FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Strategy for LAX->NRT->SIN 1st class Saver seat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1986853-strategy-lax-nrt-sin-1st-class-saver-seat.html)

abfonsy Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am

Strategy for LAX->NRT->SIN 1st class Saver seat

My fiance are planning our honeymoon to Singapore/Thailand for next July 2020. We were able to buy one ticket in 1st class at the Saver redemption of 130,000 miles on the SQ11 itinerary that stops only briefly at NRT before continuing onto SIN. We also put ourselves on the waitlist for the other seat at the Saver rate. I have called to put in a couple of chasers, which the SQ employee on the phone seemed receptive to putting in. We also registered for Saver seat waitlist for the Suites route on multiple days in case one of those routes came available. I have come off the waitlist twice now in the last month for the Suites route since registering for them, but only for the SQ11 737 part that is from LAX->NRT (not the NRT->SIN leg with the actual Suites Airbus). We have enough miles to book the Advantage route on the SQ11 straight through flight at 220,000 miles but it would be obviously better to save the 90,000 miles and put that towards our flight home. I have no status with SQ but I am 1K with United.

My questions are:
1) If I book an Advantage seat for 1st class on points, will that automatically remove my waitlist request/spot for the Saver seat on the same SQ11 flight on the same day that I made a month ago? I know if you book the Advantage seat first that you cannot get a Saver waitlist spot for the same ticket class (at least from what I've read), but I wasn't sure if it was the same way if you get on the waitlist first.

2) Does anyone have any experience with getting off the Saver waitlist for the SQ11 1st class seats? I am debating on whether to keep calling in chases over the coming months and waiting it out vs buying the Advantage seat now. As of now, my fiance's seat is the only one purchased out of the 4 on the flight. Obviously we'd like to sit next to each other in seats C and D so I don't want to lost the neighboring seat, but I also figure most people who are single would prefer to take the window seat. If I can keep my waitlist Saver spot after buying an Advantage ticket, then buying the Advantage now is a no-brainer but would depend on keeping my waitlist spot.

3) Has anyone ever been taken off the waitlist for the Saver Suites tickets between NRT and SIN? One SQ employee said she's never seen the new Suites tickets go at the Saver rate even off the waitlist on any route but that sounded extreme.

Thank you for your help!

sbs2716g Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

Are u flexible with the departure date? For first class usually need to be more flexible with the departure date. There are 2 days in July with 2 savers seats available.

As for the waitlist question not so sure about that , but guess the waitlist won’t be cancelled.

Right Now they won’t really entertain any chasers as it is still long way n they are hoping to sell as revenue seats instead.

As for the tokyo new suites, there are many lucky one who book in the old suites n get lucky when the aircraft changed few month back. But same for other routes with new suites, SQ will tend to release only advantage award initially. (There might be some date with saver waitlist, but usually they will just release as advantage award). If the demand is low as the flight date get nearer, then they might clear the saver waitlist.

abfonsy Sep 11, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g (Post 31514285)
Are u flexible with the departure date? For first class usually need to be more flexible with the departure date. There are 2 days in July with 2 savers seats available.

As for the waitlist question not so sure about that , but guess the waitlist won’t be cancelled.

Right Now they won’t really entertain any chasers as it is still long way n they are hoping to sell as revenue seats instead.

As for the tokyo new suites, there are many lucky one who book in the old suites n get lucky when the aircraft changed few month back. But same for other routes with new suites, SQ will tend to release only advantage award initially. (There might be some date with saver waitlist, but usually they will just release as advantage award). If the demand is low as the flight date get nearer, then they might clear the saver waitlist.

Yes we are fairly flexible. We have itineraries booked over the 11-14th (that;s as flexible as we can get with a move, work, etc). It seemed that the SQ11 flight was always available for 1 ticket at the Saver rate in the month of July 2020 pretty much every day when we checked at 355 days out each day. But there were never two for SQ11 and never any for the one with Suites. When you say there 2 days in July with 2 Saver seats available, what do you mean?

I agree, I didn't think chasers would help much now but the SQ employees offered to place them so figured why not. I guess I'm confused as to why I would be getting off the Saver waitlist for some of the other flights this far out (albeit only for the SQ11 leg) if there usually isn't much activity until closer to the day. None of the flights appear to have any seats booked out of the 4 first class seats on ExpertFlyer so maybe that's why?

sbs2716g Sep 11, 2019 7:15 pm

There are 2 dates with 2 saver seats on SQ11. Check your PM.

The availability seem to change very fast. Checked 7 hours n lot of dates with 1 saver seat but now all gone.