Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Question about how change fees work on SQ and also for death in family

Old Jun 7, 19, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed may not reflect the airlines I work for. However, they may make you smile!

My partner's mother in Japan is in her final days and the doctor advised that we should visit her as soon as possible. I found a fare on SQ from SFO-LAX-NRT (roundtrip, with the first segment operated by Alaska Airlines) that can be booked in M class for all segments. The fare rules say the change fee is only $50, and there is also a $200 cancellation fee and a $100 no show fee. We are going to reserve an itinerary that will give us a couple of weeks there for now.

If we need to stay longer (i.e. we may need more time to arrange for a funeral) and change our ticket, does that mean it is just $50 if done in advance provided M class is available on the new itinerary? Or does SQ charge the change fee and the fare difference even if the new segments are also booked in M (I know that M class has several price levels within it and that prices fluctuate). Many of the US airlines are charging both the change fee and fare difference these days, even when the new itinerary is booked under the same booking code, so I thought I'd ask.

Also, does SQ waive change fees for death in family with proper documentation? It's only $50 so I don't mind if they don't. The flexibility of this fare is much better than what competitors offer in this market (most want $200 for the change fee).

Finally, any problem with booking this through Expedia if we need to make changes? I usually tell people to book through the airline, but in this case SQ doesn't sell it on their web site. They only sell it over the phone for another $50 phone fee.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by John26; Jun 7, 19 at 4:58 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jun 8, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I believe SQ will waive the phone booking fee if it's not possible to book online. See Does SQ waive booking fee for cash tickets booked on phone? I guess you can ask about rebooking fees at the same time.

Last edited by onlySIA; Jun 8, 19 at 12:39 am Reason: add sentence
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by John26 View Post
My partner's mother in Japan is in her final days and the doctor advised that we should visit her as soon as possible. I found a fare on SQ from SFO-LAX-NRT (roundtrip, with the first segment operated by Alaska Airlines) that can be booked in M class for all segments. The fare rules say the change fee is only $50, and there is also a $200 cancellation fee and a $100 no show fee. We are going to reserve an itinerary that will give us a couple of weeks there for now.

If we need to stay longer (i.e. we may need more time to arrange for a funeral) and change our ticket, does that mean it is just $50 if done in advance provided M class is available on the new itinerary? Or does SQ charge the change fee and the fare difference even if the new segments are also booked in M (I know that M class has several price levels within it and that prices fluctuate). Many of the US airlines are charging both the change fee and fare difference these days, even when the new itinerary is booked under the same booking code, so I thought I'd ask.

Also, does SQ waive change fees for death in family with proper documentation? It's only $50 so I don't mind if they don't. The flexibility of this fare is much better than what competitors offer in this market (most want $200 for the change fee).

Finally, any problem with booking this through Expedia if we need to make changes? I usually tell people to book through the airline, but in this case SQ doesn't sell it on their web site. They only sell it over the phone for another $50 phone fee.

Thanks so much.
​​​​​​First off, sorry to hear about the family situation.

SQ will waive the fees in such cases. They might ask for a copy of the death certificate as proof but are usually good when it comes to family situations.

All the best
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Echo the above- Sorry for the circumstances, and, prayers and hopes.

I am no SQ fan in general, but have found them to be accommodating in special circumstances that were less serious- like opening up award inventory & waiving change fee for medically ‘ideal’ reasons(as opposed to required). At the risk of sounding insensitive, the change penalty on the fare is quite reasonable on an absolute basis.

The best of wishes.

edited to add: you probably already know this, but the fees will work as below:
change fee: if you want to change the dates on the flights, subject to availability in the dame fareclass.
cancellation fee: if you decide to not use the ticket at all and want a refund.
no show fee: if you do not change your flights, and miss them, and want the ticket to be reinstated/used on a later date (both no show, and change, fee will apply). If, for example you decide to just not use the return leg, and book a separate ticket back to SFO, no fees would be payable for this ticket.

Last edited by jagmeets; Jun 8, 19 at 10:37 am