Help/ideas appreciated

Old Jul 8, 19, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Help/ideas appreciated

Hi guys,

I've got a rather uncommon situation or ask for your help.
I am flying this wednesday from Europe to PEN (via SIN with SQ). Now when transiting through SIN I have a little bit less than 2hrs.
Well I need to take something (gifts/special candy) from our Singapore office to PEN. But from the past I know/understand that I can not "do immigration" (when only transiting), get the parel from "landside" and get back in again.
Also the time is a bit tight. Is there any idea from you how I could get hold of the gifts while still being airside ? I have already asked SQ if someone could check something in for me or if they could have it "delivered" to me, but got a firm "no".
I would have tried to do immigration and get back in, but had a "withdrawel experience" when I did that several years ago. So that seems not to be an option.
Any idea/help is highly appreciated.

Best regards
TheAirman
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ship it to PEN? If you time things perfect you could certainly meet someone outside, but if you hit any snags, it could cause a flight misconnect.
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:52 am

would you mind to share your passport nationality

if you have visa or you are visa free to enter singapore you can simply clear immigration and walk out get your stuffs and simply enter air side through immigration again
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:56 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by TheAirman View Post
But from the past I know/understand that I can not "do immigration" (when only transiting), get the parel from "landside" and get back in again.
Yes you absolutely can if you have the right type of passport/visa/onward BP. As long as you're not running from gate to gate because your arriving flight is delayed you can easily do this in SIN.
Old Jul 8, 19, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lesocw View Post
would you mind to share your passport nationality

if you have visa or you are visa free to enter singapore you can simply clear immigration and walk out get your stuffs and simply enter air side through immigration again
I have a German passport. But had the experience, that I already had the stamp in my passport and it got retracted/cancelled when the immigration officer understood I was only transiting (for 6hrs or so) and would go to the city.
So I am now unsure.
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:14 am

I have a German passport. But had the experience, that I already had the stamp in my passport and it got retracted/cancelled when the immigration officer understood I was only transiting (for 6hrs or so) and would go to the city.
So I am now unsure.
do not think it is an issue? Just tell the immigration officer that you are meeting a friend at the cafe outside if they ask or wan to see the jewel waterfall..
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 8, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Super easy. I do this all the time. My parents live in SIN and when I fly SQ to/from PER and CGK, I will meet them for coffee landside and come back in 30-45 mins later. Never had an issue
Old Jul 9, 19, 8:10 am

I've never done that, but it should not be an issue as many have mentioned here. The "cancelled" probably just means departed on same day, or transiting but still clearing immigration. Nothing wrong with that. Even SQ is advertising a transit tour with a transit of 5.5 hours or more, surely 6 hours is fine. Also, I believe not all airlines have transfer desk airside, it would be perfectly legal for those connecting on different or budget airlines to clear immigration, collect their luggage and check in landside then go back airside within a few hours for the connecting flight.

If you are really unsure, you can always check with the immigration officer before the process you.
Old Jul 9, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, LH SEN, CZ G, QR G, CX G, BA EC, HH D, MR S, SPG G, IC A
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Yes you absolutely can if you have the right type of passport/visa/onward BP. As long as you're not running from gate to gate because your arriving flight is delayed you can easily do this in SIN.
Yes, easy if you have at least four hours between your flights. Less than four hours, expect to have to convince the immigration officer you know what you're doing.
Old Jul 9, 19, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post

do not think it is an issue? Just tell the immigration officer that you are meeting a friend at the cafe outside if they ask or wan to see the jewel waterfall..
This. I think opening of the Jewel makes it easier to justify going landside for an hour or two.

That aside, I am sure lots of people do it for short periods of time - travelling on different tickets and (dis)"connecting" at SIN. Means going through immigration, collecting bags, exiting then going back upstairs to recheck on a different carrier and then back through immigration again. Could be done with as little as 10 mins inside Singapore (SIN does offer rechecking services at transit counters, but many wouldn't know that).
Old Jul 12, 19, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Ok guys, quick update: it worked, but I had to show my ongoing boarding pass at immigration.
The cancelled stamp last time was really a cancelled stamp meaning. I was at the immigration officer, he was basically finished with my passport (had already stamped it) and the realized I was only transiting. He then took another stamp and cancelled my "entry stamp" and sent me back - I was not allowed to enter Singapore, due to only been on transit.
Old Jul 12, 19, 3:49 am

Thanks for the update. I don't think there is a way to know why your entry stamp was cancelled the previous time, as 6 hours is more than sufficient to grab a meal in town and get back in. Or even grab a meal land-side, then go back air-side. The officer probably got it wrong, or understood wrong that you are on a transit or would not like to enter Singapore.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Of course you are allowed to enter Singapore during transit (if you do not require a visa, or you have the right visa). There are even Changi airport-endorsed free tours for longer transits, although it's not for 2 hours - it requires 5.5 hours minimum between flights:

Free Singapore Tour | Changi Airport Singapore
Old Jul 13, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I was at the immigration officer, he was basically finished with my passport (had already stamped it) and the realized I was only transiting. He then took another stamp and cancelled my "entry stamp" and sent me back - I was not allowed to enter Singapore, due to only been on transit.
How did he "realise you were only transiting"?
Old Jul 14, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Good for you OP.

However I’m still not understanding why they would cancel your last entry. Generally SIN very actively encourages you visit while you’re transiting - either by yourself or through their tours. I’ve always shown my onward BP which was a few hours away and got to visit the city.

Search this Thread