Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade availability opening up later?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Upgrade availability opening up later?

I am looking to upgrade a PE seat to J for SQ2 from HKG to SFO in August. But it is stating that there is no seat available when I tried to do it. However, on Expertflyer.com, I can see that the J cabin is about 1/2 full only, do you know if availability may open up as we draw closer to the day of the flight? And does the 3 weeks window for award flight applicable to upgrade award?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
First of all, check your PE is eligible for upgrade. Fare bucket L, P, S or T. If you booked Premium Economy Lite (fare bucket R) you can't upgrade.

If you're eligible then I would keep checking every few weeks, though sometimes SQ decide to fly with the J cabin half empty (maybe saving on staff costs?). If there's not even the opportunity to waitlist at Advantage, you might be out of luck.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by llngoc
I am looking to upgrade a PE seat to J for SQ2 from HKG to SFO in August. But it is stating that there is no seat available when I tried to do it. However, on Expertflyer.com, I can see that the J cabin is about 1/2 full only, do you know if availability may open up as we draw closer to the day of the flight? And does the 3 weeks window for award flight applicable to upgrade award?
What's the evidence from EF that the business class cabin is only half full? EF only shows fare class availability, which maxes out at 9 (or less for some carriers) and is not additive. Seat maps are a very unreliable indicator of availability for several reasons.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.

This must be it. I only checked the seat map. When I checked the availability, there is only J4. This is probably why... (As you can see, I am still a newbie at this)

BTW, it is a T fare.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the evidence from EF that the business class cabin is only half full? EF only shows fare class availability, which maxes out at 9 (or less for some carriers) and is not additive. Seat maps are a very unreliable indicator of availability for several reasons.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:16 am

SQ Availability in Business only shows a max of 4 (even if there are many more seats available)

Just have to keep checking, some seats may open nearer the time. But even if the flight is not sold out in Business, SQ is happy to let flights not go out full. So no guarantees!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901
SQ Availability in Business only shows a max of 4 (even if there are many more seats available)

Just have to keep checking, some seats may open nearer the time. But even if the flight is not sold out in Business, SQ is happy to let flights not go out full. So no guarantees!
not true. It show max as 9. If PE is full n there are space in business, then SQ might open up space.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your feedbacks. PE is full as of now. My dilemma is that I will be transferring credit points for the upgrade and it takes a couple of days to do so and I do not want to transfer unless there is availability.

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

not true. It show max as 9. If PE is full n there are space in business, then SQ might open up space.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by sammyg901
SQ Availability in Business only shows a max of 4 (even if there are many more seats available
Shows up to 9, if you do not specify SQ under the airline(s) field when doing the search
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets

Shows up to 9, if you do not specify SQ under the airline(s) field when doing the search
Thanks! Always something new to learn !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.