Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

What Happens to YQ During Involuntary Award Changes?

Old Sep 11, 19, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I have the following scenario.

I booked IAH-ORD-MUC on UA metal using SQ miles. Due to changes in itinerary, I am misconnecting in ORD.

I called SQ to fix the ticket issue, but the only other award inventory available in ORD-MUC in LH metal.

SQ now wants to charge an additional $500 USD in YQ. Are they correct in reassessing these fees even though the change was involuntary?

Thank you
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:49 pm

Programs: A3*S, LH, SQ, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Marriot Silver
LH charges (outrageous) YQ that SQ is passing on to you. Sucks? Well yes, but KF as a program only applies no YQ for their own flights or where the partner carrier in question doesn't charge it.

So either you can find another option that does not involve LH, LX, OS or the likes then you'll have to pay up.

Maybe if more flexible on dates check other days. I would secure the LH Itin for now and stay on the look out if a better (less or no YQ) option comes along. Of course for a *A award using KF this means cancel (fee) and rebook IIRC. Not ideal. YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue View Post
LH charges (outrageous) YQ that SQ is passing on to you. Sucks? Well yes, but KF as a program only applies no YQ for their own flights or where the partner carrier in question doesn't charge it.

So either you can find another option that does not involve LH, LX, OS or the likes then you'll have to pay up.

Maybe if more flexible on dates check other days. I would secure the LH Itin for now and stay on the look out if a better (less or no YQ) option comes along. Of course for a *A award using KF this means cancel (fee) and rebook IIRC. Not ideal. YMMV.
My reservation was ticketed months ago on UA metal. I am only seeking changes because of the schedule change. This is very different than someone trying to book LH metal up front.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by coltonatx View Post
My reservation was ticketed months ago on UA metal. I am only seeking changes because of the schedule change. This is very different than someone trying to book LH metal up front.
If you want better outcome, you should ask UA since UA changes its flight. But I doubt UA cares.

KF can only rebook what KF sees. It is of no fault of KF that UA changes its flight.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So, in the department of "It feels wrong so legally it must be correct" (a handy guideline for Bar Exam questions):

UA really should be willing to move the ticket around in line with how they'd handle a paid ticket misconnect. However, given SQ's touchy relationship with the rest of *A (e.g. their effective refusal to release premium cabin space to partners) I can see them being less-than-willing on that front. I agree that OP should contact UA.

That being said, has OP looked at changing the IAH-ORD leg instead of ORD-MUC? Domestic space might be easier to come by (even if you end up having to do something stupid in terms of connecting).
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that UA changed its schedule and that it is not the day of travel, it falls to the ticketing carrier to locate a reroute or refund the ticket. It sounds to me as though OP may have asked SQ for a change rather than sought a reroute in IRROPS. It is worth another call.

However, it may be easier to ask SQ to rebook onto the nonstop IAH-MUC or via EWR. If there is no award space, SQ can have one of its liaison agents request that UA open the space. It is not a guarantee, but it is worth the ask. Takes several days.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:49 pm

Yes, I understand that and the answer remains the same whether that's what feels right to you or not. You have no recourse against KF to ask them to absorb the YQ. Even under these circumstances. UA changed the flights, KF can only reroute you where they have access to inventory.

While "a liason agent" from KF could reach out to UA and try to seek help for your case, honestly I haven't seen that happening once in 18+ years with KF program. Especially not between SQ & UA, they are not so fond of one another.

You can ask them to look for another option on UA even via other gateways, not ORD, that incurs little to no YQ and there should be no change / reissue fee of course.

However, if there is nothing they will not be able to offer you anything but LH or a refund.

You want a better routing, do your own research and offer options to the KF agent that suit you that have award seats available. Given you are flying from IAH, why don't you ask them for routing IAH-MAN on SQ and then MAN-MUC on LH?

Yes there will still be YQ on MAN-MUC, but much less than for the long-haul segment on LH. SQ charges no YQ and they can send a request to their own Revenue Mgmt to open an award seat on SQ metal if needed though no guarantees. You won't know till you try.

Last edited by demue; Sep 12, 19 at 9:05 pm
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
You might also consider looking at B6 IAH-JFK and SQ JFK-FRA. Yes, you'll still have to go FRA-MUC by another means (train) if you want to avoid LH, but it *is* an option.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by demue View Post
Yes, I understand that and the answer remains the same whether that's what feels right to you or not. You have no recourse against KF to ask them to absorb the YQ. Even under these circumstances. UA changed the flights, KF can only reroute you where they have access to inventory.

While "a liason agent" from KF could reach out to UA and try to seek help for your case, honestly I haven't seen that happening once in 18+ years with KF program. Especially not between SQ & UA, they are not so fond of one another.

You can ask them to look for another option on UA even via other gateways, not ORD, that incurs little to no YQ and there should be no change / reissue fee of course.

However, if there is nothing they will not be able to offer you anything but LH or a refund.

You want a better routing, do your own research and offer options to the KF agent that suit you that have award seats available. Given you are flying from IAH, why don't you ask them for routing IAH-MAN on SQ and then MAN-MUC on LH?

Yes there will still be YQ on MAN-MUC, but much less than for the long-haul segment on LH. SQ charges no YQ and they can send a request to their own Revenue Mgmt to open an award seat on SQ metal if needed though no guarantees. You won't know till you try.
Doesn't SQ have different award charts for LH vs SQ? So in your way of thinking they should also ask OP for more miles?
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by nick5000 View Post
Doesn't SQ have different award charts for LH vs SQ? So in your way of thinking they should also ask OP for more miles?
The OP has a KF *A Award already and even if he changes to SQ IAH-MAN and then MAN-MUC on LH it remains a *A redemption at same mileage levels due to the LH segment.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Are they correct in reassessing these fees even though the change was involuntary?
No, as this will be a DOT violation.
Old Sep 25, 19, 2:04 am

Give the DOT argument a try and see how far you get. OP still wants to travel this Itin I assume. It will be super hard to accomplish this over the phone even with escalations and all. Agents will have zero clue.
Old Sep 25, 19, 4:38 pm

There seems to be an easy solution to this. Request for IAH-MAN on SQ metal, and connect with LH MAN-MUC. Since it's SQ's own flights, the agent should be able to get revenue management to open up award space for you. You might have to HUCA though. I'm surprised no one has suggested this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 9:48 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by currentjer View Post
There seems to be an easy solution to this. Request for IAH-MAN on SQ metal, and connect with LH MAN-MUC. Since it's SQ's own flights, the agent should be able to get revenue management to open up award space for you. You might have to HUCA though. I'm surprised no one has suggested this.
Yeah this is exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the OP. Push them into doing that for sure. Best way to travel from IAH-MUC if not going direct.
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by currentjer View Post
Correct and exactly what I advised the OP two weeks ago in above post.

Search this Thread