, and yes, it is an award flight.

What made me finally decide in favor of CX was only having to change planes once, instead of twice on SQ, and being able to control the seat positions without having to flip over the seat.

Your point about comfort on the HKG-DPS leg is well-taken, and I know I'm not going to be thrilled with those seats, but on balance we'll put up with them for what I understand should be closer to 4 hours of actual flight time.

And it didn't hurt that the Oneworld award cost 59,000 fewer miles for the 2 of us than it would have for the SQ Saver award!
Miles saving. Agreed.
Changing planes once instead of twice. Agreed.

However flipping the seat is quicker than staying in the seat and pressing the button to roll down into flat bed mode. Takes less than 30 seconds overall.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mlee888
However flipping the seat is quicker than staying in the seat and pressing the button to roll down into flat bed mode. Takes less than 30 seconds overall.
Thanks, good to know. I'll remember that for next time.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Having recently flown SIN to DPS on the 787, it's a terrifically stellar regional J product. I would chose JFK-FRA-SIN-DPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.