FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   J and Y combo - Lounge access in SIN? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1988126-j-y-combo-lounge-access-sin.html)

mkannuri Sep 20, 2019 10:22 am

J and Y combo - Lounge access in SIN?

Hi Folks,
i have an itinerary where all the flights are in J except one leg in Y. ie., DPS-SIN in J, SIN-HKG in Y, HKG-ZRH-YYZ are in J again.

The question, i have long layover in SIN and wondering would they allow me to stay in the SQ lounge despite though SIN-HKG is Y ??

Basically My OJ outbound leg starts from MNL-HKG-ZRH-YUL-YYZ on Jan 1st week where as i am planning to drop MNL and leave from DPS (OJ)-SIN-HKG and connect the ZRH-YUL-YYZ

as DPS-MNL cash price around $170PP which $521 and by changing the itinerary will cost $345 +/- taxes depends on airlines ?

still i can win, but in dilemma because the new route DPS-SIN (J) but SIN-HKG in Y which might not allow me to stay in SQ lounge which will incur additional cost for staying in hotel outside

appreciate any insights

mapleg Sep 20, 2019 10:46 am

If SIN-HKG is in Y and you do not have Star Alliance Gold then no lounge admittance in SIN.

MSPeconomist Sep 20, 2019 10:54 am

I'm confused. You can't just "drop MNL." If you no show for a segment, the entire remaining ticket will be cancelled. I also don't see why the price of DPS-MNL should matter as it's not on your current ticket, nor would you be flying through MNL on the new ticket.

Note also that not all airlines interline with AC, so you can't necessarily add a cheap segment from SIN.

mkannuri Sep 20, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 31545621)
If SIN-HKG is in Y and you do not have Star Alliance Gold then no lounge admittance in SIN.

Thank you and any idea about SQ releasing the J seats few days before ? Last time i got BR released few days before the departure (T-4 i guess) but not sure about SQ though..

mkannuri Sep 20, 2019 11:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31545646)
I'm confused. You can't just "drop MNL." If you no show for a segment, the entire remaining ticket will be cancelled. I also don't see why the price of DPS-MNL should matter as it's not on your current ticket, nor would you be flying through MNL on the new ticket.

Note also that not all airlines interline with AC, so you can't necessarily add a cheap segment from SIN.

sorry if my post is not clear. I have an open jaw between PER and MNL. I am planning to book PER-SYD, SYD-DPS cash fares, my current OJ outbound starts from MNL-HKG-ZRH-YUL-YYZ. so instead of buying DPS-MNL cash fare to connect my outbound OJ leg, I am thinking of paying AP change fee and modify outbound leg as below.
DPS-SIN(J)-HKG(Y), then connect to the current HKG-ZRH-YUL-YYZ.

As there are no J seats in SIN-HKG, i am doing cost analysis buying cash fare from DPS-MNL and continue on my existing reservation or pay $115PP and change the itinerary with one leg in Y which will not allow me to stay in loung over night.

MSPeconomist Sep 20, 2019 11:13 am

There are decent airside transit hotels in SIN that aren't too expensive. That would be more comfortable than spending the night in a lounge.

SIN also has some designated sleeping areas with loungers, although they tend to be fully occupied. I know there's one on the mezzanine level near a bunch of fast food restaurants, some of which seem to stay open all night.

Check the sleeping in airports website for details.

mkannuri Sep 20, 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31545711)
There are decent airside transit hotels in SIN that aren't too expensive. That would be more comfortable than spending the night in a lounge.

SIN also has some designated sleeping areas with loungers, although they tend to be fully occupied. I know there's one on the mezzanine level near a bunch of fast food restaurants, some of which seem to stay open all night.

Check the sleeping in airports website for details.

thank you for the advise, i have transited thru SIN before but i did thier free tour and slept in the loung and showered and took the next flight with comfort.

this time also i wanna do it but unfortunately i am not finding any SIN-HKG leg in J and with family of 3. Its already costing more than i anticipated by connecting Open jaw which was not planned actually but lack of PER-SIN-MNL availability, i have choosen to purhcase cash prices PER-SYD-DPS-MNL.

I thought of using AVIOS but again roadblock due to non availability being holidays season.

Well, i might pull the trigger during the weekend with itinerary change and hope to find the SIN-HKG J seats available close to my departure so that i can upgrade it for free.

mapleg Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by mkannuri (Post 31545650)
Thank you and any idea about SQ releasing the J seats few days before ? Last time i got BR released few days before the departure (T-4 i guess) but not sure about SQ though..

No idea. Sorry

dr_torch Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by mkannuri (Post 31545741)
this time also i wanna do it but unfortunately i am not finding any SIN-HKG leg in J and with family of 3.

Just to get this straight - you want to sleep in the lounge with your family of 3?

I guess I have never been in the lounge in SIN - but I would take a cheap hotel over sleeping in any MLL overnight :)

mkannuri Sep 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch (Post 31545963)
Just to get this straight - you want to sleep in the lounge with your family of 3?

I guess I have never been in the lounge in SIN - but I would take a cheap hotel over sleeping in any MLL overnight :)

I slept in the past as SQ lounge is pretty good, they have long couches in the back which is quite and staff provide pillow and blankets to sleep as well.

having a layover around 6 to 8 hours in the night is always advisable to stay put in the airport lounge instead of going out of airport to sleep in hotel whether its cheap or expensive. Just wake up an hour before your next flight and freshen up and board the flight.

having said that, if i dont have all the 3 J seats then dont wanted to change the itinerary and pay the change fee.

kaffir76 Sep 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mkannuri (Post 31545694)
sorry if my post is not clear. I have an open jaw between PER and MNL. I am planning to book PER-SYD, SYD-DPS cash fares, my current OJ outbound starts from MNL-HKG-ZRH-YUL-YYZ. so instead of buying DPS-MNL cash fare to connect my outbound OJ leg, I am thinking of paying AP change fee and modify outbound leg as below.
DPS-SIN(J)-HKG(Y), then connect to the current HKG-ZRH-YUL-YYZ.
As there are no J seats in SIN-HKG, i am doing cost analysis buying cash fare from DPS-MNL and continue on my existing reservation or pay $115PP and change the itinerary with one leg in Y which will not allow me to stay in lounge over night.

Sheesh - so many questions & uncertainties, I don't even know where to begin but I'll try -

(p/s how is this an AC board question when all I see being mentioned is SQ / SIN / SKL)

Firstly, What is heck is "OJ outbound leg"? Orange juice?
I won't even begin to address the complicated routing & dropping MNL & switching to DPS?
Why did you book it then?
you are either overthinking things now when it's too late to make changes or you ddn't think or plan enough while you were booking the mutli carrier, multi city itinerary.

No access to SKL business class lounge @ SIN as your itin. is not ticketed on 1 PNR - & no access to the KF Gold lounge if you do not hold *G status
So you need a shower & a place to lie down?
You can pay to access the PP lounge (Priority Pass or Plaza Premium @ T1) though there are no proper sleeping pods/area as far as I know - Plaza Premium has massage chairs in the back if you do wish to lie down

Originally Posted by mkannuri (Post 31545998)
I slept in the past as SQ lounge is pretty good, they have long couches in the back which is quite and staff provide pillow and blankets to sleep as well.
having a layover around 6 to 8 hours in the night is always advisable to stay put in the airport lounge instead of going out of airport to sleep in hotel whether its cheap or expensive.
Just wake up an hour before your next flight and freshen up and board the flight.
having said that, if i dont have all the 3 J seats then don't wanted to change the itinerary and pay the change fee.

What time will you be arriving into SIN & what time is your flight to HKG?
SQ 890 or SQ 868?
Yes they do but I hope you are not laying down on the couches during the morning & late night peak hours - you would get woken up if you were, and no less by someone like me.
It's fine to lay down on the couches during the late morning & afternoon hours when it is relatively quiet in the lounge ...

Finally, I don't know if these are award tickets or cash fares in J class but save yourself the headache & hassle, just pay the change fee or book a transit hotel or the Crowne Plaza @ T3 & be done with it - if travel were to be this problematic, I wouldn't do it!

(CX J/F VN-US mistake fares - I'm looking at you guys) :confused:

+1 :p

beep88 Sep 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Some paid or Priority Pass lounges have reclining lounge chairs for sleeping (like those found in massage places in Shenzhen China for people to sleep).

There is also the free movie theatre.

Transit Hotels are cheap, as the rates are for 6 hours.

tcook052 Sep 20, 2019 5:19 pm

As the main question centers around SQ lounge access in SIN, this thread has been relocated to the SQ forum as that's the more suitable venue in which to debate that topic.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

eponymous_coward Sep 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Wait, you’re buying business class airfare for your family of 3 but you don’t want to pay for a transit hotel room on a long layover, so you want to use a lounge instead?

I’d pay for the transit hotel room and quit worrying about needing business class for short intra-Asia flights. And it’s the departing flight that counts for lounge access in *A.

sbs2716g Sep 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Seem like TS have a Aeroplan or star alliance award ticket ? From MNL to YYZ? He wan to change the award ticket from MNL to DPS-SIN-HKG-ZUR-YYZ I think.

But for SQ or star alliance ticket book under SQ definitely you can’t change like this. You have to cancel n rebook the whole segment since the start point is difference. But not so sure for star alliance ticket book under Aeroplan.

Maybe TS is only checking the availability of DPS-SIN-HKG. But guess it won’t work this way right ?