Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jewel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Jewel

(ops, please move thread if it does not belong here. Thank you)

Hi,
Anyone been to the Jewel at Changi Airport? Something about highest indoor waterfalls in the world?
I've been reading about it. Seems its not accessible for transit passengers ie have to clear immigration to enter.

Im flying KIX - BDO via SIN. I have about 4 hours in transit but very early the morning.
Will it be open? Worth going?
Thoughts, comments, or should I delete this thread?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:52 am

Meanwhile, talk about the 'Jewel' at Changi Airport

go to this thread. It is open 24/7 but then some shops might close after midnight.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
How early morning is your early morning? 4 hours transit should be allow a quick visit to Jewel, but without details on your arrival time and day, it's hard to accurately advice you on which eateries or shops may be opened.

only A couple of eateries in basement 3 opens 24 hours including the famous Alley bubble Tea. Shake Shack closes at 10pm and they stop accepting new queues at 930pm. Too many to list, but yes pls advice us ur specific flight details so we can curate some suggestions for you.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
II wouldn’t worry about whether the shops are open or not - they’re just shops. The highlight is seeing the indoor waterfall and taking in the views of the waterfall and the indoor rainforest. Is nice to just sit there and watch/chill.

You will have plenty of time to enter Singapore and come back. I think you will have to exit immigration at the terminal you arrive in - and there’s a bit of a walk from T2 and T3 to the jewel - but you should be able to re-enter via T1 immigration - which is much closer to the Jewel and catch the skytrain back to T2.

If unsure, what you can do is stay airside and take the sky train from the B gate end of T3 to the E gates end of T2 as you will pass by the waterfall and then decide if you want to exit immigration for a closer look.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
II wouldn’t worry about whether the shops are open or not - they’re just shops. The highlight is seeing the indoor waterfall and taking in the views of the waterfall and the indoor rainforest. Is nice to just sit there and watch/chill.
Please note that the waterfall does has its own operating hours. I landed at about 7am, took the skytrain from T2 to T3 through the Jewel and the waterfall was not turned on yet.
OP can also try the skytrain from T2 to T3 and vice versa to have a sneak peak of the Jewel (I believe this has its operating hours as well?)
ps107 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by fone
Please note that the waterfall does has its own operating hours. I landed at about 7am, took the skytrain from T2 to T3 through the Jewel and the waterfall was not turned on yet.
OP can also try the skytrain from T2 to T3 and vice versa to have a sneak peak of the Jewel (I believe this has its operating hours as well?)

OK, I didn’t realise that. Looks like it only opens at 8am , so OP will be out of luck. Presumably they are on flight arriving from KIX at 4:40am and departing again at 8:30am to BDO.

Skytrain operates from 5am, so best to use that to look at rainforest area (without the waterfall operating) and decide if worth going landslide for a closer look.

Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:05 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Got a nice view of Jewel Waterfall yesterday, whilst on the transit train T2-T3 - quite impressive ^
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:23 pm

I want to hijack this thread a little bit by asking a question along the same lines. On a 6am-6pm (12 hours) layover in SIN, flying J, would you recommend leaving the airport and going into the city center? Or should we stay in the airport/lounge hop with AMEX/Priority Pass/Business Class lounges?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
I want to hijack this thread a little bit by asking a question along the same lines. On a 6am-6pm (12 hours) layover in SIN, flying J, would you recommend leaving the airport and going into the city center? Or should we stay in the airport/lounge hop with AMEX/Priority Pass/Business Class lounges?
depend on what u want to do

see below forum for more discussion on place to go/eat/do during layover.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Meanwhile, talk about the 'Jewel' at Changi Airport

go to this thread. It is open 24/7 but then some shops might close after midnight.
Thank you. Will have a look.

OK, I didn’t realise that. Looks like it only opens at 8am , so OP will be out of luck. Presumably they are on flight arriving from KIX at 4:40am and departing again at 8:30am to BDO.

Skytrain operates from 5am, so best to use that to look at rainforest area (without the waterfall operating) and decide if worth going landslide for a closer look.

Correct. Since I'll be landing at 4:40am not sure if I'll be awake enough to find the Jewel. I might end up sleeping somewhere till I get hungry. LoL

You will have plenty of time to enter Singapore and come back. I think you will have to exit immigration at the terminal you arrive in - and there’s a bit of a walk from T2 and T3 to the jewel - but you should be able to re-enter via T1 immigration - which is much closer to the Jewel and catch the skytrain back to T2.

If unsure, what you can do is stay airside and take the sky train from the B gate end of T3 to the E gates end of T2 as you will pass by the waterfall and then decide if you want to exit immigration for a closer look.
Seems like I'll be landing in T2, and my connecting also T2. I might just do as suggested.

Originally Posted by fone
Bummer..
I was so looking forward to seeing the waterfalls.

Originally Posted by NoY
Got a nice view of Jewel Waterfall yesterday, whilst on the transit train T2-T3 - quite impressive ^
Really? Now I really want to see the waterfalls.

Landing at almost 5am, I might as well just sleep in some corner of T2. Closer to boarding time grab early breakfast and connect on to next flight to BDO.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Arrive, register for one of the free city tours, shower/eat (if time), take tour, return and have a look at the Jewel, shower, relax and shop, board flight.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

What's the rule about doing immigration at the terminal where you land? I've had very late arrivals with hand luggage only where I used one of the transit hotels and then proceeded to the most convenient immigration area the next morning. AFAIK it's only an issue if you must claim checked bags to take through customs.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the rule about doing immigration at the terminal where you land? I've had very late arrivals with hand luggage only where I used one of the transit hotels and then proceeded to the most convenient immigration area the next morning. AFAIK it's only an issue if you must claim checked bags to take through customs.
This was my understanding. You only need to enter Singapore through the terminal in which you arrived IF you have luggage you need to claim. Otherwise you can enter anywhere.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This was my understanding. You only need to enter Singapore through the terminal in which you arrived IF you have luggage you need to claim. Otherwise you can enter anywhere.
I always thought that too. One day we landed at B10 with staff herding everyone towards T3 arrivals, but I headed straight for T1. I was challenged by one staff member, and asked if was transiting, no just going to immigration in T1 as only have hand luggage, they then asked if I was PR, (yes), and they said it was fine. I would have thought OK, irrespective of being visitor or resident.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

I always thought that too. One day we landed at B10 with staff herding everyone towards T3 arrivals, but I headed straight for T1. I was challenged by one staff member, and asked if was transiting, no just going to immigration in T1 as only have hand luggage, they then asked if I was PR, (yes), and they said it was fine. I would have thought OK, irrespective of being visitor or resident.
Hmm...
This suggests that the immigration for visitors must be done at the terminal they land.
I did notice the immigration officials had a different air about them depending on where I landed.
At T1, they were more trigger happy to scold lost Chinese tourists, whereas T2 they were more cordial. (my feeling this is. nothing scientific)

On one occasion, while on a 12 hr transit, I wanted to leave the airport (I had multiple entry visa). On the disembarkation card, I wrote 0 days and the immigration asked what my plans were.
After explaining I had to take my client out to Orchard Rd, and Jumbo he suggested I book a cab before having dinner. Seemed like there was a big Buddhist convention at the stadium and taxis might be sparse when I wanted to leave. I thanked the officer but I thought while I was getting asked all these questions, I was going to get stopped and not let out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.