FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Waitlist vs standby processing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1974824-waitlist-vs-standby-processing.html)

krayZpaving Jun 20, 2019 5:27 am

Waitlist vs standby processing

I'm on the waitlist (cash ticket, not award) for SQ21 in a few days (EWR-SIN). Have a confirmed ticket via NRT out of JFK a few hours later in case it doesn't clear. Is it worth going out to EWR on the morning of and seeing if it clears on the day? How does SQ process waitlist vs standby? Appreciate any insights / advice.

(I did search on this but everything I could find is about award waitlists rather than cash fares!)

sbs2716g Jun 20, 2019 7:20 am

I think very very few ppl will do cash waitlist for SQ. Thus don’t think we are able to advise you.

If if you are able to get to EWR, no harm asking at the check in to see whether there is any last minute no show.

pokfur Jun 20, 2019 7:24 am

My experience with cash waitlist is that they always clear, even before I had significant status with SQ. You could do the same with redemption bookings and call in to send chasers.

LIkely before the day arrives you’ll receive the email/sms/Whatsapp notification.

hclee01 Jun 20, 2019 9:25 am

Originally Posted by pokfur (Post 31221989)
My experience with cash waitlist is that they always clear, even before I had significant status with SQ. You could do the same with redemption bookings and call in to send chasers.

LIkely before the day arrives you’ll receive the email/sms/Whatsapp notification.

I guess it depends on the flight load as well. Years back when I was waitlist on commercial ticket on Y class ticket from LHR-SIN, it didn't clear. I had a confirmed ticket on the early flight and prefer to take the later evening flight so that I can do lunch with a friend there. Went to the airport and was told that the chances is only 50-50 and I may not get onto the later plane. In the end, I take the morning flight to SIN.

krayZpaving Jun 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for the advice all

sbs2716g Jun 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Seem like SQ21/22 J class are at least 95% full this two weeks (till end of June) for most of the days.

krayZpaving Jun 23, 2019 9:07 am

In the end, heard nothing and didn't go to EWR (took my alternative flight instead). I did call SQ EWR operations a couple of days before my flight. They said that in principle any no shows would indeed be opened to the waitlist before standby (as long as they know the waitlist person is there - so talk to the checkin desk). However, the last few weeks that flight has been full as sbs2716g says, and they haven't had many no-shows, so even standby / upgrade hasn't been clearing at the gate much.