FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Need help with waitlisting (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1975586-need-help-waitlisting.html)

Culvetr Jun 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Need help with waitlisting

Hi,
my wife and I are planning a trip to the Maldives and I need help booking our flights with SingaporeAir. We will have a Singapore-Maldives flight that we want to redeem AmEx rewards transferred to krisflyer for. The return trip we need is available, but the departure shows waitlist as the only option for the early silk flight. There is a later Singapore flight that is available but it gets in so late that we would lose a night at our resort. How likely is the early flight to clear if we waitlist? And can I book the later flight while waitlisting for the preferred early flight. I’ll only be transferring enough points to cover flight. Thanks for any help!

shuigao Jun 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Culvetr (Post 31239044)
1. How likely is the early flight to clear if we waitlist?
2. And can I book the later flight while waitlisting for the preferred early flight.

1. I don't think anyone here can give you a decently accurate estimate lol.
2. Yes. Waitlist the earlier flight first, then book the later flight.

SponsorSFC Jun 25, 2019 7:02 pm

I would also look at flying a day early if you can, staying overnight in MLE then going to the resort firt thing in the morning.

We did this in December 2016 flying in on SQ then staying at h78 in MLE which offered a return airport transfer included with the room.

pokfur Jun 25, 2019 7:19 pm

Yes you can reserve the later SQ flight, and in fact you can do all of this online.

When making the booking, just select the waitlisted SilkAir flight first, then also select the later SQ flight on the same page. You’ll see that both options will be selected. Then go on to select your return flight. Then proceed to waitlist.

You will see the status of the non-waitlisted flights as “reserved”. Your miles won’t be deducted yet. Soon you will receive an email/sms/Whatsapp notification of a ticketing deadline (the time you have to deduct your miles and an actual ticket is issued). Assuming the SilkAir flight waitlist hasn’t clear yet, you’ll have to call in to SQ to ask for the ticketing deadline to be extended, and also ask for them to push for the waitlist to clear.

As for the likelihood of it clearing... I’d say that it might be rather low for SilkAir, since there are only 12 seats in business class. But it’s really hard to say for sure. On the bright side, at least you have a backup SQ flight. Alternatively, if economy on SilkAir is available, you can also do the above steps, then call in, quote the booking ref, and ask them to also reserve Economy for you.

Good luck!

Culvetr Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm

Thanks for the help! We were able to get all of our preferred segments confirmed in business by following the advice here.
The forum was super helpful as this was our first time dealing with Singapore and the waitlisting process. Transferred the Amex MR points and got tickets issued. Thanks again