Expiring Miles & Redepositing Question

Old Jul 1, 19, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Expiring Miles & Redepositing Question

I have some SQ miles expiring in September, so I'm going to book some flights for next year's travel. If I were to cancel the awards and redeposit my miles next year, would I get my miles back or would they automatically expire? If I would get them back, what would be their new expiration date?

Thank you guys for your help!!
Old Jul 1, 19, 8:33 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
They follow their original expiration date, so cannot be redeposited.
Old Jul 4, 19, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

really? can someone else confirm if this is true? anyone have any data points on this?
Old Jul 4, 19, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jcnkc View Post
really? can someone else confirm if this is true? anyone have any data points on this?
it is confirmed. Or else everyone will be exploring this loop hole.
Old Jul 4, 19, 10:31 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by jcnkc View Post
What datapoints would it take to convince you? You can search this forum for starters, you're not the only person who's ever asked.
Old Jul 4, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Section I (13) of T&C:

KrisFlyer miles of completely unused award tickets may be redeposited for a fee provided the KrisFlyer miles and the ticket are valid at the time of redepositing. Any taxes will be refunded. KrisFlyer miles cannot be refunded for partially used award tickets and upgrades.
If miles would not have been valid when you cancel then you won’t get them back. Time and date changes are fine though, within validity of ticket.
Old Jul 5, 19, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys for confirming.
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
If miles would not have been valid when you cancel then you won’t get them back. Time and date changes are fine though, within validity of ticket.
So can I book a ticket with miles expiring tomorrow, and then do a date change in the future when I know I'll be able to travel on that route (of course within the year)?
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:07 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by i_gtgo View Post
So can I book a ticket with miles expiring tomorrow, and then do a date change in the future when I know I'll be able to travel on that route (of course within the year)?
Yes, of course with a change fee. But basically if you redeem tomorrow you can book seats far out as late July next year, and ticket will be valid for another year after date of first travel on that ticket (which would allow you to move as late as July 2021, subject to availability and for a fee of course)
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:25 pm

Yes, of course with a change fee. But basically if you redeem tomorrow you can book seats far out as late July next year, and ticket will be valid for another year after date of first travel on that ticket (which would allow you to move as late as July 2021, subject to availability and for a fee of course)
Wow! That's amazing. Thank you
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, SPG & Hyatt Diamond

A follow-up question. Is it possible to change award type and change destination region when my award was booked with expiring miles?

Currently I have a F saver award booked with travel in September 2019 (booked in last week of June 2019 right before they were about to expire) from LAX-NRT-SIN-MNL. I want to change it to a star alliance award with new routing as JFK-FRA-SIN-MNL-ROR with the last leg from MNL-ROR on united. Am I allowed to change this without losing my miles (presumably by changing the award type)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by puding; Aug 4, 19 at 9:07 am
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by puding View Post
A follow-up question. Is it possible to change award type and change destination region when my award was booked with expiring miles?

Currently I have a F saver award booked with travel in September 2019 (booked in last week of June 2019 right before they were about to expire) from LAX-NRT-SIN-MNL. I want to change it to a star alliance award with new routing as JFK-FRA-SIN-MNL-ROR with the last leg from MNL-ROR on united. Am I allowed to change this without losing my miles (presumably by changing the award type)?

Thanks in advance.
in this case your miles will be forfeited as SQ need to cancel the award n reissue a new one.
Also not sure MNL to ROR is backtracking and whether there will be availability in JFK-MNL n MNL-ROR
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:26 pm

Programs: A3*S, LH, SQ, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Marriot Silver
No. That is a cancellation and new booking and you will loose the expired miles. Even if you don't change from KF award to *A award, you cannot change the routing as again it will require a reissue and you loose your expired miles. Just buy your MNL -ROR separately.
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post

in this case your miles will be forfeited as SQ need to cancel the award n reissue a new one.
Also not sure MNL to ROR is backtracking and whether there will be availability in JFK-MNL n MNL-ROR
Thanks. Appreciate the help
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by demue View Post
No. That is a cancellation and new booking and you will loose the expired miles. Even if you don't change from KF award to *A award, you cannot change the routing as again it will require a reissue and you loose your expired miles. Just buy your MNL -ROR separately.
Thanks. Appreciate the help. Will buy a separate ticket for MNL-ROR as suggested.

Search this Thread