SQ Blocking row 40-42 single seats on A350?

Old Aug 19, 19, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat
SQ Blocking row 40-42 single seats on A350?

I'm looking at flights on SQ 6 months from now or more and it seems that the LAX-SIN seats are being blocked. I've checked numerous dates, even from SFO and all of those single seats are either completely blocked or they have one or two selected and the rest are blocked. Is there a specific reason for this? If you book, can you call up and select those seats? Generally checking on EP, but also went through the booking process on SQ. Seems the same for the return trips, no matter what dates you select.
Old Aug 19, 19, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21 View Post
I'm looking at flights on SQ 6 months from now or more and it seems that the LAX-SIN seats are being blocked. I've checked numerous dates, even from SFO and all of those single seats are either completely blocked or they have one or two selected and the rest are blocked. Is there a specific reason for this? If you book, can you call up and select those seats? Generally checking on EP, but also went through the booking process on SQ. Seems the same for the return trips, no matter what dates you select.
Those seats are probably blocked for PPS holders.
Old Aug 20, 19, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mlee888 View Post

Those seats are probably blocked for PPS holders.
It seems to be something new, at least since I last looked (6 months ago). I looked previously and saw plenty of those seats open, both on EP and on sq.com...so just seems like they started blocking recently. Definitely could be for PPS holders. Thank you.
Old Aug 23, 19, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21 View Post
It seems to be something new, at least since I last looked (6 months ago). I looked previously and saw plenty of those seats open, both on EP and on sq.com...so just seems like they started blocking recently. Definitely could be for PPS holders. Thank you.
Would a PPS be willing to fly PEY on a 15+ hours flight?
The PEY cost saving over J does not account for the back pain that one has to endure after a 30+ hours discomfort...
I would totally slummed it in Y instead.

It's already hard selling and filling those seats - based on cheap PEY pricing.
Blocking them to attract their targeted price conscious consumers (not PPS on status run) is not a good idea.

Last edited by terbangalways; Aug 23, 19 at 9:56 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: CX GR, SQ TPPS, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
The SQ ULR planes do not have Y. Although possible to take Y on other routes / airlines.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:53 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
Would a PPS be willing to fly PEY on a 15+ hours flight?
The PEY cost saving over J does not account for the back pain that one has to endure after a 30+ hours discomfort...

It's already hard selling and filling those seats - based on cheap PEY pricing.
Blocking them to attract their targeted price conscious consumers (not PPS on status run) is not a good idea.
PPS members simply do not do status runs in economy or premium economy, period. Unless they are doing it to accrue status with another carrier!

It is worth noting that many PPS passengers do fly cabins other than the J/F cabins. Many fly for work in business class, but for leisure, when they are paying themselves, in Y or Y+, often with families in tow, so it is understandable why SQ might reserve premium seats for purchase or PPS members. I've done SIN-LAX in premium economy, and no back pain at all. Often it's not much more $$$ than economy on the single stop via NRT, and usually cheaper than the single or non-stops to SFO in economy. Although I have noticed the price is now quite a bit higher than launch prices.
Old Aug 24, 19, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by bpk6h View Post
The SQ ULR planes do not have Y. Although possible to take Y on other routes / airlines.
I was referring to PEY to US in general. Like 32 to SFO that offers Y.

Last edited by terbangalways; Aug 24, 19 at 3:43 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
PPS members simply do not do status runs in economy or premium economy, period. Unless they are doing it to accrue status with another carrier!.
Well... I mean $25K status run in F/J not Y. Accruing RDM maybe. But another status, for example LH HON, is another league/topic of its own.
PEY - by definition is still Y+ish - should be aimed for budget conscious economy traveller.
Old Aug 25, 19, 2:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
I wonder why SQ did not choose to treat these seats like bulkhead seats for which a premium can be paid on selection (they can still be offered free to PPS). I have flown 4 ULR nonstop sectors (to EWR and LAX) since April and have booked early to ensure I get these single seat rows each time. Except for row 42, which is too close to the aft galley/lav complex, these are really fantastic seats which I would be happy to pay extra for. Pity.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
PPS members simply do not do status runs in economy or premium economy, period. Unless they are doing it to accrue status with another carrier!

It is worth noting that many PPS passengers do fly cabins other than the J/F cabins. Many fly for work in business class, but for leisure, when they are paying themselves, in Y or Y+, often with families in tow, so it is understandable why SQ might reserve premium seats for purchase or PPS members. I've done SIN-LAX in premium economy, and no back pain at all. Often it's not much more $$$ than economy on the single stop via NRT, and usually cheaper than the single or non-stops to SFO in economy. Although I have noticed the price is now quite a bit higher than launch prices.
It is worth to note that some PPS-Club Members are also flying Y or PEY on business trips, just for the record. For budget reasons. Or sometimes just because J is fully booked on that very day.
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:32 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SQ325 View Post
It is worth to note that some PPS-Club Members are also flying Y or PEY on business trips, just for the record. For budget reasons. Or sometimes just because J is fully booked on that very day.
Yes to manage budgets from time to time on long haul, or in line with company travel policies where must travel Y to destinations less than X hours (with X varying by company, the three Iíve worked for have had X = 5, 6 and 8 hours.)
SQ325 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:09 am

This move won't attract U.S.-based solo travelers. Quite the opposite.

Search this Thread