Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The world's most OVERRATED airline - Singapore Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/TravelersChoice-Airlines

Being able to be the world's best airline annually in all surveys comes with certain expectations. But does SQ live up to it?

I just find it strange and is puzzled/curious and want to know how SQ can be the world's best airline in all surveys annually without all the extras that "WOW" the passengers:

1. The lounges are not fantastic, mediocre at best. Do not even have a sleeping bed, no free Spa and massage.

2. No soup, amenity kit or pajamas even in long-haul Business Class.

3. No mother of pearl spoon when serve caviar in First Class. In fact, crew does not know what is a mother of pearl spoon. Caviar only limited to lunch & dinner in First Class, other airlines have it even for supper.

4. No chauffeur to & from airport.

5. No choice of hot or cold towels served on a towel plate like many airlines like ANA, Qatar Airways, Garuda Indonesia, EVA Air.

6. No baggage stand for First & Business Class passengers' baggage at the carousel like Garuda Indonesia.

7. No arrivals lounge in SIN like Qatar Airways, British Airways, Etihad Airways, ANA.

8. Their A380s do not even have a lounge area, bar, self service area with snacks.

9. SQ's Business Class does not have wine-tasting service like on Qatar Airways, ANA, EVA Air and Garuda Indonesia.

10. No Dine-on-demand service in Business Class like Qatar & Etihad Airways. (just added this)

The best part is the cabin crew does not know what is a mother of pearl spoon!!!!!!!!

Even Garuda Indonesia First Class is so much better in the presentation, with an onboard chef, see the way their caviar is served:
https://www.topmiles.com/blog/articl...-japan-for--76

Garuda Indonesia First Class Tokyo-Narita to Bali:

You don't need to fly on all these airlines to know all these....just google n youtube!!

Business Class on Qatar Airways, ANA, EVA Air and Garuda Indonesia offers wine-tasting service when you order white or red wine like in First Class. First they bring the bottle to you to see, after that pour out a bit to taste and after that pour the rest. The interesting thing is, no matter how many times you order the red/white wine, they will keep on repeating the steps with a smile. I'm serious.

On the "world's best" airline, only SQ's First Class have this service. In Business Class they pour out in the galley and serve you the glass.

Something is very wrong with the system. Only the new seats designed by SQ is good and SQ is convenient and direct to SIN, saves time. Service is just above average at most. Not polished at all. I suspect it's because SQ has a HUGE group of DIE HARD loyalty supporters. Even though at the back of their mind they know that SQ is not the best airline in the world, they will still vote for SQ.

I would like to hear views from readers.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by vsepr; Aug 28, 2019 at 9:29 pm
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:51 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
How amusing. The weakest part of SQ's product, for me, is the B777-300ER Business Class seat & the lack of dine on demand & these are not even mentioned. The other points raised are things I couldn't give much of a hoot about
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:12 pm

You have already posted this at another forum n now you want more opinions ?
moondog, RTWFF, HMPS and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
You have already posted this at another forum n now you want more opinions ?
Because I want your input, sbs2716g.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
How amusing. The weakest part of SQ's product, for me, is the B777-300ER Business Class seat & the lack of dine on demand & these are not even mentioned. The other points raised are things I couldn't give much of a hoot about
Oh yes!! Dine-on-demand for Business Class. SQ First Class has dine-one-demand.
But don't you prefer the hot towels to be served on towel plate rather than hold the hot towels?
Don't you want your Business Class baggage to be at a separate stand at the carousel, already there waiting for you instead of waiting together with the rest of the passengers?
THANKS!!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by vsepr
The best part is the cabin crew
I agreed with this bit, but that was about it.
lokijuh and Strawb like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Perhaps best to avoid SQ then and fly one of the carriers you have mentioned. Or even better, fly on a private jet.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:34 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Oh yes!! Dine-on-demand for Business Class. SQ First Class has dine-one-demand.
But don't you prefer the hot towels to be served on towel plate rather than hold the hot towels?
Don't you want your Business Class baggage to be at a separate stand at the carousel, already there waiting for you instead of waiting together with the rest of the passengers?
THANKS!!
Couldn't give a XXXX about those things, no
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Googles 'Mother of Pearl Spoon'. Yup, it's exactly what I thought it was. A spoon made of Mother of Pearl. Got to say i'm utterly baffled now. I'm not a big caviar fan so wouldn't pay attention.

Does it actually improve the taste of the stuff, or is it purely an image thing?
moondog and stmaus like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Googles 'Mother of Pearl Spoon'. Yup, it's exactly what I thought it was. A spoon made of Mother of Pearl. Got to say i'm utterly baffled now. I'm not a big caviar fan so wouldn't pay attention.

Does it actually improve the taste of the stuff, or is it purely an image thing?
Using metal spoon will affect the taste of caviar. Only mother of pearl spoon will not.
Sam Bee and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Perhaps best to avoid SQ then and fly one of the carriers you have mentioned. Or even better, fly on a private jet.
The idea of this thread is to discuss if SQ deserves to be the best airline in the world annually and lives up to its name. Not to avoid SQ. SQ is good if you want to avoid transits to SIN.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Using metal spoon will affect the taste of caviar. Only mother of pearl spoon will not.
I know people claim that metal spoons change the way caviar tastes, but I'm pretty sceptical. Caviar is stored and sold in metal tins. However, even if using a metal spoon affects the taste of caviar, a mother-of-pearl spoon isn't your only option. A wooden spoon will do, so your second claim is just not true.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
I will play along...

Just flew 2 segments on GA biz class last month and I am GA plat but not by choice.

No offer of hot or warm towels in both segments.

Their 'premium' arrival baggage service is having you wait in a sitting area and someone will take your luggage tag and wait at the baggage carousel for you. Not sure about you but I value my time. SQ in CGK T3 now has someone timing the first bag out to last bag, whereas I could wait 40 mins for GA to send my bags out. I will save the extra 30 seconds for the person to bring my luggage to me and pick it up myself.

And speaking of lounges, you cannot possibly tell me in a straight face that GA lounges in CGK and DPS are better than SQ lounges in SIN.
shuuy likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Wasn't Qatar voted as best Airline just recently? There you have your answer
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
The idea of this thread is to discuss if SQ deserves to be the best airline in the world annually and lives up to its name. Not to avoid SQ. SQ is good if you want to avoid transits to SIN.
Or maybe the second best airline in the world.

What SQ is trying to, and always tried to do meet the expectations of most of its customers, within constraints of trying to offer a reasonable network and still be profitable. With a lot of things, SQ seems to draw a line under, and tries to make up for it through in flight service. They have definitely ruled out, and trained their customers not to expect, "gimmicks" such as chauffeur drive (which some of the airlines who offer - or have offered - this service are cutting back on), amenities kit (instead having well stocked bath room), and pyjamas in business class. One assumes they understand the value (or lack of value) in providing different amenities.

Also remember, being in the top tier, isn't just about the premium cabins. Carriers that provide a decent economy experience (for example, not refitting 777's with 10 across seating) will move to the top of a lot of lists, as economy pax tend to outnumber premium cabin lists.

Each of us places value on different things, for example the "business/first stands" I am sure a lot of people couldn't care less (or could care less, depending on which part of the world you're from) about. Probably most relevant where there are long queues for immigration and luggage needs to be removed from carousel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.