Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

thoughts on closing KrisFlyer account and opening a new one in 2020 or 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I've received an email that my KrisFlyer account will be closed next month due to lack of activity. SQ has already done a good job of draining the small number of residual miles in it through their hard-deadline expiry policies. So there are < 500 points left in the account currently.

I have a credit card that earns transferable points and SQ is one of the partners. But I don't have plans, or needs, for an SQ ticket through the middle of 2020. And I've learned the hard way that parking miles in KrisFlyer is not a wise move.

So I plan to let the current account disappear, and then open a new one when I want to book an SQ award ticket later next year. The only other transaction that could be relevant is an MI flight booked for early 2020 SIN-HKT. It's in their lowest fare bucket, so the earning would be negligible. But I could always open a new account before my trip on MI to pick up a few hundred points.

Am I missing anything that would justify keeping the current KrisFlyer account open?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
I got an KrisFlyer account (was PPS 2008-2015) closed last year, and it took 1000 miles away from me!
Luckily I just drained the miles for SIN-SYD New Suites before they closed the whole thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.