What to do with 10000 miles

Old Sep 22, 19, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
What to do with 10000 miles

Hello all

my wife has recently earned just over 10,000 miles however neither of us generally fly Singapore Airlines. We are UK based and generally use BA or One World Partners.

I know this isnít many miles but does anyone have any ideas what we can do with them. Is it correct you canít transfer the points out into any hotel partners?

I know there is not enough to book a hotel outright. Any suggestions welcome.
Old Sep 22, 19, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be aware that all SQ miles expire several years after they were earned, with no extensions even if there's other activity in the account.

Is it possible to either purchase or transfer in enough miles (from hotel or credit card programs) to use them for something, perhaps a short flight within Asia on SQ?

Other *A flights can generally be credited to SQ, although discounted coach fares won't earn much.
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Don't know much about transferring SQ miles to hotel partners, but there's a few short SQ flights that can be redeemed for less than 10k miles. Also could redeem on short/medium length AS flights.

If you can get balance up to 12.5k, there are more options available (e.g. *A flights within Europe or US, some VA flights within Australia, more destinations in Asia on SQ). All one-way, economy.
Old Sep 22, 19, 7:29 pm

Programs: Qatar, SQ, Garuda
You can:
1. Get a one-way ticket for London - Frankfurt / Munich at 12,500 KF Miles / Person. It might not be operated by SQ, but by other Star Alliance member.

Not a very good rate IMHO
2. Transfer KF Miles to Shangrilla GC (12 KF to 1 GC Award POints, IMHO very bad conversion rate)
3. You can use your points to book hotel at Krisflyervroom (You might need to mix Cash and KF Miles, don't think 10,000 Miles i enough for most Hotels in Europe)
Old Sep 22, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
If they've only just been earned, then maybe waiting is not such a bad idea (noting 3 year hard expiry), as there may be other opportunities to earn to top up (eg via hotels, car hire) and also time to see what VS's plans for FlyBe are, as if they come under VS branding, that might open up possibilities for other intra-Europe awards.
Old Sep 22, 19, 9:36 pm

Programs: Alaska
Krisflyer miles can also redeem VS flight, but I have no idea of availability or the mile requirement.
Old Sep 22, 19, 9:54 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Instead of redeeming in KF miles outright, you can also pay for a SQ ticket partially in cash and partially in KF miles (using up all of your miles in the process).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Thanks for the info looks like Iíll sit on them for a while

Search this Thread