Backtracking on Award Redemptions

Old Aug 16, 19, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Backtracking on Award Redemptions

I've got a question. LAX-SIN-SYD appears to be fine. But LAX-SIN-AKL generates an error message about backtracking not being allowed.

Any thoughts here?
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:11 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
LAX-SIN-SYD is ~1.7x LAX-SYD whilst LAX-SIN-AKL is ~2.15 x LAX-AKL, what defines backtracking for SQ itineraries must be somewhere in between.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: none
I'm new to this point and miles thing. I'm trying to book a one-way route back from Maldives to San Francisco, with a stopover in Ho Chi Minh. Does anyone know if this is considered a backtracking route? I'm having a difficult time determining which route is acceptable and which route isn't. Thank you for any info you can give me!
Old Aug 16, 19, 7:08 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by hieunha View Post
I'm new to this point and miles thing. I'm trying to book a one-way route back from Maldives to San Francisco, with a stopover in Ho Chi Minh. Does anyone know if this is considered a backtracking route? I'm having a difficult time determining which route is acceptable and which route isn't. Thank you for any info you can give me!
Since SQ doesn't fly Ho Chi Minh to Hong Kong, where you would connect with SQ2, you would have to fly Maldives-Ho Ch Minh- Singapore-SFO. I think that would be backtracking as you'd be flying east from Maldives to Ho Chi Minh, then west back to Singapore, then east again to SFO.
Old Aug 16, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve View Post
Since SQ doesn't fly Ho Chi Minh to Hong Kong, where you would connect with SQ2, you would have to fly Maldives-Ho Ch Minh- Singapore-SFO. I think that would be backtracking as you'd be flying east from Maldives to Ho Chi Minh, then west back to Singapore, then east again to SFO.
Depending on overall distance traveled, east-west-east *might* not be considered backtracking (likely would) However, flying back on the same route on the same one way journey (SIN-SGN-SIN) most certainly is.
Old Aug 16, 19, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

If it's considered backtracking, you could always book MLE-SIN-SFO and give yourself a stopover in SIN (for however long you need to be in HCM). Then just book a cheap RT flight to HCM on one of the discount airlines offering service.
Tokyoite likes this.

Search this Thread