What is SQ's strategy in creating a hub at DEL?

Old Jun 15, 19, 8:48 am
Original Poster

What is SQ's strategy in creating a hub at DEL?

From having read some of their transcripts from their shareholder meetings, it seems that the outlook with Vistara is very optimistic and SIA has touted as part of their "multi-hub" strategy.

I'm having trouble envisioning what DEL offers as a hub for SQ, given SQ's history as a connecting carrier. Is the intention to connect people again in DEL to capture MENA and North India traffic? I can't think of any other strategic advantage that this would have.
Old Jun 15, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Hub to the extent that it helps UK to aggregate traffic from IND and feed SQ? And SQ to feed some of UKs international routes as those come around.

With 2 SQ SIN-DEL flights a day I doubt it will be anything more than that hub-wise.
Old Jun 15, 19, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Maybe it's to be able to sell SG/US West Coast/Oceania - India secondary and tertiary cities on one ticket for overseas Indians visiting home.

But I would always take whatever is pitched to investors with a pinch of salt. "Multi-hub strategy" is just a buzzword to keep them occupied.
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
Maybe it's to be able to sell SG/US West Coast/Oceania - India secondary and tertiary cities on one ticket for overseas Indians visiting home.

But I would always take whatever is pitched to investors with a pinch of salt. "Multi-hub strategy" is just a buzzword to keep them occupied.
LOL I wouldn't be surprised if they're scratching their heads themselves while nodding emphatically :P

I don't think SIN is a viable feeder for US-India traffic though. There's a lot of backtracking involved especially if North India is the final destination.
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by discoseal View Post
LOL I wouldn't be surprised if they're scratching their heads themselves while nodding emphatically :P

I don't think SIN is a viable feeder for US-India traffic though. There's a lot of backtracking involved especially if North India is the final destination.
Just my impression is that the heyday has past-- 10-15 years ago you'd see lots of Indians on the SFO and YVR flights. Nowadays there are lesser, but I think SQ is still trying to convince itself that the volume is commercially viable.
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:07 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Is it SQ the airline, or the overall company (through its investment) in UK that is trying to establish a second hub in DEL? I would have thought with UK's planned international expansion plans, and the collapse of 9W there might be some opportunities their for SQ/Tata. It is probably not significant to SQ - the airline - other than funneling traffic from SIN to northern India/middle east and vice versa.

Search this Thread