Refurbished A380

Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer
Refurbished A380

Hey everyone. Just saw on the news that the first of 14 early A380s has been refurbished with new cabin interior and is in service. Any ideas which route it’s primarily on? Hoping it’s the JFK route...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:36 pm

It is in Sydney route , then follow by Delhi in August n finally will be on Mumbai route from Sept

it won’t be on JFK route as it need 3 aircraft to run this rotation. So SQ will be facing headache if it put the only refitted aircraft on JFK. Because the number of seats are different. So if SQ deploy on JFK route. Then the pattern will be Monday (new plane) Tuesday/wed (old plane) Thursday (new plane) Friday/sat (old plane), Sunday (new plane), Monday/Tuesday (old plane). Every week everyday different configuration.
So SQ will be creating trouble for themselves. How they are going to sell the seats ? Some days sell 6 first class some day sell 12 first class seats. Same go for the economy seats. (200+ vs 343 seats) ? SQ want consistency n less headache.

Further if SQ put one plane on JFK, then later on pax will also complain why they are getting the old plane instead of the refitted one.

Pls do understand that JFK is a long route n 3 different A380 to run it. JFK will be the last route to get the refitted A380 (until SQ almost refitted all its A380).
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:10 pm
THR

Not quite sure how you missed the entire thread on it: Singapore New Suites Routes...
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
It is in Sydney route , then follow by Delhi in August n finally will be on Mumbai route from Sept

it won’t be on JFK route as it need 3 aircraft to run this rotation. So SQ will be facing headache if it put the only refitted aircraft on JFK. Because the number of seats are different. So if SQ deploy on JFK route. Then the pattern will be Monday (new plane) Tuesday/wed (old plane) Thursday (new plane) Friday/sat (old plane), Sunday (new plane), Monday/Tuesday (old plane). Every week everyday different configuration.
So SQ will be creating trouble for themselves. How they are going to sell the seats ? Some days sell 6 first class some day sell 12 first class seats. Same go for the economy seats. (200+ vs 343 seats) ? SQ want consistency n less headache.

Further if SQ put one plane on JFK, then later on pax will also complain why they are getting the old plane instead of the refitted one.

Pls do understand that JFK is a long route n 3 different A380 to run it. JFK will be the last route to get the refitted A380 (until SQ almost refitted all its A380).
I understand why JFK-FRA-SIN will likely be last route refitted... any ideas if that would happen by Feb 2021

Last edited by Brostman; Jul 3, 2019 at 10:21 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Given the pace of refurbishment, I cannot help but wonder if SQ25/26 will switch to 777X in 2022, and the corresponding retirement of 3 A380 frames without incurring the refurbishment cost.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Unionruler
Given the pace of refurbishment, I cannot help but wonder if SQ25/26 will switch to 777X in 2022, and the corresponding retirement of 3 A380 frames without incurring the refurbishment cost.
Financially that makes sense, and if they did such a move I am guessing it would be a 777-300ER? Just want to consider what the hard product comparison would be between the two planes
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:36 am

Any updates on the refurbs and routes that will be covered? Hoping SIN to PEK might be ready from May 2020?!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Any updates on the refurbs and routes that will be covered? Hoping SIN to PEK might be ready from May 2020?!
Difficult for PEK to get it. Just fly to PVG instead.

The slated route after Tokyo should be CDG.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Difficult for PEK to get it. Just fly to PVG instead.
LOL, I was the sole passenger when I flew to PEK in the old suites last month, I doubt there is any significant demand there.

Also, it is still a 5 hour high speed rail ride from PVG to PEK (not counting to/from airport). I was on a very tight schedule, so did not consider the PVG option.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by fone
LOL, I was the sole passenger when I flew to PEK in the old suites last month, I doubt there is any significant demand there.

Also, it is still a 5 hour high speed rail ride from PVG to PEK (not counting to/from airport). I was on a very tight schedule, so did not consider the PVG option.
True. You can easily redeem suites Award for PEK (and up to 3 seats as well).

For other if they want to try the new suites, then have to fly to PVG instead.

Looking at the situation SQ might not be refitting all the A380. Only version 2 (those with more business class seats) should be guaranteed for refit. Version 1 might or might not get (maybe they will just refit 12 suites to 6 suites instead n not moving them to upper deck)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.