FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Award miles with stopover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1983710-award-miles-stopover.html)

invisible Aug 20, 2019 1:50 am

Award miles with stopover

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had recent positive outcome booking SQ award flight with stopover as it is outlined in Stopover Trick article?

I want to book IST-SIN-(2 month stopover)-CCU in Economy. According to SQ Award Chart Turkey is in Zone 10, India is in Zone 6. One way award miles required are 35000. Yet, when I call and explain exactly what I want - "no I do not want two one ways, I want IST-SIN-CCU with stopover and yes, I know that it will require US $100 fee" to SQ agents they are quoting me miles according to two one ways and their answer is 'this is what system gives to me'.

I've asked to speak with manager and I got 'manager will tell you the same' answer (SIC!).

I've spent three hours today on this.

lokijuh Aug 20, 2019 2:19 am

Try booking IST-SIN-CCU in one hit online, it will tell you backtracking. The chart indicates this can be the case (quote below). The distance is almost double (1.97x) the direct distance between IST and CCU. Remember the IST zone also includes JNB, and JNB-SIN-India bookings almost certainly would not be considered backtracking.

Interestingly IST-SIN-CMB does come up. It is only 1.82x IST-CMB. Does this mean the magical number that separates backtracking and non-backtracking itineraries on the SQ table is somewhere between 82 and 97% of great circle distance?

Zonal combination includes certain backtracking routes to which the reference fare will not apply. To confirm the exact mileage required, contact KrisFlyer Membership Services.

invisible Aug 20, 2019 8:44 am

Reality is that difference in miles is 7500 which costs USD $100. If it would be higher amount of miles, I would for sure try to get this booked via stopover option, but with 7500 miles I do not think it worth the effort.

lesocw Aug 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 31434960)
Hello everyone,

Has anyone had recent positive outcome booking SQ award flight with stopover as it is outlined in Stopover Trick article?

I want to book IST-SIN-(2 month stopover)-CCU in Economy. According to SQ Award Chart Turkey is in Zone 10, India is in Zone 6. One way award miles required are 35000. Yet, when I call and explain exactly what I want - "no I do not want two one ways, I want IST-SIN-CCU with stopover and yes, I know that it will require US $100 fee" to SQ agents they are quoting me miles according to two one ways and their answer is 'this is what system gives to me'.

I've asked to speak with manager and I got 'manager will tell you the same' answer (SIC!).

I've spent three hours today on this.

always try a dummy award booking one way first to check if its backtrackking