SIN - Crown Plaza vs. Airside "hotel" ?

Old Sep 13, 19, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
SIN - Crown Plaza vs. Airside "hotel" ?

Several people here have recommended the Crown Plaza just outside Changi airport, given that our goal for an overnight connection is to *SLEEP*. (As mentioned elsewhere, we've got a 19 hour flight, and a 10 hour flight the next morning... and 2 years ago, on a 14 hour flight, I was a total mess and *needed* almost 36 hours of sleep to recover. DH was fine, but also happy to sleep the same hours...)

I was looking at the airside "hotel", and the photos actually looked quite nice, albeit slightly spartan.
It would be *so* much easier just to get to "the closest place" so I could just lie down asap.
DH presumably could bring back food from someplace within the airport?
And then we can both go back to sleep.

It didn't look at all like some "cubby hole" crash pad.
Does anyone know if the rooms are *clean*?
Clean room/clean bathroom/clean sheets... that's what we want, with minimum time lost going back and forth from the airport.
We usually prefer hotels closer to the "luxe" side of things, but for this particular overnight, the priorities are quite different.
If there is food/drink (not alcoholic) available nearby for DH to carry out, then we do not need "room service" (although if we were at a hotel that had it, this is a time when we'd use it!)

We'll be connecting between two SQ flights, both of us in J, in case that matters at all.

NOTE: At least this time we know to expect this serious jet lag; last time, I thought something [else] was seriously wrong, and that maybe I needed to "go home immediately". Fortunately, we had the best vacation of our lives, and I was very happy that I planned a couple of extra days upon arrival "just in case", although we thought that "maybe we'd sleep in that first morning" - ha! And I'll also try to sleep most of that long first flight this time, rather than trying to "enjoy the experience"...

For "just sleeping", any reason not to just stay airside, and already be right there to head to the gate for an early departure in the morning?

Thanks!

GC
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Not much time lost going to and from Crowne Plaza, it is right next to terminal 3 (near B gate immigration on arrival).

Even hotels in the city aren't far away.
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the SIN airport transit hotels are fine. They're quiet, very clean and modern, although the en suite bathroom reminds me more of a hospital than a spa (lots of simple white tile) and only has a shower (plus toilet and sink with mirror, and lots of space, but no bathtub in the regular rooms) and you won't find a sofa or comfortable overstuffed armchairs in the rooms. However, you will get a reasonably comfortable bed, adequate towels, basic hotel toiletries (soap, shampoo, shower cap, IIRC wrapped disposable plastic glasses, bottled water, and a kettle with tea bags and instant coffee). Lighting and internet are good, and there's a desk with a flatscreen TV on the wall (CNN/BBC/channel news Asia in English IIRC). The more attractive (ask, but it seems to be luck of the draw as it's the same room category) rooms have a window. I spent one night in what must have been the T3 transit hotel with a SQ A380 parked right outside my window, which was fun and I think I've also stayed in T1. Be sure to check which of T1/2/3 your flights use and perhaps more importantly the renovation status of the transit hotels (avoid rooms with shared facilities down the hall). It's nice to stay in the airport and have time to enjoy the butterfly garden, restaurants, etc. when you're not sleeping, or even the big heated indoor pool if their opening hours are convenient for you. Also, the price is right for the transit hotel.

The CP is landside and doesn't seem to be walkable from the terminals even through it's right at the airport. It's expensive at about three or four times the price of the transit hotel for a reasonable overnight stay.....and SIN really doesn't have other airport hotels that are close/convenient/reasonable.
Chang11 and RTWFF like this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The CP is landside and doesn't seem to be walkable from the terminals even through it's right at the airport. It's expensive at about three or four times the price of the transit hotel for a reasonable overnight stay.....and SIN really doesn't have other airport hotels that are close/convenient/reasonable.
There are at least 2 entrances to Crowne Plaza directly from T3 landside, which you can easily get to from other terminals using the skytrain or the tunnel from T2 (granted T4 also requires a bus transfer).

There is also a transit hotel option landside
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
I stayed at the CP and was very disappointed by the noise levels. I would have thought an airport hotel would have had much better sound-proofing.

So, next time I tried the in-terminal transit hotel. I found it very quiet. It is very minimal, but it's clean with a nice bed and a shower which is all I wanted.
glennaa11 and RTWFF like this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
There's also the Yotel inside The Jewel now..
Old Sep 13, 19, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
If the OP decides to stay here I would be interested to hear what they think.

Other reviews on line (such as TripAdvisor) have been pretty good so far.
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
IME the SIN airport transit hotels are fine. They're quiet, very clean and modern, although the en suite bathroom reminds me more of a hospital than a spa (lots of simple white tile) and only has a shower (plus toilet and sink with mirror, and lots of space, but no bathtub in the regular rooms) and you won't find a sofa or comfortable overstuffed armchairs in the rooms. However, you will get a reasonably comfortable bed, adequate towels, basic hotel toiletries (soap, shampoo, shower cap, IIRC wrapped disposable plastic glasses, bottled water, and a kettle with tea bags and instant coffee). Lighting and internet are good, and there's a desk with a flatscreen TV on the wall (CNN/BBC/channel news Asia in English IIRC). The more attractive (ask, but it seems to be luck of the draw as it's the same room category) rooms have a window. I spent one night in what must have been the T3 transit hotel with a SQ A380 parked right outside my window, which was fun and I think I've also stayed in T1. Be sure to check which of T1/2/3 your flights use and perhaps more importantly the renovation status of the transit hotels (avoid rooms with shared facilities down the hall). It's nice to stay in the airport and have time to enjoy the butterfly garden, restaurants, etc. when you're not sleeping, or even the big heated indoor pool if their opening hours are convenient for you. Also, the price is right for the transit hotel.

Thanks very much. You seem to "get it", and have captured some key issues, so it is very much appreciated.
Yes, this is a slightly weird situation, especially given that price really isn't a key issue here, given the choices being discussed. It's the convenience and chance to get to sleep *fast*, and to sleep as long as possible until the moring flight.

Now, on the very off chance that I slept for 17 of the 19 hours (ha!), and we decide we want to go dancing downtown (not something we'd ordinarily do no matter what, these days), we can always leave and catch a taxi for a quick evening tour, right? (I mean, this is an airside hotel, and not a jail...) This would be a huge surprise, and of course, quite a nice one, but we put the probability as close to zero as one might see for something that isn't actually totally impossible.

It sounds like DH might enjoy wandering around if he doesn't collapse also. He hadn't thought he was tired last time, but he slept the same hours I did. It was all very strange, and as I mentioned elsewhere, we'll see soon if a travel clinic physician has anything to suggest. In the past, he focused on vaccinations and extra meds to keep with us.
And YES, if he suggests any sleeping aids for the flight (or any new meds at all), we'll try them at home first!

About the terminals, etc.: We'll be arriving on that non-stop from EWR, and leaving the next morning on the flight to AKL (all on SQ).
Can the terminals (or even gates) be predicted? This would be mid/late November, in about 2 months.
Does this affect which of the airside hotels we should use? (Is there more than one?)

And I assume that DH will be able to find some sort of simple food to bring back to our room?

Thank you all.
Flyer Talk is quite a resource!

GC
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
If the OP decides to stay here I would be interested to hear what they think.

Other reviews on line (such as TripAdvisor) have been pretty good so far.
The Yotel is landside or airside?
Are the rooms somewhat similar to the <sorry - forgot the name of the airside place I had looked at - sort of like a simple Travelodge/Holiday Inn, from the photo>.

And (sorry)... "The Jewel" would be... ??
Is that where that waterfall is?

Thanks!

GC
Old Sep 13, 19, 11:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SQ flights use T2 and T3, where T3 is the newer and nicer of the terminals, but AFAIK there are no guarantees of gate assignments. However, you could watch the gates being used on flightaware or flight status on the SQ website to get some idea of the usual patterns.

You're not at all locked into the airport, although I think if you leave early you'd be charged for the minimal time of four hours at the airside transit hotels. This is likely to be in the US$50-100 range, with additional hours probably around US$10, although I haven't checked prices recently. Since you're departing on SQ, you can check in if needed and enter the airport up to 48 hours before your flight's scheduled departure. [If you were flying one of the USA legacy carriers, the time would be approximately 3 hours, even with a boarding pass, as you must wait for the check in counters to open in order to answer some security questions before you can go through passport control, even though connecting/transit passengers are asked the security questions at the gate at SIN.]

BTW, the transit hotels are popular and you should reserve ASAP on the website, linked from the SIN airport website. IIRC reservations are changeable/cancellable without penalty, but without an advanced booking you're likely to have to go to a different terminal and wait to get a room, which wouldn't be fun after a long flight. You'll be asked for your flight details when you make the booking, so there's no problem if your inbound flight is delayed.

The transit hotels are very acceptable places to sleep and shower, not fancy four or five star hotels, and surprisingly decent values. There are some thoughtful touches too: for example, I remember finding a couple cookies with the tea and coffee supplies, and I think there must have been a hair dryer in the bathroom, although I didn't use it so I'm not sure.
Old Sep 14, 19, 12:00 am
Original Poster

SQ flights use T2 and T3, where T3 is the newer and nicer of the terminals, but AFAIK there are no guarantees of gate assignments. However, you could watch the gates being used on flightaware or flight status on the SQ website to get some idea of the usual patterns.

You're not at all locked into the airport, although I think if you leave early you'd be charged for the minimal time of four hours at the airside transit hotels. This is likely to be in the US$50-100 range, with additional hours probably around US$10, although I haven't checked prices recently. Since you're departing on SQ, you can check in if needed and enter the airport up to 48 hours before your flight's scheduled departure. [If you were flying one of the USA legacy carriers, the time would be approximately 3 hours, even with a boarding pass, as you must wait for the check in counters to open in order to answer some security questions before you can go through passport control, even though connecting/transit passengers are asked the security questions at the gate at SIN.]

BTW, the transit hotels are popular and you should reserve ASAP on the website, linked from the SIN airport website. IIRC reservations are changeable/cancellable without penalty, but without an advanced booking you're likely to have to go to a different terminal and wait to get a room, which wouldn't be fun after a long flight. You'll be asked for your flight details when you make the booking, so there's no problem if your inbound flight is delayed.

The transit hotels are very acceptable places to sleep and shower, not fancy four or five star hotels, and surprisingly decent values. There are some thoughtful touches too: for example, I remember finding a couple cookies with the tea and coffee supplies, and I think there must have been a hair dryer in the bathroom, although I didn't use it so I'm not sure.
Thanks again.

What I meant about "leaving" was "for a few hours in the evening", if I'm not passed out cold, although I think it very unlikely. It would also probably be unwise, given that we have another long flight the next morning and thus do not have the possibility of "just sleeping straight through", etc.

I had checked the reservations/price already, and it seemed very reasonable for the hours I put in, although I'm not sure that I linked to it via the airport website. Yeah, we wouldn't want to risk "just showing up" and finding no availability or having to wait. Needing to wait would obviate the point of choosing the airside location in the first place rather than going further for a hotel/bed.
Now I need to watch to see which terminal is likely to be the right one...

It does sound like it will be very much what we are looking for. Good to know.

Thanks again, again.

GC
Old Sep 14, 19, 12:07 am

You could also spend some time happily exploring SIN airport if you're feeling awake and alert, although if you haven't spend much time in Singapore, going into the city would be more interesting. I'd make sure to tell the front desk so that they don't get confused and assume that you checked out.
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The airside hotels have perfectly acceptable 3-4 star quality rooms. But the hotels themselves have limited facilities so you would probably rate them 3 star overall.

There are literally dozens of food and beverage places (and bars) in Singapore airport. No trouble hopping out for a bite to eat at one of those. Or you can go to the Singapore Airlines lounge and eat/drink there.

The airport hotel in T1 also has a pool which is kinda cool and a refreshing way to unwind.

The airside hotel will likely be the most convenient - no immigration or security and easy to get to. Plus, if you wake up at 2am you're still going to be able to get food and beverage in the lounge etc.
MSPeconomist and Happy like this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
You haven't mentioned the length of your stay in SIN. If your transit time is less than 10 hours, I would stay in the transit hotel.
It is a little too cramped for my liking unless it is just for a quick sleep.
If over 10 hours between flights, and up to about 15 hours, I would stay at the Crown Plaza.
Anything over 15 hours I would go into town,
DiamondMile, 24left, Happy and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 7:06 am

Also, I wouldn't expect to be able to leave carry-on bags in the airside transit hotel if you are feeling physically able to venture downtown.

Search this Thread