FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Star Alliance Gold Benefits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1985042-star-alliance-gold-benefits.html)

kaushik123 Aug 29, 2019 7:09 am

Star Alliance Gold Benefits

Hi All

I am booked to travel on SQ Premium eco on SFO-SIN-SFO. I have MVP Gold 75k with AS and just got approved for a status match to Star Alliance gold with UA. I was wondering if there is a way for me to get the *A Gold airport/lounge benefits while crediting the actual flight miles to Alaska? Given that I won't physically have a Star Alliance gold card with me, would SQ accept a digital copy of my UA status to allow me the airport benefits?

Unionruler Aug 29, 2019 7:20 am

Originally Posted by kaushik123 (Post 31469571)
Hi All

I am booked to travel on SQ Premium eco on SFO-SIN-SFO. I have MVP Gold 75k with AS and just got approved for a status match to Star Alliance gold with UA. I was wondering if there is a way for me to get the *A Gold airport/lounge benefits while crediting the actual flight miles to Alaska? Given that I won't physically have a Star Alliance gold card with me, would SQ accept a digital copy of my UA status to allow me the airport benefits?

In your shoes, I would put the UA number on first because lounge dragons could want to see the UA number on the BP in lieu of a physical card, and then ask the gate agent to delete or replace the FFP number.

fone Aug 29, 2019 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Unionruler (Post 31469617)
In your shoes, I would put the UA number on first because lounge dragons could want to see the UA number on the BP in lieu of a physical card, and then ask the gate agent to delete or replace the FFP number.

Personally, I've had issues with this. Checked in with A3 number as required the free checked bag, proceeded to lounge etc. Got transfer desk at SIN to change the FFP number (to UA, as I have sufficient for A3 *G) and got a new boarding pass, boarded with the new boarding pass. In the end, still credited to the original FFP, which is A3.

To OP: I'd try to reason with lounge dragon that *G gets lounge access when on *A carrier, nothing says I have to credit to that *G FFP to get lounge access.
Then again, YMMV, try at your own risk.

Unionruler Aug 29, 2019 9:13 am

Originally Posted by fone (Post 31469978)
Personally, I've had issues with this. Checked in with A3 number as required the free checked bag, proceeded to lounge etc. Got transfer desk at SIN to change the FFP number (to UA, as I have sufficient for A3 *G) and got a new boarding pass, boarded with the new boarding pass. In the end, still credited to the original FFP, which is A3.

When the boarding pass matches up to the FFP you want to credit to, you have a reasonably strong case for retro-crediting. I normally opt for deletion and a blank FFP field on boarding pass, which is IMO even safer unless the first FFP is that of the operating carrier.

fone Aug 29, 2019 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Unionruler (Post 31470027)
When the boarding pass matches up to the FFP you want to credit to, you have a reasonably strong case for retro-crediting. I normally opt for deletion and a blank FFP field on boarding pass, which is IMO even safer unless the first FFP is that of the operating carrier.

True, IIRC, took me quite long to get it un-credited and re-credited correctly.

demue Aug 29, 2019 8:10 pm

It may be better not to attach any FFP to the booking and get a plain BP without loyalty number. Then go to lounge and show BP plus UA Digital Card. If the lounge dragons are as lazy as usual, they note down the UA MP# for the lounge charge, but not bother to redo your BP. Later you get AS added at gate or do retro claim after flights. YMMV

RTWFF Aug 30, 2019 8:57 pm

I'd have to say my experience is not the same as other posters. I always accrue on KF but as an MP Gold that's what I show to check-in in the priority line and to gain lounge access. It caused conniptions only once, in Bangkok, but that appeared to be the inexperience of the staff about how to record the visit, not to deny access

Notyourbag Aug 31, 2019 8:15 am

I credit to OZ when chasing *G for only 40,000 miles but showed my UA *G digital card (will expire and of this year) to get lounge access. Never had a problem apart from a NZ overly helpful lounge attendant who printed a new boarding pass with my UA number on it!