Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Hassle-free to claim Krisflyer miles for bookings with Star Alliance airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Hi Fellow Travellers,

Just to share that it is more tedious to claim missing Krisflyer miles retrospectively for direct booking with Star Alliance airlines, e.g. Lufthansa and Swiss Air although the Krisflyer membership number was provided to the partner airlines during the bookings. When claiming the missing miles in Krisflyer account, it was rejected due to booking class in Swiss Air is not eligible for miles claim and I have to write in to Krisflyer customer service to check further and enquire why the miles earned was not captured automatically after taking the flight and have to go through troublesome and time consuming processes.

It is proven that booking of flights with Star Alliance airlines through a third party online booking platform will save the above-mentioned trouble and regardless of issue on different booking class with the Star Alliance airlines. I had booked a short flight from DKK to ZRH with Swiss Air through a third party online booking platform, Expedia in last year's May and the miles was credited to my Krisflyer account immediately after the flight. Recently I have alos booked return flight for my sister to ZRH through Expedia due to lower price compared to direct booking with Singapore Air and Swiss Air. Guess what? My sister received the miles earned immediately after her trip even she has the same booking class for her in-flight from SIN to ZRH.

If this is the case, wouldn't it be hassle-free and wonderful to book flights with Star Alliance Airlines through a third party booking platform while I still pay the same or cheaper fare and get the miles earned as a traveler?

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
It's not hotel points. Where you book the airline tickets is irrelevant when earning airline miles as long as the booking class is eligible.
chisquared likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marslee
Hi Fellow Travellers,

Just to share that it is more tedious to claim missing Krisflyer miles retrospectively for direct booking with Star Alliance airlines, e.g. Lufthansa and Swiss Air although the Krisflyer membership number was provided to the partner airlines during the bookings. When claiming the missing miles in Krisflyer account, it was rejected due to booking class in Swiss Air is not eligible for miles claim and I have to write in to Krisflyer customer service to check further and enquire why the miles earned was not captured automatically after taking the flight and have to go through troublesome and time consuming processes.

It is proven that booking of flights with Star Alliance airlines through a third party online booking platform will save the above-mentioned trouble and regardless of issue on different booking class with the Star Alliance airlines. I had booked a short flight from DKK to ZRH with Swiss Air through a third party online booking platform, Expedia in last year's May and the miles was credited to my Krisflyer account immediately after the flight. Recently I have alos booked return flight for my sister to ZRH through Expedia due to lower price compared to direct booking with Singapore Air and Swiss Air. Guess what? My sister received the miles earned immediately after her trip even she has the same booking class for her in-flight from SIN to ZRH.

If this is the case, wouldn't it be hassle-free and wonderful to book flights with Star Alliance Airlines through a third party booking platform while I still pay the same or cheaper fare and get the miles earned as a traveler?

Cheers.
Hi there, just to clarify that what I have been sharing is on air miles claim benefit through purchase of air ticket with third party online booking platform, i.e. eligible booking class was given with same airfare amount was being paid, compared to direct booking with the respective Star Alliance airlines.

I didnt even discuss on hotel booking, did I? Not sure why user "xiaotung" in the 2nd thread has the impression that I mentioned about hotel booking. Hopefully "xiaotung" was not taking side of the respective airlines and trying to confuse the readers of the forum.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Personally, I’ve never had any problems collecting miles I was eligible for when booking directly with the airline (e.g. Lufthansa, Austrian, United, etc).

My guess is that the flights the OP booked directly were in fare classes not eligible for mileage accrual, while the flights booked with OTAs were. Thus, this issue is actually not at all about the ease of collecting miles when booking directly vs. booking through an OTA.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
What's the booking class, route & airline you flew?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Hi there, just to clarify that what I have been sharing is on air miles claim benefit through purchase of air ticket with third party online booking platform, i.e. eligible booking class was given with same airfare amount was being paid, compared to direct booking with the respective Star Alliance airlines.

I didnt even discuss on hotel booking, did I? Not sure why user "xiaotung" in the 2nd thread has the impression that I mentioned about hotel booking. Hopefully "xiaotung" was not taking side of the respective airlines and trying to confuse the readers of the forum.
I used the hotel example because only hotel chains exclude rewarding points from third party bookings. Airlines do not have the same problem.

I also made myself clear that where you purchase the ticket is irrelevant as long as the booking class is an eligible one. If you are sure you had an eligible booking class and they rejected it, you should contact customer service and send in your ticket copy and/or boarding pass.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Krisflyer
It's always worth ensuring that your KF membership number has been recorded on the ticket when you check in. I fly with Virgin Australia and even if I check in online I will go to a staff member at check in or the lounge to make sure. For some reason VA's system always loses my KF number during the check in process and it has to be re-added manually by their staff. Otherwise, as you say, there can be a lot of inconvenience chasing after points.
Marslee likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
What's the booking class, route & airline you flew?
Hi,
The return direct flight from SIN to ZRH was booked with Swiss Air economy saver.
Due to different date for the outbound flight from ZRH to SIN, I booked for my sister with Swiss Air economy saver as well under separate booking reference with OTA, Expedia. My sister had paid the same airfarevas mine for economy saver class and her flight was eligible for miles claim. That was my point to share that booking with OTA, OTA managed to get my sister eligible booking class and captured her Krisflyer number. She got her miles credited right after the return flight while i get nothing for direct booking with airline itself.

After digested and accepted the fact that no miles earned for the flight in May 2019, Krisflyer Customer Service (KF) sent me further email enquiry yesterday to request me to provide the boarding pass of my flight in April 2019 from SIN to ZRH under Swiss Air Business travel class. Oh My! How can KF expect the passenger to keep the old boarding pass to ease their job? Well, I am so disappointed with KF working ability! I hope KF is not finding excuse not to process the miles claim.

Regards.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Marslee; Jun 13, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
OTA vs. booking direct doesn’t have anything to do with accruing miles. Your operating carrier (you haven’t mentioned your flight #) and your fare class (E, L , S, M, Y etc.) determines that.

In your case what I think is that while you booked economy saver at the same price they were tickets in different fare classes. For instance your ticket might have been in L fare class which is not eligible for miles in KF whereas your sister’s economy saver could have been in S fare class which is eligible for accrual in KF. Hence KF is refusing to credit your miles. Do check your flight # and fare class and share that. Those are the only two things that determine whether or not you’ll earn miles.

Also asking for the BP is standard silly response (completely outdated and impractical in today’s eBP era). Sharing your ticket copy will help you get your miles credited (as long as you’re eligible)!
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
OTA vs. booking direct doesn’t have anything to do with accruing miles. Your operating carrier (you haven’t mentioned your flight #) and your fare class (E, L , S, M, Y etc.) determines that.

In your case what I think is that while you booked economy saver at the same price they were tickets in different fare classes. For instance your ticket might have been in L fare class which is not eligible for miles in KF whereas your sister’s economy saver could have been in S fare class which is eligible for accrual in KF. Hence KF is refusing to credit your miles. Do check your flight # and fare class and share that. Those are the only two things that determine whether or not you’ll earn miles.

Also asking for the BP is standard silly response (completely outdated and impractical in today’s eBP era). Sharing your ticket copy will help you get your miles credited (as long as you’re eligible)!
Well, I have a different view based on the 2 cases I experienced. It appeared that booking via OTA saved me the trouble from having to ensure whether the booking class of my flights is eligible for accruing miles or not. As a passenger, I guess "Hassle-free" is the key word I will look for in selecting whether to book air ticket directly with the airlines or via OTA without paying anything extra, i.e. even airfare for economy saver would also allocated eligible booking class. I also don't really want to spare my time and memory to take note of the accruing booking class concept. What I want is, I pay for for the ticket and the miles accruing is well taken care of by the respective parties.

I thought of sharing my experiences with other passengers who also enjoy Hassle-free but still receive accruing miles like me, you may have different view but let's stick to the topic of the forum "Hassle-free...".

Oh! By the way, I didn't have to go through such a hassle when I booked Emirates flight under Skywards membership. Perhaps I shall consider sticking to Skywards instead of supporting KF under my homeland's airline operator. That was why I am really disappointing with KF's customer service.

Thanks.

Last edited by Marslee; Jun 13, 2019 at 6:40 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Well, I have a different view based on the 2 cases I experienced. It appeared that booking via OTA saved me the trouble from having to ensure whether the booking class of my flights is eligible for accruing miles or not. As a passenger, I guess "Hassle-free" is the key word I will look for in selecting whether to book air ticket directly with the airlines or via OTA without paying anything extra.
The problem with your view is that you could just as easily buy a ticket using an OTA that books to a non-miles-accruing fare class as well. 'Hassle-free' and 'consistent miles earning' are 2 non-compatible concepts. You cannot decide to take a totally hands-off approach and expect your miles to be accrued in all cases.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:29 pm

Well, I have a different view based on the 2 cases I experienced. It appeared that booking via OTA saved me the trouble from having to ensure whether the booking class of my flights is eligible for accruing miles or not.
Ummm... you can certainly have a different view from more seasoned travelers that's your choice. But what makes you think the OTA would not allow you to enter a FFP which was not eligible for accruing miles? Why do you think the OTA would stop you from doing that? The only thing the OTA can check is if the FFP is a partner of the marketing airline (not even the operating carrier).
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
You are certainly welcome to stick to OTAs. However, if you do so, I would wager that you will be back shortly complaining about not having received any miles from your booking.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:12 am

so OTA is not the best way to get the miles?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:42 am

Getting (or not getting) miles has nothing to do with OTAs.

In fact unless the fare is significantly cheaper through the OTA or I was doing a complex routing involving multiple airlines I’d avoid OTAs because of 2 reasons - huge change/cancellation fees & restrictions over and above what the airlines charge and I’d be lower in the pecking order in case of IRROPS unless I had status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.