Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Any work around for searching "backtracking" award bookings - silly SQ website

Old Jul 22, 19, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

So the problem I have is that SQ doesn't let me search for *A awards on SOME of the routes that would be considered backtracking for SQ and was wondering if there is a workaround for this.

I can search for BOM - MEA - and get *A only options with the SQ/MI selection button greyed out.

However if I search for BOM - Europe I get the error - "The Origin and Destination you have selected constitutes a backtrack routing on Singapore Airlines/SilkAir. Backtracking is not permitted except as required by routing restrictions. Backtracking occures when a journey does not occur in the same direction as that in which it was begun." An absurd error when they should be showing me *A options for this as well (not to mention know how to spell occurs).

Does anyone know any way around this other than calling in?
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:19 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
None that i have found and it's a bit of a pain. If just looking for *A i just search on united's website then call sq to book. if you need sq seats then no workaround other than to call unfortunately
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
So the problem I have is that SQ doesn't let me search for *A awards on SOME of the routes that would be considered backtracking for SQ and was wondering if there is a workaround for this.

I can search for BOM - MEA - and get *A only options with the SQ/MI selection button greyed out.

However if I search for BOM - Europe I get the error - "The Origin and Destination you have selected constitutes a backtrack routing on Singapore Airlines/SilkAir. Backtracking is not permitted except as required by routing restrictions. Backtracking occures when a journey does not occur in the same direction as that in which it was begun." An absurd error when they should be showing me *A options for this as well (not to mention know how to spell occurs).

Does anyone know any way around this other than calling in?
Specific to BOM - Middle East/ North Africa, iirc this is not in the KF SQ/MI award chart and if you really want it, it will price as 2 awards. SQ expects you to fly TK/LH/LX and will only sell you a *A award. However if you are willing to reposition to somewhere served only by AI domestically and SQ/MI internationally (e.g. CCU), you can try your luck asking the call center agents to sell you CCU-SIN-IST/FRA-destination with last segment on TK/LH as a single *A award.
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
However if you are willing to reposition to somewhere served only by AI domestically and SQ/MI internationally (e.g. CCU), you can try your luck asking the call center agents to sell you CCU-SIN-IST/FRA-destination with last segment on TK/LH as a single *A award.

Thatís not at all correct. Iíve booked BOM - Europe awards on *A a few times by calling in.

I wanted to be able to plan things better if I could check availability via the website.

Also SQ has *A awards for IND - MEA and IND - Europe. So even if they donít have SQ/MI awards it shouldnít matter in this case.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Thatís not at all correct. Iíve booked BOM - Europe awards on *A a few times by calling in.

I wanted to be able to plan things better if I could check availability via the website.

Also SQ has *A awards for IND - MEA and IND - Europe. So even if they donít have SQ/MI awards it shouldnít matter in this case.
I think you misread my post, in fact I said the opposite...SQ expects you to book BOM-Europe on *A.

SQ has *A award for India - Europe, but on the SQ/MI only award chart you will see that no rate is quoted. So you definitely cannot fly BOM-SIN-FRA on all SQ metal and terminate there without it pricing as two awards. If you try to book BOM-SIN-FRA-xx the call center agents will tell you it is backtracking so they'll ask you to fly a non-backtracking routing and price it as a *A award.

I assumed you wanted to fly SQ metal through SIN from India, and thus my response that you may have luck flying from a city in India that is poorly served internationally by *A carriers, but has a SQ/MI link to SIN.

Search this Thread